Moparts

Golf Cart for the track to push/tow…….

Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/25/23 10:46 PM

Okay, never purchased a cart or ATV to get my cars to the lanes or around the track areas. Used a truck a few times. So now I’m finally considering buying something to do it. I prefer to conserve fuel, engine wear/tear, and battery charge. I figured I’d post here to ask some questions. I’m also considering a quad of some sort, but I like the cart idea because it can carry additional items, or I can use it to run around my neighborhood at times if necessary. The local cart prices seem fairly reasonable for older well cared for carts. I’m not worried about trailer room or transporting it. So my question is this:

Gas or electric? Has to push/pull 3k# car. I’ve thought about pros/cons to both, but would like to read about others opinions regarding which one is better/worse than the other……from your personal experiences. Oh, and is there a “brand” to walk past and not consider? I don’t need or want anything fancy or extras (unless it comes that way), just needs to be safe, dependable and operate likes it’s supposed to.

If you want to share pics of your cart or someone else’s cart with how it’s setup to push or tow I’d appreciate that too! Thanks.
Posted By: Gabby63

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/25/23 10:57 PM

We use a 2004 Club Car ( Gas ) has not been an issue , it is a stock engine & drive train , no extras in power . It has lift kit , but I dont think that is a factor . My car is 3475 & cart pulls just fine . Gary
Posted By: Dart 500

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/26/23 01:02 AM

Used Smart car may be cheaper and can be used to run into town, if it'll fit in the trailer
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/26/23 02:53 AM

I use a gas club car. Won't go without it.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/26/23 10:08 AM

I have a EZ-Go RXV gas. Electrics are smoother for pushing a car, but I prefer gas powered. I've hardly had to do a thing to my cart in 10 years. We arrive at the track on Thursday's and it gets used non stop until Sunday. Not sure an electric would keep a charge that long. Guess I could bring a charger along, and charge it over night, but why? A tank of gas lasts almost all year for me.

Attached picture golfcart1.jpg
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/26/23 03:45 PM

WES, I HAVE been unhooking the truck from the trailer and using that to pull the car to the lanes and back. Some look at me like im crazy but it works and its free ...lmao

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/26/23 06:09 PM

Thanks! So far all are gas. Has me re-thinking now. The electric carts I looked at yesterday were all very very well cared for with 1-2 yr old batteries. The gas carts I looked at were well used and not maintained very well. I'll keep looking at both, but sounds like a gas cart is probably the way to go.

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/26/23 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by n20mstr
WES, I HAVE been unhooking the truck from the trailer and using that to pull the car to the lanes and back. Some look at me like im crazy but it works and its free ...lmao

LMAO! Been there done that a few times. Its time for something small.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/26/23 08:12 PM

Mine came from Sun City west….. was sitting in a driveway with a FS sign on it. Got a great deal on it! Gas powered here. Shiloh has a “coal powered” golf cart and seems to like it. They tow/push the car all over with it.

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/26/23 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by J_BODY
Mine came from Sun City west….. was sitting in a driveway with a FS sign on it. Got a great deal on it! Gas powered here. Shiloh has a “coal powered” golf cart and seems to like it. They tow/push the car all over with it.

A lot seem to be from that area or around my area of Pebble Creek. I think I'm going to sway more towards a gas cart versus electric......but whatever the best deal is will be the end result.
Posted By: birdtracker

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/26/23 08:32 PM

I know everyone has an opinion. I have seen more than 10 trailer fires where the person has lost everything in the trailer to include the car, tools, and electric golf cart. I have never seen this happen with a gas cart. For some reason the electric ones don't travel well if you know what I mean. Birdtracker
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/26/23 08:48 PM

With the new lithium batteries it’ll last two races between charges. I have an electric for around the house and shop and it pulls any car quite well and I use 12 volt car batteries from the junk yard ($25)
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/27/23 09:29 PM

Gas EZ GO for me... when it runs out of the fuel source just pour more in no waiting... We primarily use it in a push configuration as well.

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/28/23 01:08 AM

Well after a week of searching and going to check out both electric and gas carts I found one and bought it today. Very well cared for, super clean and maintained with records 2008 Club Car Precedent “GAS” cart. This thing rolls out pretty good! The one thing I like about Club Car carts is their aluminum frame, so it’s fairly light overall. I will add headlights, taillights, horn soon, and figure out the push bracket setup to push the hotrod. Got a great deal! Thanks for the info and advice.

Attached picture IMG_4565.jpeg
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/28/23 02:45 AM

Score !!!

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/28/23 09:59 AM

You will love it Wes! I will say, add a radio to the cart as well. Nice to be able to hear the track announcements, where ever you are. I keep a list of different track frequencies on my windshield, so I know what to tune into.

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/28/23 01:32 PM

Cooler months you’ll love the flip windshield…..
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/28/23 03:24 PM

My sister in Florida just moved into a gated community and was in need of a gas golf cart to get around. She bought a used gas one from a place that rebuilds them. She’s getting it tomorrow after the seat cushion is back from getting the steeler emblem embroidered on it.

Attached picture A85B098A-D069-4B82-865B-517274AC953B.jpeg
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/28/23 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by EvilB1Dart
Well after a week of searching and going to check out both electric and gas carts I found one and bought it today. Very well cared for, super clean and maintained with records 2008 Club Car Precedent “GAS” cart. This thing rolls out pretty good! The one thing I like about Club Car carts is their aluminum frame, so it’s fairly light overall. I will add headlights, taillights, horn soon, and figure out the push bracket setup to push the hotrod. Got a great deal! Thanks for the info and advice.

Nice! The one we have is VERY similar (year and make/model), just a different color (burgundy) and it's electric. I like the electric carts. It has been pretty trouble free. Just put new batteries in it for the 2nd time in about 10 years. Had to replace the bushings in the front end and replace one leaf spring. Calvert doesn't make springs or bars for these things before you ask. grin
My girls have given this thing hell and it's held up well. Ran into a pine tree at full speed w/ only the right front tire making contact and it only broke the one bolt that holds the UCA to the spindle. hammer
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/28/23 04:19 PM

I had a 2001 EXGO TXT gasser we beat on and abused for years until this past winter. I started looking for a used replacement. I looked for months and everythig i liked was $6k and up and was about to give up. I finally went to check out new carts here in town at a dealer. I brought the wife with me :>) We ended up with a brand new EZGO Valor EFI cart. Factory lift, extended roof, full rear seat with steps and side rails. For $9999 out the door. So far I coudl not be happier. We put in a radio, speakers and a front LED light and so far it has worked great, If it lasts as long as my last one ill be happy.

My last one FWIW came from Casa Grande at a retirement park I paid a grand for it in 2008. We sold my in laws electric EXGO at their park for $6K and it was 11 years old. Sold it to the first guy who came. I also sold my 22 year old EXGO gasser for $3K in about 30 seconds on market place and likely could have sold it 10x over. Clearly should have asked more and Jay can confirm how fugly it was but it ran.

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/29/23 01:21 PM

Not as ugly as the “Creamsicle”…. 😂 . That reminds me I’d best get my cart out of the oven, er I mean trailer, for the summer months.

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/29/23 03:33 PM

Not as ugly as the “Creamsicle”…. 😂 . That reminds me I’d best get my cart out of the oven, er I mean trailer, for the summer months.

The "creamsicle" is still doing duty towing juniors and it 30 years old....I rescued that one from Huntington Beach where it used to patrol the beach for a years before me. Maybe the combo of those two it was led me to a brand new one.

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 06/30/23 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire

The "creamsicle" is still doing duty towing juniors and it 30 years old....I rescued that one from Huntington Beach where it used to patrol the beach for a years before me. Maybe the combo of those two it was led me to a brand new one.

Wow! Curtis is STILL flogging that beaut?? I sold ole blue a few years ago for peanuts. It finally died at Famoso this spring. Luckily Beav was in the barn crew and they overhauled it smile

….and I’m with Jeff and his suggestion of a radio. Great for at the track!

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 07/01/23 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
You will love it Wes! I will say, add a radio to the cart as well. Nice to be able to hear the track announcements, where ever you are. I keep a list of different track frequencies on my windshield, so I know what to tune into.

I sure hope so, Jeff. All the maintenance has been done for now, so it’s time to install a few add-on’s I suppose! I’ll check out the radio and get one with Bluetooth. Where are your small speakers located, front dash panel area?

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 07/01/23 01:42 PM

Cooler months you’ll love the flip windshield…..

That was another thing I liked about the cart over others was the flip windshield.

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 07/01/23 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

My sister in Florida just moved into a gated community and was in need of a gas golf cart to get around. She bought a used gas one from a place that rebuilds them. She’s getting it tomorrow after the seat cushion is back from getting the steeler emblem embroidered on it.

Damn that’s a nice cart! I see it has the “drive over alligators” lift option too! Lol

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 07/01/23 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda

Nice! The one we have is VERY similar (year and make/model), just a different color (burgundy) and it's electric. I like the electric carts. It has been pretty trouble free. Just put new batteries in it for the 2nd time in about 10 years. Had to replace the bushings in the front end and replace one leaf spring. Calvert doesn't make springs or bars for these things before you ask. grin
My girls have given this thing hell and it's held up well. Ran into a pine tree at full speed w/ only the right front tire making contact and it only broke the one bolt that holds the UCA to the spindle. hammer

Haha! Chip, just wait until it’s time for them to be driving…….up your insurance LOL! It’s good to know these Club Car carts can take some abuse. Everything I’ve read about them reveals they’re very solid all around. Do you have lights or radio on yours? How is yours setup to push or tow - what are you using?

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 07/01/23 01:56 PM

I had a 2001 EXGO TXT gasser we beat on and abused for years until this past winter. I started looking for a used replacement. I looked for months and everythig i liked was $6k and up and was about to give up. I finally went to check out new carts here in town at a dealer. I brought the wife with me :>) We ended up with a brand new EZGO Valor EFI cart. Factory lift, extended roof, full rear seat with steps and side rails. For $9999 out the door. So far I coudl not be happier. We put in a radio, speakers and a front LED light and so far it has worked great, If it lasts as long as my last one ill be happy.

My last one FWIW came from Casa Grande at a retirement park I paid a grand for it in 2008. We sold my in laws electric EXGO at their park for $6K and it was 11 years old. Sold it to the first guy who came. I also sold my 22 year old EXGO gasser for $3K in about 30 seconds on market place and likely could have sold it 10x over. Clearly should have asked more and Jay can confirm how fugly it was but it ran.

I was going crazy looking at all the carts. I really got lucky with this one I bought. It was only posted for about 10 mins when I saw it. I went to see it at 8:30pm that evening and bought it on the spot after driving it. It felt tight and strong, plus had all the records and service done. Looked at some new ones and they’re super expensive.

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 07/01/23 02:45 PM

I sure hope so, Jeff. All the maintenance has been done for now, so it’s time to install a few add-on’s I suppose! I’ll check out the radio and get one with Bluetooth. Where are your small speakers located, front dash panel area?

Wes, my radio is up above. This way if it rains, it doesn’t get the speakers wet.

Attached picture 999914B3-2E2E-47BC-AC47-C7CF68208CAD.jpeg

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 07/01/23 03:08 PM

Wes, my radio is up above. This way if it rains, it doesn’t get the speakers wet.

Jeff that’s nice! Was that an option that came with your cart or you added it yourself? I really like that.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 07/01/23 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Damn that’s a nice cart! I see it has the “drive over alligators” lift option too! Lol

Lol. Yea my brother is is 72 and wanted the lift kit installed and the fancy wheels. It was delivered on Thursday and they headed for Pennsylvania on Friday. They have a beautiful motorhome parked on a lot at Pymatuming lake. They was to trade it in for a new or nice travel trailer since he doesn’t move it anymore. Probably a smart move.

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 07/01/23 03:59 PM

Only picture of mine. Our radio holder has speakers, Kenwood Bluetooth, usb ports, lighter port, voltage meter and a dome light. We also have space above for tools etc. Figured we would use the space somehow. Cant see thew rear steps or the tow point we also made. Mounted the one LED just cause I had it smile

I looked forever and gave up. When I was looking for what I wanted prices were $6K and up. So dont feel so bad paying $99 for this one. First new cart I have ever owned. Under warranty for two years, still not sure about the EFI but it goes 23mh in stock form. We will see later what we can do, also will change out those fugly wheels and tires when it needs tires.

[Linked Image]

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 07/01/23 10:05 PM

Jeff that’s nice! Was that an option that came with your cart or you added it yourself? I really like that.

I added it myself. Bought everything on eBay. I also added some LED strip lights, and a switch for them. A nice feature for running the cart at night.

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 07/02/23 03:56 AM

Only picture of mine. Our radio holder has speakers, Kenwood Bluetooth, usb ports, lighter port, voltage meter and a dome light. We also have space above for tools etc. Figured we would use the space somehow. Cant see thew rear steps or the tow point we also made. Mounted the one LED just cause I had it smile

I looked forever and gave up. When I was looking for what I wanted prices were $6K and up. So dont feel so bad paying $99 for this one. First new cart I have ever owned. Under warranty for two years, still not sure about the EFI but it goes 23mh in stock form. We will see later what we can do, also will change out those fugly wheels and tires when it needs tires.

[Linked Image]

Nice cart/setup, Al. I’ll have to check out the stereo equipment, and lights. Definitely need lights for sure. Again. I got lucky because I was getting tired of looking. The ones I initially wanted sold fast, and I took one more look and it popped up in the evening. If I would’ve waited until the next day I would’ve missed it. The owner said his phone was blowing up.

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 07/02/23 04:06 AM

I added it myself. Bought everything on eBay. I also added some LED strip lights, and a switch for them. A nice feature for running the cart at night.

Jeff you've got a nice cart and setup. Did you buy the stereo setup as a complete unit or they were all separate purchases? LED lighting sounds like a nice touch.

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 07/02/23 04:09 AM

Hahaha first upgrade from Amazon! Will get some Pentastar or Mopar emblems to cover-up the “SS” badges on the wheel covers.

Attached picture IMG_4602.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_4600.jpeg

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 07/03/23 03:08 PM

Mine came with head and tail lights from the factory. I added a smedium sized led light bar I had below the body on the frame.
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 07/04/23 06:04 PM

Nice find Wes! I just happened across one local and haven't pulled the trigger on it yet because i want to get up and running again first. Shows you if you look you can get a deal yet.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Golf Cart for the track to push/tow……. - 07/05/23 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda

Haha! Chip, just wait until it’s time for them to be driving…….up your insurance LOL! It’s good to know these Club Car carts can take some abuse. Everything I’ve read about them reveals they’re very solid all around. Do you have lights or radio on yours? How is yours setup to push or tow - what are you using?

I don't use the golf cart to tow the car at the track. It's strictly for my girls to go back and forth to the bathroom 73 times in one afternoon at the track. grin Of course they ride it all over around home...when they aren't on my 4 wheeler or side by side.
I only towed my car back to the trailer on one test & tune to get a baseline on the tuneup. It's too much of a PITA to do all the time.
© 2024 Moparts Forums