Moparts

Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters

Posted By: DaveRS23

Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/07/23 02:25 PM

A bit long and windy at 14 minutes long, but they cover some cool information on oil and filters that you don't normally hear about.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=939WTeorBnQ

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/07/23 02:46 PM

Is MORE Zinc BETTER? - ZDDP Motor Oil Wear Test

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AJ_DO5zfVE

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/07/23 02:47 PM

Is VALVOLINE VR1 A Good Oil?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=W48nygk1mlc
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/07/23 03:51 PM

What I thought was hilarious was the idea that if you prefill the filter you're putting "unfiltered" oil into the motor. Right! When you drained it black tar came out - but you're worried about putting unfiltered oil in !!!
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/07/23 04:58 PM

What if………
The oil pan pick up drains clear during an oil change. Now the pump has to suck air before it re-primes itself. It’s easier for the pump to do this if there is less restriction on the pressure side (a dry filter…..full of air) vs a prefilled filter.

I’ve never heard anyone discuss that. And for the record…yeah, I prefilled filters on everything.
Posted By: topside

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/07/23 05:36 PM

Always seemed logical to me to pre-fill the filter; especially vertical ones.
Can't quite accomplish that on a BBM without making a mess, though; maybe half-full on those.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/07/23 05:37 PM

OK first off, I have never drawn fresh oil out of a 55 gallon drum. But I could see where there is a much higher risk of contaminants in a drum vs out of plastic quarts or gallon jugs. I have never seen anything come out of plastic containers that I questioned.

That first 4 or 5 seconds those guys talk about in the video is why I have always prelubed my engine with an accumulator.

I have a remote filter, oil cooler and a bunch of lines that would take a lot longer to fill up. And that 14:1 compression would be beating the crap out of the rod bearings. I would bet if I changed oil and screwed the filter on dry it would take long enough to cause engine damage.

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/07/23 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by moparacer
OK first off, I have never drawn fresh oil out of a 55 gallon drum. But I could see where there is a much higher risk of contaminants in a drum vs out of plastic quarts or gallon jugs. I have never seen anything come out of plastic containers that I questioned.

That first 4 or 5 seconds those guys talk about in the video is why I have always prelubed my engine with an accumulator.

I have a remote filter, oil cooler and a bunch of lines that would take a lot longer to fill up. And that 14:1 compression would be beating the crap out of the rod bearings. I would bet if I changed oil and screwed the filter on dry it would take long enough to cause engine damage.

iagree Yep, I ALWAYS have full oil pressure before I even hit the key. And I prefill the filter, too.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/08/23 03:22 AM

One of the things I will never be without on a race car, accumulator.
Posted By: MoonshineMattK

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/09/23 12:54 AM

The main killer I see is extended oil change intervals. Engines burning oil went from a rare occasion to a regular thing over the last 15 years.

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/09/23 01:03 AM

Today's ultra thin oils also play a roll in that.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/09/23 02:36 AM

Clickbait. I saw it on my feed and knew that was all it was.

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/09/23 01:36 PM

Interesting take on the video. Without even seeing it. work
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/14/23 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by DaveRS23

And ultra thin rings
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/14/23 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by HotRodDave

And ultra thin rings
up
I was shocked how much the newer thin rings make in the reduction of rotational torque needed to rotate on a new motor without the heads on them shock up
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/14/23 10:17 PM

I read the part about people actually believing that you shouldn't prefill the oil filter, because that oil will hit the galleries BEFORE it goes thru the filter media, thus damaging the bearings. Vs. starting up with NO oil being delivered to the bearings while the filter fills up from the oil pump. How can anyone be that clueless, and repeat this nonsense online? And how can enuff people be that gullible as to repeat it? These must be the ones who have magnets on their fuel lines, little propeller blades under the throttle blades, and spark plugs with 8 electrodes each.
Obviously, running brand new, clean oil fresh from the bottle thru a filter does not clean it.

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/15/23 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by HotRodDave

And ultra thin rings

And that roll is:

Low tension rings take less soot to stick in the piston groove. Change the oil before it's saturated with soot and coating engine internals.

Cam phasers can stick.

Also, people are not used to checking oil levels anymore. Rings stick, oil usages begins. Turn fast or break hard enough to uncover the oil pickup. Oil pump sucks some air. Now the hydraulically tensioned timing chain can jump and ruin the day in a hurry.
Posted By: birdtracker

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/15/23 01:16 AM

I absolutely guarantee there is no one out there that takes care of their own fleet of vehicles like me.You can go out and pull the dipstick on anything I own and the oil is clean as when it came out of the bottle.I learned alot about oil from Valvoline and a couple other companys. Imagine driving a semi truck 50 miles and dump the oil and filters 3 times in one day. You can drive it and check the oil and its clean. I was told to pre fill the filter was to keep the paper from tearing or laying over. Just imagine all the fuel filters that have been pre filled. I also think its click bait. Birdtracker
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/15/23 01:20 AM

Dirty oil is ALWAYS better than no oil. Thats why so many oil filters have by-pass valves.

Brian

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/15/23 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by '72CudaRacer
Dirty oil is ALWAYS better than no oil. Thats why so many oil filters have by-pass valves.

Brian

I disagree. A bypass built into a FILTER is done so that the filter medium can filter to a much smaller micron. A Full flow filter sacrifices this in order to flow ALL oil through the media.

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/15/23 02:45 AM

A bit long and windy at 14 minutes long, but they cover some cool information on oil and filters that you don't normally hear about.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=939WTeorBnQ

Just watched the video. I've seen Lake Speed Jr pop up in quite a few videos over the past year. Seems like a genuine person. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/15/23 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by CMcAllister

That’s great, but what about all the other cars and equipment that we change oil on?
Posted By: sean1970

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/15/23 05:17 PM

I use TX-7 in every motor I have built. Not one issue with oiling ever. I do prefill the filter always have and this is from a S/S/ 10 time world champion telling me do so. Bearing look brand new, no unusual cam wear or valve stem issues or pushrod issues. On my hemi 4.900 Noonan stuff same thing and I turn it 11k through the lights. Oil is like blood it needs to circulate into every moving part.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/15/23 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by MoonshineMattK
The main killer I see is extended oil change intervals. Engines burning oil went from a rare occasion to a regular thing over the last 15 years.

First problem of the last 20 years is the manufacturers claims of 10-15k mile intervals- to lower cost of ownership. Virtually no ones driving conditions qualify for this "Extended" interval but yet EVERYONE has set this as their standard. Yes- oil is better now than in 1999 but for gods sake- it does way more now than cool and lubricate. Then there's the low tension oil rings- these rings/lands don't do well with neglected maintenance. But the big one- American car owners are CHEAP snide and ignorant. They think the purchase price and insurance is all they need to pay for. Oil changes? Just a way for the "Mechanic" to steal my money. But really- most newer cars NEVER have their hood opened by their owner. Oil level runs low, engine begins running poorly. Car taken to shop and engine is diagnosed as destroyed due to lack of oil. Owner then is mad at the shop and the maker of the car. Car owner has a phone that cost a week and a halfs take home but refused proper oil changes because they cost $80.

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/15/23 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
Originally Posted by CMcAllister

That’s great, but what about all the other cars and equipment that we change oil on?

Well, if you leave your street car sit for a week, or weeks, between uses, or if it has valve springs with pressures of multiple hundreds of pounds over the nose of the lobe, or if it accelerates or decelerates at over 2 Gs which may cause the pickup to become uncovered, it would still be a good idea. Otherwise, it's probably not needed.

But the engine will no doubt do better if it has oil under pressure in critical areas before it ever turns over.
Posted By: 360view

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/16/23 01:21 PM

Many interesting answers.

The discussion should include the tightest and most sensitive clearances in production engines - the insides of hydraulic lifters.

In high horsepower mining machines,
keeping hydraulic oil clean is a huge money saver and break down delayer.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness,
is both a joke
and a truth worth remembering.

Once you have been “first converted” on hydraulic oil,
engine oil importance comes naturally.

During consumer automotive “break in period” where fuel economy improves
metal particles prematurely wearing the insides of the hyd lifters
make them more “Rhoads-like”
which is like
a less duration and lift camshaft
which improves fuel economy,
probably more than “bore polishing”
or less “bearing tightness.”

The many US Patent applications for hydraulic lifter design,
swear to this effect “under oath”.

A race engine task & purpose may make the hyd lifter effect moot.

Today’s new production vehicle Variable Valve Timing equipped engines
make this “capture” of fuel economy from 0 miles
to enable it to be listed on the CAFE window sticker
which auto makers love each 0.1 MPG of.

Dry sump vacuum oil systems have not yet been mentioned
but they provide multiple benefits to oiling, oil flow and cleanliness.

Harvard Filter’s amazing little 110v powered oil cleanup cart
maybe should be used along with tricks listed in these replies.
I was stunned in the 1980s to witness it turning the
totally black nasty Varsol cleaning fluid in an open top 50 gallon parts cleanup tank
to clear liquid in 48 hours.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/16/23 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
I read the part about people actually believing that you shouldn't prefill the oil filter, because that oil will hit the galleries BEFORE it goes thru the filter media, thus damaging the bearings. Vs. starting up with NO oil being delivered to the bearings while the filter fills up from the oil pump. How can anyone be that clueless, and repeat this nonsense online? And how can enuff people be that gullible as to repeat it? These must be the ones who have magnets on their fuel lines, little propeller blades under the throttle blades, and spark plugs with 8 electrodes each.
Obviously, running brand new, clean oil fresh from the bottle thru a filter does not clean it.

iagree iagree iagree It's sad that this is even being discussed.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/16/23 04:53 PM

Best way for him to make money is to stoke his fire on YouTube and creating clicks with publicity(Think P.T. Barnum) does just that. I don’t care what else he does to get paid, passive income from that is what everyone wants. In turn it leads to other opportunities as well. Politicians and celebrities do this sort of thing all the time, naturally lots of people dont mind what people think of them, only that they think of them. Drawing people like you in to promote his brand for free and build his name recognition is icing in the cake.

No major oil company is sending out dirty oil, at least not trace enough to cause engine damage. Lawsuit bonanza in the trillions if true. I gather this point from the comments here. I doubt a small oil company would sell you such either.

If you had a way to pulse an oil pump, let’s say if it were electric so you could control it at will with something, you wouldn’t do so. You wouldn’t want gulps of air going through your engine like that, yet this clickbait wants us to believe you’d be ok with it doing a filter change. I’ll go on living just fine without watching this or worrying about any of my engines dying from a filled oil filter. You are free to have at it.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/16/23 08:37 PM

Was wondering, how do you guys that build engines, transmissions, and axles FILTER your oil from the bottle or can when you pre-lube parts.

whistling

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/17/23 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy

Best way for him to make money is to stoke his fire on YouTube and creating clicks with publicity(Think P.T. Barnum) does just that. I don’t care what else he does to get paid, passive income from that is what everyone wants. In turn it leads to other opportunities as well. Politicians and celebrities do this sort of thing all the time, naturally lots of people dont mind what people think of them, only that they think of them. Drawing people like you in to promote his brand for free and build his name recognition is icing in the cake.

No major oil company is sending out dirty oil, at least not trace enough to cause engine damage. Lawsuit bonanza in the trillions if true. I gather this point from the comments here. I doubt a small oil company would sell you such either.

If you had a way to pulse an oil pump, let’s say if it were electric so you could control it at will with something, you wouldn’t do so. You wouldn’t want gulps of air going through your engine like that, yet this clickbait wants us to believe you’d be ok with it doing a filter change. I’ll go on living just fine without watching this or worrying about any of my engines dying from a filled oil filter. You are free to have at it.

I'm not sure where you're coming from on this. You seem to be taking me to task for a position that I do not hold.

Unlike yours, most responses to the link have been positive. Good luck with your opinion on this. Whatever it is.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/17/23 12:49 AM

I hate all the folks who make up crap on the interweb to create hate, discontent and stink for fun, maybe a round through the gourd would fix that whistling devil hammer up
There are a bunch of creepy low life cruds who troll the interweb, I hope they all rot in He!! grin wave work

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/17/23 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I hate all the folks who make up crap on the interweb to create hate, discontent and stink for fun, maybe a round through the gourd would fix that whistling devil hammer up
There are a bunch of creepy low life cruds who troll the interweb, I hope they all rot in He!! grin wave work

Yea…no hate in your post at all!

Re: Very interesting info on pre oiling oil filters - 11/17/23 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel

iagree iagree iagree It's sad that this is even being discussed.

If pouring fresh oil into your filter introduces dirt into your engine that could cause damage, you really need to examine your house keeping habits.
© 2024 Moparts Forums