Moparts

Twisted Trans Crossmemeber - Common?

Posted By: markz528

Twisted Trans Crossmemeber - Common? - 12/16/23 12:35 AM

Putting my tranny back in my 67 Coronet race car. The trans crossmember appears to be twisted about 1.5 degrees. Never noticed it before so no idea if always like that or happened due to pounding at the track. I can't fix it, so will make a custom mount to make up the difference in the twist.

Is this common? Should I be worried?

Attached picture IMG_5338.JPG
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Twisted Trans Crossmemeber - Common? - 12/16/23 01:00 AM

The driver side crossmember looks smashed in the upward direction? Does it use the 66-67 -style tranmission mount?

Re: Twisted Trans Crossmemeber - Common? - 12/16/23 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
The driver side crossmember looks smashed in the upward direction? Does it use the 66-67 -style tranmission mount?

It does. I have a poly mount. I also have a midplate. Owned the car for 42 years but first time I really see it clearly now that I have a lift. I don't think its smashed. Just a bad picture. No idea how long it has been like this.

Is it a problem?
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: Twisted Trans Crossmemeber - Common? - 12/16/23 01:38 PM

They are all kind of like that. Some straight, some twisted like yours. Body tolerances coming down the line aren't that tight.

Re: Twisted Trans Crossmemeber - Common? - 12/16/23 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by B1MAXX
They are all kind of like that. Some straight, some twisted like yours. Body tolerances coming down the line aren't that tight.

The thing is that its installed straight. My reference is the area of the crossmember where the frame connectors are tied into. It starts twisting right around where the removable trans mount starts.

I suppose it could have been made that way, but really don't know.
Posted By: topside

Re: Twisted Trans Crossmemeber - Common? - 12/16/23 04:48 PM

Looks to me like someone pried down on it from the rear - looks like buckling where the holes are.
I don't think I've seen that before.
Posted By: Gabby63

Re: Twisted Trans Crossmemeber - Common? - 12/16/23 10:30 PM

I see the nut is not pulled tight to the mount . Could it be possible it is not pushed up all the way . My 63 has this style of cross member & mount . Gary
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Twisted Trans Crossmemeber - Common? - 12/17/23 08:06 PM

Do you have a fore/aft limiter ? I used to have problems with transmission mounts until I put a limiter on my car. To me it was a must to keep my clutch adjustment consistent.

Gus beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums