Moparts

Light weight hood springs

Posted By: mercman1

Light weight hood springs - 04/11/23 11:50 PM

Looking for a set of hood springs similar to the 1970 T/A-AAR. Just put a glass hood on the GF's GTX and she insist it stay open on it's own (no prop rod). Any one have a source for these? Thanks!
Posted By: tex013

Re: Light weight hood springs - 04/12/23 12:01 AM

try gate springs from the hardware store

Tex
Posted By: BDW

Re: Light weight hood springs - 04/12/23 12:31 AM

Do B-bodies have holes in the hinges like E-bodies.
This is a simple solution that works great, bend up some 1/4" rod

[Linked Image]
Posted By: old_racer

Re: Light weight hood springs - 04/12/23 03:18 AM

VFN sold me a pair when I bought the hood from them for my 67, they work great, they had a couple of different rate springs, any fiberglass shop that sells hoods should sell them.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Light weight hood springs - 04/12/23 03:50 AM

Atomic Dog sells them here and on other sites. I have a set and they work great.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Light weight hood springs - 04/12/23 02:50 PM

Mine came from Glasstek.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Light weight hood springs - 04/12/23 04:24 PM

I have Harwood 210 part # gold medium tension springs on my car. I have a bolt on fiberglass custom made shaker hood by me, but it is not a race weight extra light hood. They also have a 200 part # that is a low tension silver spring and also a 215 part # that is a high tension black spring. I would try the 210 gold springs for your hood also.

Attached picture IMG_8664.jpg
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Light weight hood springs - 04/12/23 08:26 PM

This:

Attached picture misc 003 (2016_11_22 02_37_15 UTC).jpg
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Light weight hood springs - 04/12/23 08:27 PM

What I've noticed is that the spring serves two purposes - it not only holds the hood open but also pulls it down tight when closed.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Light weight hood springs - 04/13/23 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by old_racer
VFN sold me a pair when I bought the hood from them for my 67, they work great, they had a couple of different rate springs, any fiberglass shop that sells hoods should sell them.

What was the # weight of springs, I plan on using a glass hood with the RO scoop on my 66
Posted By: moparx

Re: Light weight hood springs - 04/17/23 05:36 PM

if i remember from Mr. P-Body [R.I.P. my friend. your vast knowledge and contributions to this site will be sadly missed ! angel] K-car hood springs were the same design as the A-body springs, which are a spiral wound type of spring hiding under the fender attaching to the hinge, rather than the common B-body exposed spring, and were a lighter tension.
beer
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Light weight hood springs - 04/18/23 04:37 PM

I got some from a Dodge Daytona/Shadow, etc. to replace a broken original for my Dart Lite (steel/aluminum hood) but with added scoop. (They weigh about 15 lbs less than all-steel.Dart hood They were a little weaker and didn't consistently keep it up so I used a prop stick with it. I hadn't tried it without the hood scoop. They would probably work good with a heavy fiberglass hood. OEM springs for all steel hoods are just too much will bend the hood in the middle.
Posted By: mercman1

Re: Light weight hood springs - 06/26/23 12:24 AM

6PKRTSE, you hit the nail on the head! I ordered the Harwood 210 off Amazon (Cheapest price. Under $80 bucks) and they work perfect!
Little installation tip: overall length of the spring when the hood is up should be about 11.5 inches. I used a come along to stretch the spring to that length and put wrenches between EACH coil. put the spring in place and remove one wrench at a time, Repeat process for the other spring.
The Queen is now happy with her new hood.

Attached picture 20230625_160209.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums