Moparts

Looking forward to a first outing this weeked

Posted By: Dragula

Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/08/23 11:39 AM

Now that I am done fighting with the FW in the Holley sniper, we have the Nostalgia Gold (old) Cup this Saturday, and hoping for a first outing with the Hemi Cuda....Almost ended up putting the carb back on it. But thanks to a helpful Dr. EFI, I was able to get it updated.

So last year at the end of the season, I ran the car, and it went a mid 6 with a broken valve spring and spun another bearing...This was after driving it all summer to all the cruise nights and such and working out the cooling system bugs. Plus the logger showed it dead lean for 0.5s off the hit.

So over the winter, we put the same rotating assembly in a new block, with all new bearings, and I coated the block with Glyptol, and added intake valve spring spray bars. We also put smaller restrictors in, and I am running an extra quart in the oil pan after checking the oil depth in it, and we removed the restrictive windage tray. Also went to a milder ramp on the cam which is now a lot tighter lash than the old school one we had, and lowered open spring pressure to #180 from #230, by changing valve springs....

All this for a better street/strip experience and longer engine life. I have another short block in the works as a spare.

The weather is not looking good for Saturday, so who knows at this point...But it is my 52nd birthday!
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/08/23 12:41 PM

Good luck Randy.

I like the idea of changing it to enhance the street aspect.

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/08/23 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
Good luck Randy.

I like the idea of changing it to enhance the street aspect.

Well last year I also went to 3.73 rear gear from 4.10, and that made it so streetable, it was like night and day. Now we need a happy engine that will drive all over, and go fast, like 9.80 or quicker. The trans holds up well, but I want to upgrade that to a Trans Brake and use a two step...and maybe a low gear kit.

The Hemi is not like a wedge. You don't put a big cube stroker together, and slap a good set of heads on it, these really need attention to oiling & drain back.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/08/23 04:50 PM

Good luck and happy birthday! beer

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/08/23 07:16 PM

You don't? OK. I will make sure I stay out of trouble with mediocre heads, restrictive induction and tiny camshafts LOL.

As said on the phone, I'm really not interested in going 9s or 8s in any car that I currently own, so I'll live vicariously through those who do and cheer you on.

Have a great birthday.

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/08/23 10:17 PM

I like 10s as well, but this car was built to do both, its just never panned out well in the +20 years I have owned it. The Hemi just complicates things....So we will see if what I have learned has any affect.....Usually not....
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/08/23 10:52 PM

I enjoy your outings, we all fight gremlins. Keep it up.

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/09/23 12:56 AM

Scratch that idea....Fans & water pump wiring that worked last year, none of it works after the new install....And its a real pain in the butt to get to it. So I doubt I am running anything this week.....The car has earned its name well over the years...CURSED!
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/09/23 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by FastmOp
I enjoy your outings, we all fight gremlins. Keep it up.

AGREE, keep after it and you'll get it. Good luck and Happy birthday!

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/09/23 12:24 PM

This has the hidden engine compartment wiring, doesn't it?

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/09/23 01:33 PM

The ARC switch panel is where the radio went, and the wiring goes from there to some relays somwhere, and then out to the engine bay thru the door hinge area...The problem is getting to the ARC switch panel and checking the fuses and wires. Passenger seat has to come out, and the somehow crawl under the dash....
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/09/23 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dragula
The ARC switch panel is where the radio went, and the wiring goes from there to some relays somwhere, and then out to the engine bay thru the door hinge area...The problem is getting to the ARC switch panel and checking the fuses and wires. Passenger seat has to come out, and the somehow crawl under the dash....

If I ever rewire my car again I am going to put everything in the triangle of the passenger door bar and the main hoop. I recently moved my EFI controller up on the bottom of my dash to get it out from under the seat. Next move is getting the rest out from under the dash, I hate it!
Posted By: Gabby63

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/09/23 10:58 PM

For those of us that live under a rock , what is ( Glyptol ) lol , Gary

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/10/23 01:04 AM

Helps with oil return:

https://www.eastwood.com/glyptal-red-brush-on-1-qt.html
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/10/23 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish

If I ever rewire my car again I am going to put everything in the triangle of the passenger door bar and the main hoop. I recently moved my EFI controller up on the bottom of my dash to get it out from under the seat. Next move is getting the rest out from under the dash, I hate it!

Excuse the mess but I have doing it for years. BTW I also LOVE the Speedwire stuff

[Linked Image]

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/10/23 04:22 PM

Looks really nice there...I like how the relays are all lit up .

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/14/23 11:23 AM

Well, got a look at the wiring I put in last year from Painless, and its all wired right and nice and neat, but the fans must be drawing a bit more than last year, and the Painless kit was pre-wired, and I smoked all the wires to the fan furthest away. Not to mention the water pump won't come on, so I think one relay is dead. This kit should have been enough to run everything. Worked all last year.

I looked up the fans I bought from Wizard Cooling, and they are rated at 21amps, but I think they pull more. The Painless kit does not say what size wiring or ratings its built to, but tain't working this year.

Going to have to re-wire everything with a Leash Pro 8 relay board I think....It least those are rated 70 amps, and I will wire everything with 10ga...for next year. I give up for this year because I also need treaded street tires and rims, its been raining every other day like crazy here, and I can't get caught with DOT slicks on it.

https://proshop.summitracing.com/parts/prf-30117

https://leashelectronics.com/products/pro8-relay-module
Posted By: Gabby63

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/14/23 10:34 PM

Thanks for that Dragula , Gary
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/15/23 12:35 PM

This car has given you a fit! Good luck w/ it Randy. up
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/16/23 02:20 AM

Keep chippin away at it !!
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/16/23 10:52 AM

Those leash panels are real nice. I wouldn't wire a line lock to it though unless you put a flyback diode on it. I have killed two relays before I realized that is likely the issue. Never had a problem with anything else other than the line lock relay. Warranty was a quick turnaround as well. I bought the 12 relay board back when i went EFI because I was unsure what all I needed. Lets just say its not 12 lol.

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/16/23 11:12 AM

Yeah, I bought the Painless all wired thinking all I have to do is hook up the signal wires and we are good, but my guess is the fans draw at least 10 more amps than listed. So I think I will order the 8 relay board with 70's on it and run 10ga wire.

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/16/23 04:21 PM

Only gonna say do it once and right go with Speedwire.....I have used them ALL and will not go back to anything else.

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/16/23 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
Only gonna say do it once and right go with Speedwire.....I have used them ALL and will not go back to anything else.

So here is a question, for the trans brake, line lock, and reverse lockout, do they have built in circuits to just hook those up without having to wire in the lockouts manually?

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/16/23 05:10 PM

Yes, they can actually configure anything you want. All their stuff is pretty much custom. Tell them what you are after and they can make it. You can have circuits work in tandem or seperate, have some that work when certain ones are on or not. Really up to the end user how to configure it.

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/16/23 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
Yes, they can actually configure anything you want. All their stuff is pretty much custom. Tell them what you are after and they can make it. You can have circuits work in tandem or seperate, have some that work when certain ones are on or not. Really up to the end user how to configure it.

I called them and got a quote and talked with the rep about the interlocks for the starter button and air shifter and trans brake, and it looks like they design the circuit into the relay board, and I just connect everything. That would be really nice...I guess I have a few months to think about it.

Re: Looking forward to a first outing this weeked - 08/16/23 07:46 PM

Best stuff out there by far IMO.
© 2024 Moparts Forums