Moparts

leaking sand hole in block

Posted By: 70shaker

leaking sand hole in block - 04/26/09 04:20 PM

I have been chasing an oil leak in my Hemi and found it to be what looks like a sand hole defect in the block about 1" above the pan rail. It is a very small imperfection about 1/4" long. It is not a crack. More like a small recess.

I have never run into anything like this before. I am hoping something like JB weld will seal it up rather than brazing it.

Has anyone run into something like this and how did you fix it?
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 04/26/09 04:46 PM

Posted By: mcat4321

Re: leaking sand hole in block - 04/26/09 04:54 PM

Quote:

JB or drill and tap it for a pipe fitting

that Fred is a smart fellow..
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: leaking sand hole in block - 04/26/09 05:03 PM

JB WELD forever!!! A neat trick with JB is that you can take a little paint thinner on your finger a SMOOTH it out before it hardens ( great tip for those push rod places on a head ) or on the side of a block you can "smooth" it out with a little thinner then press some like 80 or 30 something grit sand paper on it for that just cast look--
I agree with Fred--smear without fear!
Posted By: 70shaker

Re: leaking sand hole in block - 04/27/09 02:14 PM

Thanks guys
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: leaking sand hole in block - 04/27/09 03:18 PM

I would pull the oil pan off and seal it on the inside also Clean it very thoroughly with brake cleaner or laquer thinner to get rid of the oil residue and then heat it up with a heat gun or haoir dryer until it is hot enough to dry any and all oil reisidue, hotter than you can touch in other words. Let it cool and patch away
© 2024 Moparts Forums