Moparts

Oil pressure gauge line leaked --> need new carpet

Posted By: Brad_Haak

Oil pressure gauge line leaked --> need new carpet - 04/04/24 01:40 PM

Not sure why, cuz the connections are very straight forward, but the AutoMeter mechanical oil pressure gauge in the '73 leaked at the fitting during the initial start-up and soaked the d-a-mn carpet w/ 10w40. Nothing looked wrong, but...

Anyone trust electric oil pressure gauges instead of mechanical? I always wanted mechanical for "real time" response & readings, but am now wondering if I should swap it out.

$.02 either way appreciated. Thx
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Oil pressure gauge line leaked --> need new carpet - 04/04/24 01:51 PM

initial start-up- Was the gauge new, was it a new install? If not how old was the line? Plastic/copper line? Id not let one bad time make me stray from a mech. gauge as much as it stinks it happened.

Ive had a few of the plastic line units develop a drip after many years so I just bought the line/fitting kit and all was good.

Originally Posted by Brad_Haak
Not sure why, cuz the connections are very straight forward, but the AutoMeter mechanical oil pressure gauge in the '73 leaked at the fitting during the initial start-up and soaked the d-a-mn carpet w/ 10w40. Nothing looked wrong, but...

Anyone trust electric oil pressure gauges instead of mechanical? I always wanted mechanical for "real time" response & readings, but am now wondering if I should swap it out.

$.02 either way appreciated. Thx
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Oil pressure gauge line leaked --> need new carpet - 04/04/24 01:52 PM

What kind of line are you using? I use stainless braided line, never had a leak. Bad fitting?

Re: Oil pressure gauge line leaked --> need new carpet - 04/04/24 01:53 PM

New AutoMeter gauge with new AutoMeter braided line kit
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Oil pressure gauge line leaked --> need new carpet - 04/04/24 02:08 PM

I’d make a new line & fittings. That supplied line is probably from chino
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Oil pressure gauge line leaked --> need new carpet - 04/04/24 02:57 PM

Dawn Platinum and hot water washes it right out.

DAMHIK

Re: Oil pressure gauge line leaked --> need new carpet - 04/04/24 03:24 PM

There's a brand new ACC carpet sitting in my basement waiting for me to pull the interior out... but I haven't been motivated to mess with it
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Oil pressure gauge line leaked --> need new carpet - 04/04/24 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Brad_Haak
New AutoMeter gauge with new AutoMeter braided line kit

The braided line and AN fittings should be the best. But something didn't go right...
Hard to say if it wasn't tight, debris in the AN flare, or fitting didn't seal to the hose. I would just cut off an inch and remake that end.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Oil pressure gauge line leaked --> need new carpet - 04/04/24 04:11 PM

If you a 1/4 inch size line instead of the tiny standard size tiny line (CRS on that proper line size #: blush:) the oil pressure gauge will act like a tach, immediate response up
Posted By: moparx

Re: Oil pressure gauge line leaked --> need new carpet - 04/04/24 04:19 PM

i believe most oil pressure lines that come with [almost] any guage are 1/8".
aren't most a/n conversion hoses -3 ?
beer
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Oil pressure gauge line leaked --> need new carpet - 04/04/24 04:27 PM

I'm thinking they are 1/16 I.D., not 1/8 I.D.
The 1/4 inch I.D. copper line I used work like a charm, it was enlightening how rapid it would change readings when driving the car or revving the motor up out of gear up scope
I was told by a NHRA tech guy later to remove it and put the smaller ling back in that bracket car rant wink
Looking back I should have used a stainless covered #4 AN line and fittings up twocents
Posted By: moparx

Re: Oil pressure gauge line leaked --> need new carpet - 04/04/24 04:30 PM

yes, 1/16 inside diameter, 1/8" outside diameter Cab.
i was referring to the OD. sorry for the confusion.
i also like the larger OD tubing/hose for fast response time.
beer
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Oil pressure gauge line leaked --> need new carpet - 04/04/24 04:41 PM

Maybe bad fitting on the gauge end. Should be a clean -3 or -4 an male fitting there. Could be is buggered up a tad on the angle on the flare?
Posted By: Tig

Re: Oil pressure gauge line leaked --> need new carpet - 04/04/24 06:09 PM

Yep, same happened to me, the plastic line kinked and split a little allowing oil to drip onto the carpet, I went to an electric autometer, then to a Dakota dash. No issues, both are very responsive. IIRC the race scrutineers don't like oil lines in the drivers compartment anyway.

Re: Oil pressure gauge line leaked --> need new carpet - 04/04/24 06:28 PM

Just checked out AutoMeter's electrical options: a standard version about the same $ as the mechanical I have now, and a "hi zoot" version that's supposed to be very sensitive to pressure changes.... but also costs 3-4 times what the simpler gauges do

Will give the current fittings and hose a good close look and see if anything obvious is jacked up, then go from there
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Oil pressure gauge line leaked --> need new carpet - 04/04/24 06:51 PM

That supplied line is probably from chino

Well sheeet, there's your problem !!!
Posted By: Uberpube

Re: Oil pressure gauge line leaked --> need new carpet - 04/05/24 12:26 AM

https://yellowjacket.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/High-Pressure-Control-Hose.pdf

Used one of these for 10 years on my oil pressure gauge, was left over from a job, works great. Its 45 deg flare.
© 2024 Moparts Forums