Moparts

Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel………….

Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 02:41 AM

What are you dudes paying and which brand? I have watched the prices get stupid crazy over the past few years! It’s ridiculous……

I just made the switch from VP Q16 to VP C23 for nitrous after the new BMCH 420.2 intake/Book carb updates. I bought three 5-gal cans of C23 today at $155 ea. OTD. Last time I was out with the car (Sept 2022) I paid $133 ea for 5-gal of VP Q16. Many places around here (in my area) don’t carry the fuel I need. Looks like I’m going to have to open an account and buy 55-gal drums. Going to try to finish my last 2 re-license passes this month or next around busy travel schedule. And nitrous by the pound is getting ridiculous too!

Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 02:48 AM

One of the reasons why I build my cars to run on pump gas since they are street/strip cars. I will run Q16 or C23 as well on spray at the track.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 03:11 AM

Alcohol is up to 220.00 a drum (54 gallons). I just ordered two.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 04:01 AM

Sunoco 110 race fuel 56.00 for a 5 gallon can up
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 07:12 AM

I like and ran pump E85 with all my motors in the S/P car I sold last year. I'm planning on using it with that fuel on my new 572 C.I. B1 motor with 14.25 to 1 comp. ratio with a sheet metal tunnel ram with two Mark Sullens E85 prep Domnators carbs and two kits of NOS on that motor luck
I'm hoping that works well luck
Posted By: dart games

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 09:27 AM

i use e85
Posted By: racerx

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by dart games
i use e85

x2here....i usually buy it by the drum(e-98) and mix it, haven't purchase a drum in a couple years but i imagine the price has went up.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 10:09 AM

I switched back to pump gas 93 on my new build....For the difference in ET, it made no sense. I also do not run a power adder yet. But when I do, its going to be E85 for me.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 10:37 AM

That is why I am a knuckle dragging pump gas guy lol.
Posted By: Tig

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 10:41 AM

Just a quick question or 2, Do you use a separate fuel cell and system for N20 ? How much fuel does the N20 kit(s) use per 100hp shot ?
Just for info, here in the UK at today's exchange rate, VP C12 is roughly $182 for a 19 litre drum. (5 US Gallons) or $36 a gallon. VP C23 works out at around $235 for a 5 US gallon drum. I use Avgas and super unleaded mixed 50 / 50, works out around $9.00 per us gallon.
Thanks. up
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 11:43 AM

Wes...the 5 gallon cans of C23 are $155 here also.
I use Renegade Pro 120N fuel. Last time I bought any was last fall and it was $17 per gallon if I recall correctly.

Tig...I don't run a separate fuel system for the nitrous. Too much clutter and a PITA in my opinion. I just drain the tank and refill when I get ready to spray it.
If you do run a separate system dedicated to the nitrous, a 1 gallon tank is PLENTY. It won't even come close to using half that unless you're spraying multiple BIG kits.
Posted By: cl440

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 12:14 PM

Been running pump E85 for a few years now. Its gone up as well. I was paying $1.39 a gallon for 87% a few years ago. The last batch I bought was still 87% but cost me $2.59 a gallon. Still a good deal compared to other race fuels.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 01:08 PM

Yep... I converted my motors to pump gas a few years ago but still add splash of 110 to be safe so a 5 gallon can lasts me a long time... on that note has anybody used the " new " Sunoco 94 octane unleaded ?

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 01:40 PM

Definitely has gone up. Just check my cost for C23 and it is now $107.26 per pail and Q16 is now $92.21 per pail. E85 IS $46.67 per pail. I may have to switch over to E85 also if I run more then pump gas often.

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 02:18 PM

I’m more worried about traction compound being more available this year.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Which brand and type traction compounds are good? My new car (1000+ HP) may need some whistling

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge

Which brand and type traction compounds are good? My new car (1000+ HP) may need some whistling

As supplied by tracks. We aren’t allowed to supply our own like the street outlaws. Lol
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by EvilB1Dart
What are you dudes paying and which brand? I have watched the prices get stupid crazy over the past few years! It’s ridiculous……

I just made the switch from VP Q16 to VP C23 for nitrous after the new BMCH 420.2 intake/Book carb updates. I bought three 5-gal cans of C23 today at $155 ea. OTD. Last time I was out with the car (Sept 2022) I paid $133 ea for 5-gal of VP Q16. Many places around here (in my area) don’t carry the fuel I need. Looks like I’m going to have to open an account and buy 55-gal drums. Going to try to finish my last 2 re-license passes this month or next around busy travel schedule. And nitrous by the pound is getting ridiculous too!

Yes, fuel is expensive. That is a crazy price for C23 ($31/gal). But those 5 gallon cans are expensive. You should be able to save money buying a drum.
I bought 30 gals of methanol (alky) and paid $4.10/gal. Sep 2021 I paid $3.00/gal.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 06:07 PM

how does non-E pump 90 [pure gasoline with no ethanol content] compare to regular pump 93 ?
beer
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
how does non-E pump 90 [pure gasoline with no ethanol content] compare to regular pump 93 ?
beer

Price wise or performance wise? Since I moved here I have been using no E pump 93 in the Mopar and no E pump 87 in all the small engine stuff and cheapest E10 87 in the drivers. Closest E85 station looks to be about 30 miles away. If I built a high compression engine I would probably go e85 before I would pay those crazy race gas prices even though pretty much everything $$$ in the fuel system would need to be changed to accommodate e85.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
beer

My 418 is 10:1 makes about 600HP and doesn't seem to care if its 91 E10 91 no E or 93 E or No E I have raced it on them all and it doesn't care.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 08:12 PM

My junk seems to run smoother on No E but probably no significant difference in power.

Years ago I had a snowblower and a chainsaw that had the fuel lines destroyed by E10. I have not had any issues since I switched them to No E. I would hope that the small engine industry addressed this issue but I think the owners manuals on all of my outdoor power stuff says No E and they sell it in quart cans for ridiculous prices. Luckily i can get No E pump gas about a mile away.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 09:01 PM

I can't justify full blown race only cars, that's why I build street/strip cars that run on pump 93. I tried no E 93, and I couldn't tell any difference, so I just run the E10 93 from the little country store just down the road.

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by justinp61
I can't justify full blown race only cars, that's why I build street/strip cars that run on pump 93. I tried no E 93, and I couldn't tell any difference, so I just run the E10 93 from the little country store just down the road.

And to each their own. I wouldn’t want another street strip car in my life. If I did it’s going to be a luxury power adder car with adjustable seats and air conditioning. Lol 😂

That’s for oldtimers sitting at car cruises sipping on umbrella drinks and talking about dyno sheets
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/06/23 10:03 PM

Q is $133 here as well.. The joys of west coast prices. We will be headed to St Louis in a few weeks for the NMCA race and will buy it there for $95 a pail.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/07/23 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
Q is $133 here as well.. The joys of west coast prices. We will be headed to St Louis in a few weeks for the NMCA race and will buy it there for $95 a pail.
Al what car you all bring to the Superbowl? I'll be spectating i'll try an look for you all.

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/07/23 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tig
Just a quick question or 2, Do you use a separate fuel cell and system for N20 ? How much fuel does the N20 kit(s) use per 100hp shot ?
Just for info, here in the UK at today's exchange rate, VP C12 is roughly $182 for a 19 litre drum. (5 US Gallons) or $36 a gallon. VP C23 works out at around $235 for a 5 US gallon drum. I use Avgas and super unleaded mixed 50 / 50, works out around $9.00 per us gallon.
Thanks. up

Wow that’s NUTS!

I don’t use a separate cell for nitrous on the current car; it’s a race car with more than adequate fuel system for big IS Holey Moley plate system. Many years ago I used a 1-gal nitrous fuel cell/fuel pump on a street car. Was clutter and a pain, but many were doing it. Echo what Chip stated…..

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/07/23 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Wes...the 5 gallon cans of C23 are $155 here also.
I use Renegade Pro 120N fuel. Last time I bought any was last fall and it was $17 per gallon if I recall correctly.

Chip,

I was thinking about trying the Renegade Pro 120N fuel, but the place that normally sells it was all out. I’ve heard good things about it, and it’s definitely cheaper.

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/07/23 04:25 AM

I’d never put the current car on the street. E85 won’t work for this combo, and I’d never try it. If I was trying to make power with a dedicated street car I’d definitely use E85. Even then I’d probably have to buy it by the drum because it’s not always good, or just difficult to find at times.

The alky and meth users here have no complaints LOL!

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/07/23 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by 6PKRTSE
Definitely has gone up. Just check my cost for C23 and it is now $107.26 per pail and Q16 is now $92.21 per pail. E85 IS $46.67 per pail. I may have to switch over to E85 also if I run more then pump gas often.

Those are reasonable prices……….wish I could find it that low here!
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/07/23 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
My junk seems to run smoother on No E but probably no significant difference in power.

Years ago I had a snowblower and a chainsaw that had the fuel lines destroyed by E10. I have not had any issues since I switched them to No E. I would hope that the small engine industry addressed this issue but I think the owners manuals on all of my outdoor power stuff says No E and they sell it in quart cans for ridiculous prices. Luckily i can get No E pump gas about a mile away.

This comes up a lot on forums I’m on. I’ve been running Stabil 360 basically since it came out. I run it year round in all my small power. Snowblower, leaf blower, chainsaw, lawn mower, weed eater. Every tank of the old car gets. I treated the pail of 100 octane I bought last summer(72 bucks OTD for rocket brand). I’ve never ever had a fuel system issue. Ever.

It also claims to be a fuel system cleaner. Dunno on that part, but I have no issues. Ever.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/07/23 01:03 PM

Oh no, is this still a thing? As soon as that crap started last year it got so bad I had to slow my car down.

Track has been horrible to start this year too. Seen them spray but don't know what they are using....

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/07/23 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by EvilB1Dart
Originally Posted by 6PKRTSE

Those are reasonable prices……….wish I could find it that low here!

I am W.D. or better with all racing suppliers. Thank God that I am. I could never do this hobby if I wasn't. It still took me over 13 years to build my car at that on an average working man's salary. Had to raise my 3 kids first though.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/07/23 02:58 PM

Wes..... remember what they say ....." Scared Money Dont Make Money ! ! "

LMAO shruggy

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/07/23 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by n20mstr
Wes..... remember what they say ....." Scared Money Dont Make Money ! ! "

LMAO shruggy

Lol! You been paying attention………LMAO!!!
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/07/23 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by racerx
Al what car you all bring to the Superbowl? I'll be spectating i'll try an look for you all.

Sorry for the non Mopar picture but this one. We run NMCA NA10.5 with it. Be great to meet some more Moparts folks. Norwalk is a place I always get to meet some new folks always a pleasure. Feel free to stop by and introduce yourself, and anyone else whos in attendance. Usually always at the trailer.

[Linked Image]

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/07/23 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
Originally Posted by racerx

Sorry for the non Mopar picture but this one. We run NMCA NA10.5 with it. Be great to meet some more Moparts folks. Norwalk is a place I always get to meet some new folks always a pleasure. Feel free to stop by and introduce yourself, and anyone else whos in attendance. Usually always at the trailer.

[Linked Image]

Good luck Al, Ryan and team!
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/08/23 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Tig...I don't run a separate fuel system for the nitrous. Too much clutter and a PITA in my opinion. I just drain the tank and refill when I get ready to spray it.
If you do run a separate system dedicated to the nitrous, a 1 gallon tank is PLENTY. It won't even come close to using half that unless you're spraying multiple BIG kits.

x2. I also remember Monte used to indicate not to mix fuels, and don't rely on higher octane in just the nitrous fuel cell if you went that route. The amount of fuel in the cylinder added by a typical plate or single fogger nitrous kit is minimal compared to what the engine is consuming from the carbs, so you aren't getting the real octane benefit.

I really like the idea of E85 but not sure I'm ready to swap a carb over to it yet. If I had EFI on my car it would already be on E85. $2.80/gallon E85 vs. $8/gallon Turbo Blue 110 at the pumps here is a no brainer for street strip cars. That more than covers the 30% fuel economy hit!
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/13/23 06:18 AM

Had the Charger on E-85 with the Quick Fuel carb and liked it, but found out the E-85 did not like my mallory 500 filter.
Switched to EFI, 100 octane gasoline with a real safe tune, a bit fat, and only 32-degrees ignition timing.
I was going to chassis tune the EFI with the gasoline, but am going back to E-85 with the EFI and stainless steel filter material.
Posted By: mopar_mark

Re: Good LAWD!!!!!!! The price of race fuel…………. - 04/13/23 08:29 PM

4 weeks ago, I was paying approx $88/19 litres (5 US Gallons) for E85 Race fuel, same brand can has now has gone up to $120/19 litres
© 2024 Moparts Forums