Moparts

Pros and cons of using Chevy sized rods in hemi build

Posted By: scottk

Pros and cons of using Chevy sized rods in hemi build - 08/28/23 12:21 PM

Hi. Getting ready to order some parts. Have a 4.5 bore Hemi block and some Diamond pistons for 4.25 stroke. They have .990 pins. Wondering if using the .220 rod size has any advantages? Less or no clearancing in the block? Is the Chevy size weaker because it is smaller? Just trying to weigh things out. Thanks.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Pros and cons of using Chevy sized rods in hemi build - 08/28/23 01:02 PM

No cons. All pros. Less weight, more clearance, more options, plenty strong.
I have BB Chevy rods in my 575" hemi.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Pros and cons of using Chevy sized rods in hemi build - 08/28/23 01:49 PM

Exactly what Chip said, plus you have more bearing choices available. And less grinding on the block.

Brian
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Pros and cons of using Chevy sized rods in hemi build - 08/28/23 02:23 PM

For what you are doing, the others have said it well.
I use cranks with the journal width for Chevy rod, but there are some 2.2 bearing rods with Mopar width if that is what your crank has. I won't comment on if the excessive side clearance with Chevy rod width on Mopar journal width is or is not a problem.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Pros and cons of using Chevy sized rods in hemi build - 08/28/23 02:42 PM

the 2.200 is plenty strong and there are a lot more mopar length or longer rods today that have the proper mopar width. Back in the day all there was was the Eagle 7.100 which was basically a BB Chevy rod.

The key with Hemis is the pistons are HEAVY but stroking them shortens the compression height and decreases the bobweight considerably. Should be no issues.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Pros and cons of using Chevy sized rods in hemi build - 08/28/23 02:47 PM

As already said, you don't use Mopar rod (or pin) sizes anymore. Too many advantages to using Chevy rods. Stroke clearance, weight, bearing sizes, availability, price. Rod choices, price, availability. Come on and join the 21st century. And, no, I wouldn't think about using them on a Mopar width journal.
Posted By: scottk

Re: Pros and cons of using Chevy sized rods in hemi build - 08/28/23 03:34 PM

Great answers. Thanks for the input.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Pros and cons of using Chevy sized rods in hemi build - 08/28/23 04:21 PM

Reduced rod journal diameter reduces journal overlap and makes the crankshaft more flexible (so does a stroke increase).
Not enough to worry about.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Pros and cons of using Chevy sized rods in hemi build - 08/28/23 10:59 PM

If you don't have the crankshaft yet, check into getting it with chevy width rod journals as well as diameter. THen you can use chevy rods. Sometimes they are cheaper and easier to get than Mopar rods with Chevy journal diameter but Mopar width.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Pros and cons of using Chevy sized rods in hemi build - 08/29/23 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by polyspheric
Reduced rod journal diameter reduces journal overlap and makes the crankshaft more flexible (so does a stroke increase).
Not enough to worry about.

That would be my thinking.
On a SB Mopar stroker, I was liking 2.0 chevy rods, but keep the big 360 mains, to try and get the best of both worlds.
© 2024 Moparts Forums