Moparts

Cam position relative to lifter bore

Posted By: RATTRAP

Cam position relative to lifter bore - 01/09/23 08:30 PM

Is there a way to move the cam fwd in the block to get the cam lobes lined up center to the lifter bores?
My cam looks like it needs to go about .125 to .25 fwd to line the lobes with the lifter bores
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Cam position relative to lifter bore - 01/09/23 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by RATTRAP
Is there a way to move the cam fwd in the block to get the cam lobes lined up center to the lifter bores?
My cam looks like it needs to go about .125 to .25 fwd to line the lobes with the lifter bores

If it’s a flat tappet cam they can’t be lined up. If it’s a roller then yes, they should be centered.
Posted By: INTMD8

Re: Cam position relative to lifter bore - 01/10/23 04:11 AM

If you do this, check timing set gear alignment. I guess do it anyway. I needed to shim my crank sprocket for timing set in order to align with cam timing gear.
Posted By: hemienvy

Re: Cam position relative to lifter bore - 01/10/23 01:22 PM

I thought flat tappet lifters were offset from the lobe centerline to make them spin.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Cam position relative to lifter bore - 01/10/23 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by hemienvy
I thought flat tappet lifters were offset from the lobe centerline to make them spin.

Nope. The bevel on the lobes and the convex face of the lifter are what do that.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Cam position relative to lifter bore - 01/10/23 01:53 PM

The key words here are "looks like". Moving the cam either way will move the oil feed holes in the cam relative to the ones in the cam journal decreasing or cutting off oil to the top end. It will move the oil pump drive gear contact point. And then there's the timing set which will probably now hit the cover and possibly not allow the balancer to properly seat which will change all your pulley alignment.

Why don't you take your issue to the right place ... the cam manufacturer !!

Re: Cam position relative to lifter bore - 01/10/23 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Stanton

The key words here are "looks like". Moving the cam either way will move the oil feed holes in the cam relative to the ones in the cam journal decreasing or cutting off oil to the top end. It will move the oil pump drive gear contact point. And then there's the timing set which will probably now hit the cover and possibly not allow the balancer to properly seat which will change all your pulley alignment.

Why don't you take your issue to the right place ... the cam manufacturer !!

You bring up some very good points, I will do some more measurement's before I go after the cam manufacturer, could be the lifter bores in the block were drilled incorrect.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Cam position relative to lifter bore - 01/10/23 06:07 PM

What block is it?

Re: Cam position relative to lifter bore - 01/11/23 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
What block is it?

KB Alum 426
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Cam position relative to lifter bore - 01/11/23 08:56 PM

So my next question is it a new or older version