Moparts

beadlocks

Posted By: dragon

beadlocks - 10/11/23 11:21 AM

When to use beadlocks. When do you need to change from regular race rims to beadlocks and why would you use a singe deadlocks that seems like defendant the purpose?? Also I heard there are two companies that can take your rims and make them beadlo is?? Thanks
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: beadlocks - 10/11/23 12:39 PM

MacFab in NC does a great job w/ beadlock conversions. up

If you need rim screws, then you could use beadlocks. Especially if you're running radials...since you're not supposed to screw them to the rim.
Posted By: Tig

Re: beadlocks - 10/11/23 12:42 PM

We switched to beadlocks after fitting radials, using screws to locate the bead isn't recommended and after the tyre kept slipping on the rim we made the switch.
Like you I couldn't see the point of a single beadlock.
McFab are likely one of the companies you are thinking about but some style of wheels they are unable to convert so best to check, there is a good thread about this on Yellow Bullet.
EDIT:They couldn't do my Convo pro's so I got some from Holeshot up
[Linked Image]

Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: beadlocks - 10/11/23 02:51 PM

MacFab did the beadlock conversion on my M/T wheels. Zero regrets. Very easy to mount tires on them now.

Attached picture Motovatorwheels.jpg
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: beadlocks - 10/11/23 06:26 PM

I agree. I like being able to switch mine back and forth from slicks to radials right in my own garage with no need of a tire machine. I only did mine because I originally had a deal set up with Weld to do 5 pairs of Weld wheels for Dbl beadlock combined with mine, co-workers and buddies all at once, package deal kind of thing. They all wussed out, but Weld said they would still do mine for me for the original quoted price which I am already better than W.D. with them anyway, so while expensive it was still a good deal.

One thing to watch out for when doing dbl beadlocks is depending on back spacing and style of wheel the they may not clear your rear calipers unless you have Strange low profile rear calipers like I bought to clear. Or, 16" dia. wheels help clear no matter the back spacing.

Attached picture 20210810_200920.jpg
Attached picture photo0.jpeg
Posted By: GY3

Re: beadlocks - 10/11/23 07:37 PM

As for when you should do it, I mark my 275 drag radials with a paint pen on the wheel and the tire and have noticed them moving quite a bit.

I probably need to invest in a pair of beadlocks.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: beadlocks - 10/11/23 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tig
We switched to beadlocks after fitting radials, using screws to locate the bead isn't recommended and after the tyre kept slipping on the rim we made the switch.
Like you I couldn't see the point of a single beadlock.
McFab are likely one of the companies you are thinking about but some style of wheels they are unable to convert so best to check, there is a good thread about this on Yellow Bullet.
EDIT:They couldn't do my Convo pro's so I got some from Holeshot up
[Linked Image]

Wonder why they said they cant do your Convo Pros?
[Linked Image]

They certainly have done them in the past. FWIW I have had Macfab do a few sets for me over the years. My current cars both have them. As for when, thats debatable for sure. Lots of cars going really fast without them for sure.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: beadlocks - 10/12/23 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by 6PKRTSE

One thing to watch out for when doing dbl beadlocks is depending on back spacing and style of wheel the they may not clear your rear calipers unless you have Strange low profile rear calipers like I bought to clear. Or, 16" dia. wheels help clear no matter the back spacing.
Good point! I did mine because I liked the way they looked, with that said when I have to swap to the class legal smaller tire, I'll try runing the non-beadlocked rims because they are lighter.
Posted By: Tig

Re: beadlocks - 10/12/23 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire

Wonder why they said they cant do your Convo Pros?

Can't remember exactly. It was either, a back spacing issue or they were unable to weld the beadlock on because of the Convo pro "flutes". It was a 10 x 15 with 5" b/s.
Posted By: racerx

Re: beadlocks - 10/13/23 01:04 PM

I agree....seems kind of useless to single mount a bead lock, But this has me thinking does they bead lock the M/T bracket radials? I what to say yes but not sure. work
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: beadlocks - 10/13/23 02:59 PM

Single beadlocks can shock the tire unequally actually causing tire shake if the makes enough power. Either do dbl or runs screws on both sides. Many have gotten away with singles over the years though.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: beadlocks - 10/13/23 03:16 PM

I glue my 14-32 slicks on and have had great success(Hi-Tack). I spent the better part of four hours prepping my new slicks. 1.25 best 60 foot time for my duster.
© 2024 Moparts Forums