Moparts

world block problem

Posted By: juicedcuda

world block problem - 05/01/09 02:42 AM

A buddy of mine is building a stroker using a new iron world block. The motor is almost finished but the shop is running into a problem. It seems the cam gear is hitting the timing chain cover. He tried several different covers with all the same results. They tried double gaskets and still no luck. Everything is lined up internally as well. Anyone else ever hear of this happening?
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: world block problem - 05/01/09 03:01 AM

Is the cam walking forward? I had a big problem with that. Had so much forward thrust I wound up with a geardrive, and a pressure oiled thrust button.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: world block problem - 05/01/09 03:24 AM

The only thing I can think of is the surface that
the timing cover bolts to was machined down too far,
since you tried multiple covers and they all did the
same. I assume all the lifters line up on the cam
properly and the timing gear isnt forward

Re: world block problem - 05/01/09 03:40 AM

Everything is lined up on the cam. And the timing gear seems to be in the correct place. I was wondering about the surface being machined to low as well.

Re: world block problem - 05/01/09 03:41 AM

Quote:

Is the cam walking forward? I had a big problem with that. Had so much forward thrust I wound up with a geardrive, and a pressure oiled thrust button.

If everything is lined up, could it still be too much forward thrust. How does he check this?
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: world block problem - 05/01/09 07:07 PM

I would try another timing set, then you should be able to tell if the block is machined wrong or the timing gear is sticking out too far. Is it hitting the cam bolts or the chain?
Posted By: Mopar_Rich

Re: world block problem - 05/01/09 08:39 PM

Check the obvious first. I had an issue once when I didn't "seat" the crankshaft gear all the way back. The crankshaft gear was very tight on the crank. Because of that, the chain pulled the cam forward just enough to touch. I also had to grind a little off the cam gear bolt heads.
© 2024 Moparts Forums