Moparts

HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH....???

Posted By: Thumperdart

HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH....??? - 05/03/09 07:09 PM

I got my ISKY part #9365 plus series valve springs yesturday and after some carefull measuring they come in at 265 seat and 600+ open pressures. My concern is about liveable pressures on the street and how much is too much in terms of my Harland-sharp rockers and shafts. We also removed the inner spring on the new ones and replaced it w/my old inners and the pressure dropped to 230 seat and about 580 open so, which would you run? My old #`s were 200-210 seat and 525 open but my car seemed to level out on the second half of the track which is why I`m changing em out.....much appreciated.
Posted By: cudabin

Re: HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH....??? - 05/03/09 07:34 PM

I would run both new springs. I don't think 600+ spring pressure will cause any problems as long as you don't idle too long, or set idle rpm too low...

My two cents!

Arnie

Re: HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH....??? - 05/03/09 08:09 PM

Now the next issue......because these are set up for a 1.950 installed height and my rpm`s are at 1.900-1.915 the inners go into coil bind at .680 lift which my cam is. And I don`t like the idea that I can`t idle it cos after all, it IS a street car. What to do?
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH....??? - 05/03/09 09:02 PM

Maybe try some offset locks that increase installed height.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH....??? - 05/03/09 09:19 PM

Look into a +.050 lock... comp 614-16
Posted By: moparniac

Re: HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH....??? - 05/03/09 10:02 PM

I was always under the impression that the inch lbs of the springs is what makes it more streetable or not...

Re: HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH....??? - 05/04/09 12:17 AM

So, I gather you guys feel I should use the new springs and adjust the installed height instead of using the old inners and lowering the pressures. I`ll think about it for a bit and go from there.
Posted By: tjmarcus1

Re: HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH....??? - 05/04/09 12:57 AM

Quote:

So, I gather you guys feel I should use the new springs and adjust the installed height instead of using the old inners and lowering the pressures. I`ll think about it for a bit and go from there.

definitely use the new ones i think that idle thing applies more to a flat tappet cam like us "little boys" run
Posted By: cmcgee123

Re: HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH....??? - 05/04/09 01:01 AM

Quote:

yeah dom either cut the valve pocket or use the offset lock mr p body suggested. oh on an off note i got the 6 pt finished in the cuda and will be making some full passes at irwindale this week.
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH....??? - 05/04/09 01:08 AM

Quote:

i think that idle thing applies more to a flat tappet cam like us "little boys" run

I'm no expert..but I agree. I don't see that idle speed or idle time should mean much with a roller.

Re: HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH....??? - 05/04/09 03:26 AM

Thankxx guys.......I can`t cut the valve pockets cos the heads are still on the car and I don`t plan on removing em. I run lash caps so will the keepers you guys discribe work w/those locks? I need to get this handled soon since I`m racing on the 10th. Thankxx again.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH....??? - 05/04/09 03:39 AM

Quote:

I would use what ever parts you need to get the pressures even. I use 250 lbs. seat pressures and 630 lbs open on my 512 with Harland Sharp rockers for two years and 275 lbs seat and 650 lbs. open now for the last two years.

Re: HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH....??? - 05/04/09 03:44 AM

Thankxx Cab..........Now I just have to figure out how to get the inner spring out of coil bind.
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH....??? - 05/04/09 06:18 AM

if your cam lift is .680, it wont be once you have lash and deflection.
© 2024 Moparts Forums