Moparts

Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find?

Posted By: Dragula

Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find? - 09/12/23 02:54 PM

I am not finding a lot of SFI approved period correct wheels for racing that meet the rules:

WHEELS AND TIRES
•Gasser class cars must use tires on the dragstrip that are no greater than 11.5 inches wide at the tread, as
measured with a go/no-go gauge with the tire carrying the vehicle’s weight and at 20 psi of tire pressure. Tire
edges may not be shaved or cut to meet the 11.5-inch maximum.
•Wheels must be traditionally styled; no billet.
•Wheels may be no more than 16 inches in diameter
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find? - 09/12/23 04:32 PM

Who's rules are those? I don't think you will find a Nostalgia (Gasser era) wheel with SFI cert regardless of date of MFG. Drag Wheel MFG that produce SFI wheels You gonna run your AWB in a Gas class?

Re: Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find? - 09/12/23 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by W.I.N. Racing
Who's rules are those? I don't think you will find a Nostalgia (Gasser era) wheel with SFI cert regardless of date of MFG. Drag Wheel MFG that produce SFI wheels You gonna run your AWB in a Gas class?

Well, it seems Gasser is a relative term, depending on which organization is defining it, some requirements are a lot different. But yes, I was looking at Drag Week Gasser rules. I want to run 5/8 wheel studs, and use a name brand wheel that won't come apart at speed. What's funny is almost all the actual Gasser wheels were not SFI and some are even banned from racing like uni-lug mag wheels and such. So call me ignorant, but I could swear there was at least one manufacturer of Nostalgia looking wheels out there.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find? - 09/12/23 07:28 PM

Why do you need SFI approved wheels? Mike Finnegan's '55 has old magnesium rear wheels, and I doubt they are SFI rated.
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find? - 09/12/23 07:44 PM

Team III / ET Wheels was/is the company that is reproducing all of the vintage style wheels.
Posted By: John Burdine

Re: Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find? - 09/12/23 08:10 PM

ET Mags, these are billet ceneters.

Attached picture 20220530_020039.jpg
Posted By: Neil

Re: Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find? - 09/12/23 09:02 PM

http://www.etmags.com/production_wheels.html

It's a smaller operation and my impression is they don't keep a lot of wheels just sitting around so it takes a couple weeks for them to be built and shipped. Super nice wheels though.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find? - 09/12/23 11:35 PM

That’s one of the sets of wheels that I use. I love ‘em up

Re: Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find? - 09/12/23 11:42 PM

They are great looking on your car for sure.

You can still buy direct drill Cragar SS wheels new so you don't have to deal with the uni-lug setup that some tracks frown on depending on how fast your car is. The Cragars also look the part, but are hefty compared to an aluminum wheel.
Posted By: B1duster

Re: Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find? - 09/12/23 11:44 PM

I was sure this place used to sell all different brands
and get them in custom sizes and backspacing, but I only see Rocket wheels.
Newstalgia wheel. I guess Holley bought them
https://www.holley.com/brands/rocket_racing_wheels/

Re: Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find? - 09/12/23 11:56 PM

I also use a set of polished SuperTricks for that old school look.

Re: Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find? - 09/13/23 12:00 AM

I don't know, I look at the Drag Week classes, and I do not have a car that really fits any of them. All my stuff is big tire, even my AFX car....So that leaves me looking to see what I can change if I want to join the event some year. What I find surprising is the Gasser class is limited to 11.5" max...Can't say I ever remember tire limits on Gassers.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find? - 09/13/23 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dragula
I don't know, I look at the Drag Week classes, and I do not have a car that really fits any of them. All my stuff is big tire, even my AFX car....So that leaves me looking to see what I can change if I want to join the event some year. What I find surprising is the Gasser class is limited to 11.5" max...Can't say I ever remember tire limits on Gassers.

Use a 10.5 x 31 or 10.5 x 33.
Doug
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find? - 09/13/23 01:41 PM

speedway has ET wheels , most often in stock and often you can find one or two in the clearance section.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/team-iii-wheels-wheels-and-accessories
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find? - 09/13/23 04:30 PM

My best guess (with a modicum of background) is that the tire size rule is based on tire sizes available during the gasser era (pre 72 - pure gas class era). There were no limits then because a giant tire back then was a fueler tire and by todays standards not big (32"-13 ish)
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find? - 09/13/23 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by W.I.N. Racing

My best guess (with a modicum of background) is that the tire size rule is based on tire sizes available during the gasser era (pre 72 - pure gas class era). There were no limits then because a giant tire back then was a fueler tire and by todays standards not big (32"-13 ish)

This makes sense- they want everything to be period correct, including the types of blower hats you can run, wheels, etc.

Re: Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find? - 09/14/23 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Neil

It's a smaller operation and my impression is they don't keep a lot of wheels just sitting around so it takes a couple weeks for them to be built and shipped. Super nice wheels though.

It says those are cast....They look the part though...
Posted By: John Burdine

Re: Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find? - 09/14/23 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Neil

It says those are cast....They look the part though...

Scott does some limited billet stuff, like the centers in my 5 window wheels.
Posted By: topside

Re: Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find? - 09/14/23 02:44 AM

There's also a place called Vintage Wheel Works; they do a lot of raod-racing wheels but also have 5-spokes & maybe some others.

Re: Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find? - 09/14/23 02:51 AM

What about vintage Halibrands?

Re: Nostalgia Racing Wheels, where to find? - 09/14/23 03:00 AM

Vintage Halibrands are great, however they can be expensive. The nice ones that are not all chewed up are worth a pile of money to the street rod crowd.

Holley owns the Halibrand name now. Pricing for their wheels is around the same as what the ET wheels go for +/-.
© 2024 Moparts Forums