Moparts

Engine swap: Need radiator hose help

Posted By: 6PAX

Engine swap: Need radiator hose help - 08/25/23 12:30 AM

I'm putting a big block in my 69 Dart that was originally a slant six. In order to save some money, instead of buying a new radiator I decided to use a 22" 340 radiator I have that I know has no issues cooling. But in doing so, I had to switch to a big block passenger side outlet water pump housing to match the bottom radiator connection. I now have to get radiator hoses for it. I'm not sure if 340 hoses will fit properly or not on a big block. Does anyone know of any big block cars that came from the factory with a 22" radiator and a passenger side outlet water pump?
Posted By: furious70

Re: Engine swap: Need radiator hose help - 08/25/23 02:52 AM

looking in the white book I didn't see anything that looks like it.

Use some cardboard to make a template and go to the parts store and just ask to browse through their hoses
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Engine swap: Need radiator hose help - 08/25/23 05:29 AM

Coat hanger wire works well.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Engine swap: Need radiator hose help - 08/25/23 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by 6PAX
I'm putting a big block in my 69 Dart that was originally a slant six. In order to save some money, instead of buying a new radiator I decided to use a 22" 340 radiator I have that I know has no issues cooling. But in doing so, I had to switch to a big block passenger side outlet water pump housing to match the bottom radiator connection. I now have to get radiator hoses for it. I'm not sure if 340 hoses will fit properly or not on a big block. Does anyone know of any big block cars that came from the factory with a 22" radiator and a passenger side outlet water pump?

From the era , none . The outlet you have would have been used in the Late 70's C bodies but I believe they were all 26" at that point.

One thing you need to pay attention to is the pipe sizes of the 340 rad , I believe at least one of them is a little smaller than the 383/440 radiator, I've been looking at the ebay alum rads with the rounded top tanks to swap into my big block dart.
Posted By: 6PAX

Re: Engine swap: Need radiator hose help - 08/25/23 05:45 PM

Yes, the top outlet is smaller in diameter than the bottom one.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Engine swap: Need radiator hose help - 08/25/23 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by 6PAX
None that I have heard of shruggy
Maybe some SB guys can post the outer diameter of the lower hose fitting on their water pump luck help
Posted By: moparx

Re: Engine swap: Need radiator hose help - 08/25/23 07:44 PM

i have used the universal chrome, flexible, "heat stove" material in the past to form a "hose", then go to seek one at the parts store.
although coat hanger or welding wire works as well, using the "heat stove" stuff allows a more complete visual aid to what the hose needs to be.
as to the size differences, most hoses today are so flexible, it "might" be able to be pushed onto a slightly larger radiator hose nipple.
however, you might get lucky at the parts store and find one of the correct size.
there are also "hose reducers" available if you find a hose that is larger than the radiator nipple.
don't forget to wind up a wire to fit inside the lower hose if it doesn't come with one. [most do not] this will prevent it from collapsing if the pump sucks really hard at a certain rpm.
1/16" or so stainless wire can be had from most good hardware stores, and can be wrapped around a broom handle or piece of pipe slightly smaller than the id of the hose.
beer
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: Engine swap: Need radiator hose help - 08/25/23 09:04 PM

cant see why a 60880 and a 60878 wouldn't work. shruggy
Posted By: moparx

Re: Engine swap: Need radiator hose help - 08/26/23 05:16 PM

what brand are those numbers from ? gates maybe ?
beer
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: Engine swap: Need radiator hose help - 08/26/23 05:29 PM

Continental, but there are probably other that use them.
© 2024 Moparts Forums