Moparts

setting static timing with electronic distributor?

Posted By: Hemi_Joel

setting static timing with electronic distributor? - 01/17/24 11:12 PM

Hi, With points, it is easy to set the initial timing with the engine off using a test light or a VOM. With electronics, I have always just eyeballed the reluctor, and it is usually way off when I start it.
Is there an accurate way to pre-set the initial timing? In this instance I am using an MSD distributor and an MSD digital 6AL box.

Thanks, Joel
Posted By: AndyF

Re: setting static timing with electronic distributor? - 01/18/24 12:19 AM

It is a little different with electronic since you have to know if it is wired for rising edge or falling edge of the signal. With a Hall effect sensor you can use a volt meter since the sensor outputs a square wave. Usually 0 to 12 volt square wave. MSD distributors use a magnetic pulse which isn't very square so it is hard to measure. It still varies from 0 to 12 but it isn't square.
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: setting static timing with electronic distributor? - 01/18/24 12:48 PM

I set the damper and to 20 and line up the magnet and reluctor tooth or crank sensor (trigger), never had an issue. It needs a little tweaking long term but they fire right up and are always close enough for break-in. What problems are you having? How are you doing it?
Posted By: metallicareload

Re: setting static timing with electronic distributor? - 01/18/24 05:21 PM

iagree I do the same, usually seems like a few more degrees needs to be added in if 20° was what you wanted (triggers on the falling edgeshruggy)
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: setting static timing with electronic distributor? - 01/18/24 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by B1MAXX
I set the damper and to 20 and line up the magnet and reluctor tooth or crank sensor (trigger), never had an issue. It needs a little tweaking long term but they fire right up and are always close enough for break-in. What problems are you having? How are you doing it?

Thanks for the replies.
I've done it that way with success, but last time I did it was so retarded it sneezed.
I'll keep doing of that way. I was just wondering if there was a more precise method.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: setting static timing with electronic distributor? - 01/18/24 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by B1MAXX

I like to set the initial off the pickup at 15 BTDC on the balancer to the timing tab and go from there, wrench scope Works good, last a long time boogie
© 2024 Moparts Forums