Moparts

Ati balancer hits timing cover

Posted By: onyxba

Ati balancer hits timing cover - 04/20/09 08:33 PM

On a big block with a gear drive and an aluminum timing cover, the Ati balancer hits the timing cover before it botoms against the crank gear. Can i take the stock balancer and cut the hub to make a crank spacer. Has anybody had this problem. Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 04/20/09 08:38 PM

Posted By: onyxba

Re: Ati balancer hits timing cover - 04/20/09 08:57 PM

Thanks Fred called ATI they say they have 2 length hubs, and that they would be more than happy to sell me a hub for $130. I asked if i could cut the old balancer and do like i suggest and he said no but that he would also be happy to sell me the spacers that they offer. ATI tech support sounds more like sales guy.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Ati balancer hits timing cover - 04/20/09 10:26 PM

Just swap to the longer ATI hub. Your pulley alignment will be way off but such is life.

The longer hub is also required when using a Jesel belt drive. I had to swap my ATI damper over to the longer hub when I installed the belt drive.
Posted By: savoyracer

Re: Ati balancer hits timing cover - 04/20/09 10:30 PM

Same problem here, Machinist simply made the spacer, and everything is fine. Sounds like a little "GOUGING" is going on.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Ati balancer hits timing cover - 04/20/09 10:44 PM

We have on occasion used a spacer.I don't know where we got them but they are aprox..200 thick with the notch for the keyway.I think I may have a few around.
Posted By: neonic

Re: Ati balancer hits timing cover - 04/20/09 11:06 PM

I had the same issue called ATI and they sent me 2 spacers for free. I think they were .090 thick each if I remember correct.
Posted By: ichsam

Re: Ati balancer hits timing cover - 04/20/09 11:10 PM

indy sells spacers for this
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Ati balancer hits timing cover - 04/21/09 12:32 AM

Quote:

indy sells spacers for this

Your right Sam,I probably got them from you. The ones we got from you are aprox..095 thick,the .200 came from Keith Black long ago.
© 2024 Moparts Forums