Moparts

See how to find a small oil leak

Posted By: dvw

See how to find a small oil leak - 04/17/24 08:39 PM

Plug off your breathers and dipstick. Mine has a vacuum pump so no breathers to worry about. The dipstick is O ringed so it seals. Grab yourself a handy dandy Harbor Frieght regulator. This one was $7. Attach the hose to the valve cover at about 5 psi. Spray away with the soapy water. When the trans was pulled for service there was a little oil at the bottom. Just a few drops at the bottom of the bell housing. Once the trans was out everything looked dry. As always this method finds any leak.
Doug

Attached picture Screenshot_20240417_162539_Photos.jpg
Attached picture Screenshot_20240417_162233_Gallery.jpg
Attached picture 20240417_161809.jpg
Posted By: rickraw

Re: See how to find a small oil leak - 04/17/24 09:12 PM

Sweet. I always put some ultra gray around the plug just for extra measure.
Posted By: Neil

Re: See how to find a small oil leak - 04/17/24 09:13 PM

Very clever idea.

It's a good idea to use a sealer around cam plugs I think. Most people don't do it that I've noticed, but the sealing contact surface on those is so narrow it makes me think twice about them. The last engine I built I took my finger and smeared some sealant around it after the plug was installed anyways just in case.
Posted By: Gabby63

Re: See how to find a small oil leak - 04/17/24 10:05 PM

Thanks Doug , we all love cheap & easy . Gary
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: See how to find a small oil leak - 04/18/24 10:26 AM

Cool tip, ever since I had one of those plugs fall out I smear them heavily with RTV, then I remember it can't be seen and I smear a little more.

When I lost one of those from my 360 it only leaked under heavy acceleration. Just driving or idling it didn't leak. Hammer down and you got a bellhousing full of oil.
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: See how to find a small oil leak - 04/18/24 11:32 AM

I learned from day one - Indian Head Gasket Shellac on freeze plugs - Then I back that up with a bead of grey Permatex
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: See how to find a small oil leak - 04/18/24 01:42 PM

Conversely, you'll find a crankcase leak with sight, sound, and possibly smell and feel (ouch) if you don't trouble using a regulator?
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: See how to find a small oil leak - 04/18/24 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleD
I learned from day one - Indian Head Gasket Shellac on freeze plugs - Then I back that up with a bead of grey Permatex
Green wicking Loctite too!
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: See how to find a small oil leak - 04/18/24 02:37 PM

Great idea.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: See how to find a small oil leak - 04/18/24 06:12 PM

I use Ultra grey on that. Some on it when it goes in, and a coating around outside to be sure.

A leak there would be about as fun as a rear main seal leak.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: See how to find a small oil leak - 04/18/24 06:19 PM

I have one of these cheap smoke machines from Amazon.

I have found it invaluable in sealing up a race engine to pull a good vacuum with a pump.

https://www.amazon.com/AutoLine-Pro-Automotive-Diagnostic-SMK-1/dp/B06XHRBKTM?th=1
Posted By: dvw

Re: See how to find a small oil leak - 04/19/24 11:36 AM

It was installed with Ultra-Grey. I was just to stingy. It has enough now.
Doug
© 2024 Moparts Forums