Moparts

68 Dart roll cage kit

Posted By: LSP

68 Dart roll cage kit - 02/19/24 01:01 PM

What's kits are out there that fits well, and will cert to 7.50?

Thanks
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: 68 Dart roll cage kit - 02/19/24 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by LSP

Thanks

If you are looking for something that will cert to 7.50, I'd suggest a custom bent cage, and not a kit. Custom will fit MUCH better.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: 68 Dart roll cage kit - 02/19/24 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
Originally Posted by LSP

Thanks

If you are looking for something that will cert to 7.50, I'd suggest a custom bent cage, and not a kit. Custom will fit MUCH better.

Agreed. Most kits are cut to fit anyway. A custom cage, you can get tighter bends and a tighter fitting, nicer appearance cage once done. Several bars have changed in recent years. Make sure you have an updated NHRA rule book, or use someone that is up to date on current certs/specs. 3 of my buddies cars failed the last 25.5 re-cert inspection, where my car still passed due to my OCD to begin with it still fell within the newer rules.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 68 Dart roll cage kit - 02/19/24 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
Originally Posted by LSP

Thanks

iagree
My new drag car is already certed to 7.50 and I ask the chassis builder about updating it to 6.00 certs and he said no way, start from scratch or take it somewhere else.
You need to be very safe in any drag cars that go that fast, have it built for you up twocents
Posted By: GY3

Re: 68 Dart roll cage kit - 02/19/24 05:52 PM

The local chassis shop that I used for a 6 pt. thought of things I hadn't considered.

Since they do it every day, they were able to fit it closely, turned it around quickly and made it look really nice!

In the broad scheme of things it was probably cheaper, too! What's your time worth?

Since you live in NASCAR country I would think you would have no shortage of guys that can whip up a cage for you!
Posted By: topside

Re: 68 Dart roll cage kit - 02/19/24 06:35 PM

^^^ That's what I'm thinking - OP is probably not far from a mecca of fabrication.
Definitely need to refer to NHRA rulebook.
Problem with kits is some don't appear to fit tightly to the pillars, which not only looks unattractive but imposes more obstructions to seeing out of the car.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: 68 Dart roll cage kit - 02/19/24 07:12 PM

Chassis Works

THey have templates that you use to give them measurements. They custom bend it to your measurements

I did that for the 8.50 14pt cage, then just purchased the funny car cage kit.

Mine fits great and evertime it certs the NHRA guys ask me who built the car, it looks that good in there
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: 68 Dart roll cage kit - 02/19/24 11:56 PM

First thing you need to buy, if you already haven't, is a copy of the SFI spec you're going to build to.

Read through it. Think about how you're going to get it all in there and welded up. Plenty of ways to skin that cat.

If you decide to cut the roof off and/or take the floor out, you won't be the first.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: 68 Dart roll cage kit - 02/20/24 01:25 AM

Yeah, at some point you either have to remove the floor or cut the roof of to make the cage correctly. Just depends on who is building the car and which tricks they like to use.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: 68 Dart roll cage kit - 02/20/24 01:57 AM

We cut big enough holes at each location of the down bars so that we could set the cage down through the holes after everything was tach in. Welded everything up top and down on both sides as far as we could. Then set it back up in place finished welding the bottoms of the welds and added the remaining bars as needed. I then split the pieces we cut out of the floor at the centerline of each tube into two pieces, notched all of the floor pieces around the tubes and welded the factory floor pieces back in and welded the floor back to the tubes also.
© 2024 Moparts Forums