Moparts

Billy Godbold's book is good

Posted By: AndyF

Billy Godbold's book is good - 11/14/23 04:53 AM

Billy Godbold's book on Cams and Valvetrains is available now. I typically buy all the car books that come out and generally they are a disappointment but not this time. Billy packs a ton of tech into this book. In fact, it has so much tech I wouldn't recommend this book for anyone other than serious students. It is not an easy read that you can just skim thru and look at the pictures. He obviously has worked on a lot of really high performance engines and it shows. Some of the stuff he talks about isn't known outside of the handful of guys who build engines that win at the highest levels.
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Billy Godbold's book is good - 11/14/23 12:50 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to pick up a copy to add to my collection along with books from David Vizard and some guy named Finkbeener...

grin
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: Billy Godbold's book is good - 11/14/23 12:54 PM

What is the title of the book? I will pick up a copy.
Posted By: blue_stocker

Re: Billy Godbold's book is good - 11/14/23 06:04 PM

Is this the one you're talking about?
Billy Godbold's book on Cams and Valvetrains

Attached picture valve train book.jpg
Posted By: CKessel

Re: Billy Godbold's book is good - 11/14/23 06:15 PM

I'll add it into my tech collection along with your two.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Billy Godbold's book is good - 11/16/23 12:01 AM

His approach to picking a cam for a max effort race engine is very different than what most engine builders do. I have a couple of high effort engines in the shop at the moment so I'll try some of his tricks. Billy starts with the physical constraints and works backwards. Typically people buy and cam and then see if it fits, or else they buy a cam and kit and bolt it in. Billy says he likes to design a cam around a known, proven valve spring. He also designs around minimum valve to piston clearance on the intake side since the piston will pull the intake charge into the combustion chamber when the piston is very close to the intake valve. And he sorts valve springs by coil bind height and works off of bind height. Most engine builders double check for bind but they don't sort springs by bind height and then set up the valvetrain off the bind height. Of course, what Billy is talking about really only applies to max effort engines. He is working on NHRA class winner type of engine or NASCAR and F1 stuff. Still interesting to see how those guys do stuff even if it isn't needed on the average street rod engine.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Billy Godbold's book is good - 11/16/23 12:32 AM

I just recieved my copy. Just a quick glance tells me it will be challenging to take it all in! Then try and put some of it to use.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Billy Godbold's book is good - 11/16/23 01:36 AM

Any applicability to street applications or just competition?
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Billy Godbold's book is good - 11/16/23 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by gregsdart
I just recieved my copy. Just a quick glance tells me it will be challenging to take it all in! Then try and put some of it to use.

I've had the book for several weeks. It definitely challenges my ability to slow down and focus. Speed reading does not work with this stuff.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Billy Godbold's book is good - 11/16/23 04:18 PM

I have dealt with Billy off and on while he was still at Comp for over the 30 years that I have worked in the racing industry. He was always very helpful and very knowledgeable.
Posted By: Bailey Law

Re: Billy Godbold's book is good - 11/25/23 02:33 PM

Thank you! I need to order this book on Amazon.
Udp arrived today, and serious and meticulous technical work has indeed been done. It may be challenging at times, but it's more interesting than all those Botticellis and the like. Found detailed descriptions on how to choose the optimal cam profile, adjust valve clearances.

In the world of knowledge, its own renaissance has arrived! We delve into the fascinating world with https://gradesfixer.com/q/when-did-the-renaissance-begin-and-end/ which like a skilled car mechanic, reveals the secrets of education. My efficient fuel for successful study with which I break away from the start.
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Billy Godbold's book is good - 12/03/23 04:31 PM

Pulled my copy out of the Amazon package this morning and looked it over briefly. It'll take some time to dig through it work
Posted By: moparx

Re: Billy Godbold's book is good - 12/03/23 07:39 PM

i started in on my copy, and it is a fascinating read !
i'm certainly not an engine guru, although i have screwed together a "few" over my lifetime, but by the time i get through this book, then re-read many parts over and over like one did in school [if you were inclined to learn anything biggrin] i'm sure i will learn a lot !
provided i can then remember it. laugh2
beer
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Billy Godbold's book is good - 12/07/23 08:04 AM

Thank you for the heads up on the book. Just ordered it.
Hope it has rocker arm design in it too.
Posted By: MoonshineMattK

Re: Billy Godbold's book is good - 12/07/23 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
Billy Godbold's book on Cams and Valvetrains is available now. I typically buy all the car books that come out and generally they are a disappointment but not this time. Billy packs a ton of tech into this book. In fact, it has so much tech I wouldn't recommend this book for anyone other than serious students. It is not an easy read that you can just skim thru and look at the pictures. He obviously has worked on a lot of really high performance engines and it shows. Some of the stuff he talks about isn't known outside of the handful of guys who build engines that win at the highest levels.

Always appreciate your contributions Andy. Thank you

This is a tour of the Speedway Motors museum. Godbold is one of the tour guides.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCXHrn_jEj0
Posted By: Patrickkinc

Re: Billy Godbold's book is good - 12/21/23 10:43 AM

Oh, thank you, I'll take note of that! Currently, I'm pursuing a second degree, which allows me to delve into various subjects and fields, broadening my horizons and increasing my knowledge. I can recommend an excellent article https://reverbico.com/blog/problems-students-face-in-university/ about college essays about overcoming obstacles that will be beneficial to everyone, providing valuable resources for students aiming to expand their knowledge and successfully navigate academic challenges.
© 2024 Moparts Forums