Moparts

Crank sprocket loose fit on crank. Any easy fixes?

Posted By: 446acuda

Crank sprocket loose fit on crank. Any easy fixes? - 04/21/09 02:23 PM

I have a K1 crank that is undersized by .002-.003 on the area where the crank sprocket fits. I tried an old DC gear, a cloyes gear and a Rollmaster and none are even close to a light press fit. I should have caught this when I bought the crank but too late now since K1 isn't even owned by Carillo anymore. Any easy fixes for this?... like a gear for another brand of engine that can be honed to fit
Posted By: thecarfarmer

Re: Crank sprocket loose fit on crank. Any easy fixes? - 04/21/09 02:29 PM

Loctite?

-bill

Re: Crank sprocket loose fit on crank. Any easy fixes? - 04/21/09 02:35 PM

that would be nice but I need a fix that will get a light press fit so that I don't have to worry about sprocket runout that will wear out the chain. BB Chevy is the same sprocket but unfortunately has a bigger inside diameter.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Crank sprocket loose fit on crank. Any easy fixes? - 04/21/09 02:39 PM

I beleive when you install the balancer, it will sandwich the gear in place and hold it in place.
Posted By: RonP

Re: Crank sprocket loose fit on crank. Any easy fixes? - 04/21/09 02:40 PM

Doesn't the hub on the balancer pin that gear up against the crank anyway? I know mine all have. I have had a couple that went on loose and I never had a chain/sprocket failure of any kind.
Posted By: JBurch

Re: Crank sprocket loose fit on crank. Any easy fixes? - 04/21/09 02:44 PM

I'll probably get for this cuz it's way too cheep a fix; I had the same problem with a chain and gear set I bought from a member years ago ( don't remember his name so it doesn't matter now )crank sprocket was loose (maybe that was why he was selling it unused and cheep), not one to give up, I took a center punch and pricked the crank to upset some materail to tighten up the fit (poor mans Knurel); it's tight, it works, case closed.

Re: Crank sprocket loose fit on crank. Any easy fixes? - 04/21/09 02:48 PM

I'd probably let it slid if it was race only but I plan to put quite a few street miles so I think that I really need a fix that is going to minimize sprocket runout.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Crank sprocket loose fit on crank. Any easy fixes? - 04/21/09 02:59 PM

If it's too loose,run an inside knurl on the gear or center punch about a 1/2 dozen spots on the inside of the gear or on the crank snout.You can also use retainer seal(Permatex or similar).The balancer hub will lock it in place
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Crank sprocket loose fit on crank. Any easy fixes? - 04/21/09 03:08 PM

I've done the center punch method JBurch and BG mentioned on a few motors and never had a problem. It tightens them up good. CHIP

Re: Crank sprocket loose fit on crank. Any easy fixes? - 04/21/09 03:33 PM

Thanks all ! the punch method is just the kind of easy fix I was looking for.
© 2024 Moparts Forums