Moparts

Indy Tunnel Ram Users

Posted By: Dragula

Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 01/04/23 01:40 AM

Can you get a plenum spacer from them, or do you need one? Seems all the pics of them, I see one sandwiched in there....And what size carbs for a 512 reving to 6500?
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 01/04/23 03:23 AM

I made my own out of white nylon 6/6. You can see it between the intake and top plate.

Attached picture IMG_8664.jpg
Posted By: Tig

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 01/04/23 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dragula
Can you get a plenum spacer from them, or do you need one? Seems all the pics of them, I see one sandwiched in there....And what size carbs for a 512 reving to 6500?

Yep, Indy do them 1/2" part# 440-14-15S $160 according to the price list. I asked Indy about these, they said on a 572 it was worth around 10Hp but only once the rpms exceeded 7200.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 01/04/23 01:50 PM

That suggests that the plenum is too large for engine (perhaps) smaller than 500".
Has anyone made a turtle or stuffer for this manifold? If carefully shaped, coated, and attached, wood is OK (Grumpy used it).
Posted By: moparx

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 01/04/23 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by 6PKRTSE
I made my own out of white nylon 6/6. You can see it between the intake and top plate.

is that nylon 1/2" thick ?
open or 4 hole ?
how does it compare to a thick, factory type fiber gasket with the bushed mounting holes ?
TIA. bow
beer
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 01/05/23 04:34 PM

You can buy them from Indy or make one obviously. There was at least 2 diff bolt patterns for the lids. What do you need? That's a question for the person who is engineering the entire engine from carbs to the oil pan. There are many ways to skin a cat and you have some core pieces to make power but the devil is in the details. Hutch, over at the bullet, mentioned one time that two different guys can build a 727 and one will be over a tenth quicker than the other while USING THE SAME PARTS. The engines that make more power than average ones likely have some more engineering incorporated.

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 01/05/23 04:42 PM

We know from testing our engines like more plenum...The more material I remove from their 4500 intakes, the faster my car goes, but never had one of their wedge tunnel rams. Either way, I am planning, if money allows, to put one on with two 750 carbs...

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 01/05/23 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tig

Yep, Indy do them 1/2" part# 440-14-15S $160 according to the price list. I asked Indy about these, they said on a 572 it was worth around 10Hp but only once the rpms exceeded 7200.

EDIT: Looking back at my conversation with Indy, the 572 wedge motor in question has a 1" spacer fitted. Apparently there was a "small gain between 7200 and 7500" so it might not have even been 10 hp (my memory ain't so good)

I've recently got hold of an Indy, 1/2" one (it's still stateside). The guy took it off his 572 motor as it made no difference at the track. This will be for my 655 motor as I think it may respond to more plenum shruggy
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 01/05/23 10:10 PM

It would be helpful if a proportionate relationship could be determined among the relevant factors:
1. engine size (or demand at peak power)
2. plenum volume
3. total carburetor CFM

AIUI, a bigger engine needs more plenum, but tests with a spacer showing no change cause me to question whether the jetting should also change for optimized?
AIUI, larger carburetors can work with a smaller plenum.

50 years ago, Grumpy was working with a SBC, a TR, and dual 660. He said that the highest dyno power would MPH well, but not launch the car: reduce the volume by 10%.

So... plenum volume vs. CFM: is there a number out there, like with 500" @ 7,000 you need X CFM & Y volume, or smaller X & larger Y, but what ratio?
Above a certain minimum volume, the buffering effect (vacuum pulse at the intake valve) reduces the draw at the venturi, and may cause fuel drop-out. What multiple of engine size does this, 100%? More?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 01/05/23 11:31 PM

Test, tests and tests some more until you know exactly what your stuff wants wrench scope up
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 01/05/23 11:38 PM

Junk that crap and get a tunnel ram in a sea shell. troll 🤣

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 01/23/23 02:01 PM

So, looking at the tunnel rams for a 400, how do I get the first piece of tunnel ram linkage to fit? The arm that the gas pedal cable attaches to and then transitions to the upper level?

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 01/23/23 02:45 PM

So, looking at the tunnel rams for a 400, how do I get the first piece of tunnel ram linkage to fit? The arm that the gas pedal cable attaches to and then transitions to the upper level?

Old pic but pretty much the same deal as now. HTH's up
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 01/23/23 03:17 PM

I drilled and tapped the manifold in between the runners for the lower pivot. I made an angle milled spacer block to get it level side to side and to the desired height. In hind sight it didn't need to be angle milled.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 01/23/23 03:24 PM

This is a $25 ebay throttle cable. With slight trimming of the threaded barrel, thinner nut, and a brass spacer it fits the stock pedal. Plenty of length to get anywhere. The you can loose all the complexity of the bell crank. Though this isn't a tunnel ram it's basically the same deal.
Doug

Attached picture 20210227_110101.jpg
Attached picture 20210227_110904.jpg
Attached picture 20210228_184554.jpg
Attached picture 20210228_184538.jpg
Posted By: cuda499

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 01/23/23 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tig

With increased RPM and cubes, a motor will want more plenum volume. Biggest thing ive seen is how much it cleans up the air fuels from cylinder to cylinder with proper plenum volume, it no longer has to steal from its neighbour cylinder.

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 02/06/23 08:11 PM

So on a 400/512, what kind of power increase might I see over a typical 1050 and an open spacer.

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 02/06/23 10:55 PM

So on a 400/512, what kind of power increase might I see over a typical 1050 and an open spacer.

My experience. 580ci 9.57 @ 142.5 Indy 440-3X, 1" tapered spacer and a Pro Systems modded Dominator. Swapping to an Indy T/R and 2 x 1150 Dominators. 9.51 @ 142.4, no other changes combo wise but car was likely 50lb heavier. up
EDIT. it's been almost 2 mph quicker in the 1/8th but this wasn't carried over to the 1/4 for some reason ??
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 02/07/23 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tig

My experience. 580ci 9.57 @ 142.5 Indy 440-3X, 1" tapered spacer and a Pro Systems modded Dominator. Swapping to an Indy T/R and 2 x 1150 Dominators. 9.51 @ 142.4, no other changes combo wise but car was likely 50lb heavier. up
EDIT. it's been almost 2 mph quicker in the 1/8th but this wasn't carried over to the 1/4 for some reason ?? Fuel delivery, volume work shruggy scope

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 02/07/23 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Originally Posted by Tig

EDIT. it's been almost 2 mph quicker in the 1/8th but this wasn't carried over to the 1/4 for some reason ?? Fuel delivery, volume work shruggy scope

Not sure Cab, fuel pressure fairly constant during a pass (7 dropping to 6 psi by the traps) but a change to a different rear ratio (4:10 - 3.73) has revealed a mismatched converter. I suspect even with the 4:10 rear we had over 15% slip, we now have 20% I didn't have a racepak fitted until this past season which at the same time we switched out to a 3.73 gear. I have a 9 1/2" converter to replace the old 8". shruggy
Posted By: LA360

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 02/14/23 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by HardcoreB

You can buy them from Indy or make one obviously. There was at least 2 diff bolt patterns for the lids. What do you need? That's a question for the person who is engineering the entire engine from carbs to the oil pan. There are many ways to skin a cat and you have some core pieces to make power but the devil is in the details. Hutch, over at the bullet, mentioned one time that two different guys can build a 727 and one will be over a tenth quicker than the other while USING THE SAME PARTS. The engines that make more power than average ones likely have some more engineering incorporated.

How different are the bolt patterns? I've got to make a new top for a friend's Hemi intake, I made one for a Wedge intake many years ago, I was hoping the bolt pattern was the same.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 02/16/23 10:20 AM

It is totally different. The old style uses a pile of flat headed, counter sunk #10 machine screws. The new style uses 14ish 1/4" or 5/16" bolts (cap screws) if I am remembering correctly.

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 02/16/23 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by LA360

How different are the bolt patterns? I've got to make a new top for a friend's Hemi intake, I made one for a Wedge intake many years ago, I was hoping the bolt pattern was the same.

Sorry missed this...I dont have a new one to see the differences and if there are MANY changes thru the years??? It seemed to me that the 3 i have worked-with being different in that the newer series has fewer perimeter anchor screws. For what it's worth i didnt use the countersunk fasteners. I used a large washer to cover the 'relief' and then used allen bolts. ALSO only used rtv...NO paper gasket material on the lid.

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 02/16/23 02:44 PM

In reviewing this thread i noticed there is a small grease finger print mark on the driver's side VC above the filler port!

Attached picture DVWmessyVC.jpg

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 02/16/23 03:35 PM

In reviewing this thread i noticed there is a small grease finger print mark on the driver's side VC above the filler port!

Good eye. But it's a chip that was touched up when it blew the top of the manifold off 10 years ago. Landed upside down caught by the throttle cable and fuel feed line. That was before it caught on fire. Same paint from 2012.
Doug

Attached picture 0523132006.jpg
Posted By: nss guy

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 02/16/23 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by dvw

Good eye. But it's a chip that was touched up when it blew the top of the manifold off 10 years ago. Landed upside down caught by the throttle cable and fuel feed line. That was before it caught on fire. Same paint from 2012.
Doug

Sticky nitrous solenoid?
Asking for a friend. laugh

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 02/16/23 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by nss guy
Originally Posted by dvw
[quote=HardcoreB]In reviewing this thread i noticed there is a small grease finger print mark on the driver's side VC above the filler port!

Sticky nitrous solenoid?

You caught me.
Doug
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 02/16/23 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by nss guy
Originally Posted by dvw

Doug

Sticky nitrous solenoid?

OMG ! ! ! grin whistling
Posted By: LA360

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 03/01/23 01:13 AM

Sorry missed this...I dont have a new one to see the differences and if there are MANY changes thru the years??? It seemed to me that the 3 i have worked-with being different in that the newer series has fewer perimeter anchor screws. For what it's worth i didnt use the countersunk fasteners. I used a large washer to cover the 'relief' and then used allen bolts. ALSO only used rtv...NO paper gasket material on the lid.

The top on the Hemi intake i've here in the shop is longer than the top I did for a Wedge intake about 10 years ago. Once I have modified the CAD, I'll try to remember to post a drawing of both.

What linkages do people tend to use? This engine is running two 4500 type throttle bodies, so I might be able to run the linkage in line?

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 03/01/23 01:19 PM

[quote=HardcoreB][quote=LA360][quote=HardcoreB][quote=Dragula]...

The top on the Hemi intake i've here in the shop is longer than the top I did for a Wedge intake about 10 years ago. Once I have modified the CAD, I'll try to remember to post a drawing of both.

What linkages do people tend to use? This engine is running two 4500 type throttle bodies, so I might be able to run the linkage in line?

I don't know why people don't do the linkage like what is pictured by DVW on his INDY C/R. It eliminates an inefficient mechanical coupling. If i ever redo mine again, it'll be this same way. (except maybe not use a dollar-store cable.) Looking forward to seeing your drawing...you do nice work. "IF I WERE INDY"...because it was released later, I'd also have designed the modman top so it was interchangeable to the T/R, the carb placement could be the same/ideal.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Indy Tunnel Ram Users - 03/01/23 01:43 PM

I'm gonna have to do same throttle set up as you on my Hemi using the Stage V 2x4 intake. Where is your throttle return spring hooked?
© 2024 Moparts Forums