Moparts

vacuum Catch can location.

Posted By: racerx

vacuum Catch can location. - 03/30/24 12:22 PM

Were do you mount yours? Looking for a better location on my turbo setup.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: vacuum Catch can location. - 03/30/24 01:59 PM

I have mine mounted to my front plate.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: vacuum Catch can location. - 03/30/24 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by 6PKRTSE
I have mine mounted to my front plate.
Me too, right next to the pump up
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: vacuum Catch can location. - 03/30/24 05:57 PM

I have mounted them on the motorplate, the side of the radiator, core support and downtubes or strut bars. Just depends on what type of chassis. The downfall of a chassis car is sometimes room especially up front gets really tight. Some random examples of some of my stuff.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: vacuum Catch can location. - 04/01/24 01:54 PM

Passenger's side of the motorplate. Vacuum pump is on the driver's side.

Re: vacuum Catch can location. - 04/01/24 03:44 PM

Same as mine pulling from one valve cover. Anyone see any additional vacuum increase by putting a Tee fitting within the line to pull from both sides from both valve covers?

Re: vacuum Catch can location. - 04/01/24 11:01 PM

The catch can location that everyone is showing, what's the trick to keeping that filter from oiling up? This is my reasoning for asking this question.
I thought about just moving it to the rear like catch cans for trans.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: vacuum Catch can location. - 04/02/24 12:38 AM

The windage starts around the crankshaft and rises,, I don't think you need to have it suck from both sides twocents work up

Re: vacuum Catch can location. - 04/02/24 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by racerx
The catch can location that everyone is showing, what's the trick to keeping that filter from oiling up? This is my reasoning for asking this question.

I run this Moroso 22635 fitting. It helps from sucking oil.

Attached picture mor-22635_w.jpg
Posted By: sr4440

Re: vacuum Catch can location. - 04/02/24 09:17 PM

Every time I had an engine that is pulling oil (minus putting it in the lifter valley), the way to stop it was to seal the engine up. Without air or blowby, oil can't be pulled into the vacuum pump. I had engines with huge vacuum leak that pulled 3 or 4 oz per dyno pull, at that point we stop and find the source of the leak.

Joe

Re: vacuum Catch can location. - 04/03/24 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by 6PKRTSE
Originally Posted by racerx

I run this Moroso 22635 fitting. It helps from sucking oil.

Those are the fitting that i run shruggy
Posted By: Tig

Re: vacuum Catch can location. - 04/03/24 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by sr4440
Every time I had an engine that is pulling oil (minus putting it in the lifter valley), the way to stop it was to seal the engine up. Without air or blowby, oil can't be pulled into the vacuum pump. I had engines with huge vacuum leak that pulled 3 or 4 oz per dyno pull, at that point we stop and find the source of the leak.

Joe

Agreed, I've also seen vacuum regulators fitted to valve covers tsk
Posted By: moparacer

Re: vacuum Catch can location. - 04/03/24 02:03 PM

Joe

iagree

Leaks cause too much air to move through the engine and that makes it pull a lot of oil.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: vacuum Catch can location. - 04/03/24 03:04 PM

Joe

Exactly....

Re: vacuum Catch can location. - 04/05/24 10:18 AM

How are you all baffling your valve covers to slow up the oil suction?

Re: vacuum Catch can location. - 04/05/24 10:29 AM

I have two engines with a vac pump, neither of the valve covers has a baffle for the vac line. The amount of oil drawn through is negligible, I get more water in the catch can than oil and it isn't a lot. If I do start to get oil in the can I check for a leak, rocker cover gaskets, loose fittings etc. As has been stated, if the engine is sealed well and the vac relief valve (if used) is in the correct position you should draw very little oil.

Re: vacuum Catch can location. - 04/05/24 11:28 AM

As has been stated, if the engine is sealed well and the vac relief valve (if used) is in the correct position you should draw very little oil.
Actually it's more moister than oil(e-85 fuel)I'm running a Moroso catch can with the baffle at the top. Most cars i see at the track has some sort of rag that's rap around the filter area to catch the excess oil.
I was looking at Motion works catch cans and they clam to not have this problem.

Re: vacuum Catch can location. - 04/05/24 11:42 AM

Yeah, I've seen that sweatband thing too and I will get a witness film around that area where it is in the car. The vac pump does draw condensation from the motor but once warm it's gone maybe a couple of minutes or more on a colder day. The actual catch can has a baffle in it and a drain petcock, it's about 90% water when I drain it. I'm guessing it takes longer to warm an engine up on E85 ?

Re: vacuum Catch can location. - 04/05/24 03:06 PM

I drain my catch can after every pass out of habit almost never even get a drop or two. I also drain it whenever I think about it after hundreds of street miles just to double check. Almost never get anything out of it then either. I run a vacuum sensor through the Racepak also so I always know vacuum is still good.

I do the same with draining my rad overflow as well. I usually get a little more from this if hotter temps outside.
© 2024 Moparts Forums