Moparts

hemi head gaskets and header bolts ?

Posted By: calrobb2000

hemi head gaskets and header bolts ? - 12/31/22 04:32 AM

hi

what header gaskets does everyone like for the hemi ?

what holds up in the test of time ?

also what is the best type of header bolt to use in alu head hemi ?

thank you !

sending my headers out for jet hot coating i think , my 440 header coating is holding up fine after 5 years .

any other coatings that hold up to test of time and temp ?
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: hemi head gaskets and header bolts ? - 12/31/22 03:49 PM

My TTI gaskets work fine along with the SS bolts. If I was to pick another it would be Remflex gaskets and ARP bolts.
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: hemi head gaskets and header bolts ? - 12/31/22 06:22 PM

I use the FelPro 1462 gaskets and ARP stainless 12 point header bolts
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: hemi head gaskets and header bolts ? - 12/31/22 07:35 PM

SCE graphite coated header gaskets with the longer 3/8x1.0 course thread small (7/16 wrench size six sided) head header bolts with the flange heads up scope
Put a little bit of the high temp silicone gasket maker on the threads to help them stay in for year and years wrench up
Posted By: moparx

Re: hemi head gaskets and header bolts ? - 12/31/22 08:06 PM

i like to use studs on any application where possible, and reduced head flange nuts.
i also cut the flange between the pipes, and drill one hole two or three sizes oversize. this allows the pipes to expand and contract as they see fit, ensuring the gasket does not tear then blow out between differences in cylinder temperatures.
i stole these ideas from member Mr. P-Body many, many years ago, and they have worked great for me since.
remflex gaskets have worked well for me.
beer
Posted By: INTMD8

Re: hemi head gaskets and header bolts ? - 01/01/23 01:07 AM

I have TTI headers. I don't use gaskets, just a very thin smear of rtv and locktite on the bolts.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: hemi head gaskets and header bolts ? - 01/01/23 01:19 AM

Remflex #6037 are great header gaskets, they will not leak, also ARP 12 point bolts.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: hemi head gaskets and header bolts ? - 01/01/23 02:04 AM

I use Cometic gaskets and have s.s. studs with 12 point nuts.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: hemi head gaskets and header bolts ? - 01/01/23 02:14 AM

Yep, copper rtv works great.
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: hemi head gaskets and header bolts ? - 01/01/23 04:26 AM

Tti gaskets are VERY hard to remove. If you ever need to change them with the engine still in the car you'll hate life. They split apart when you try to remove them like the old holley carb gaskets. And they STICK
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: hemi head gaskets and header bolts ? - 01/03/23 02:01 PM

Fel Pro 1462 header gasket on the driver's side. Just high temp silicone on the passengers side. I also like the TTI header gaskets.
I use the bolts that came w/ the TTI headers.

The reason I use a gasket on the drivers side is b/c the header is sandwiched in there when the motor is dropped in...can't get room to put silicone on it. Much easier for me to just use a gasket.
The passenger's side header will fall out from under the car when you unbolt it. Fairly easy to silicone it and bolt it up.
Posted By: RATTRAP

Re: hemi head gaskets and header bolts ? - 01/03/23 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by NITROUSN
My TTI gaskets work fine along with the SS bolts. If I was to pick another it would be Remflex gaskets and ARP bolts.

SS bolts, Not with Alum heads i hope!
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: hemi head gaskets and header bolts ? - 01/03/23 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by RATTRAP
Originally Posted by NITROUSN

SS bolts, Not with Alum heads i hope!

Nickel based anti-seize with any bolt type (stainless or mild steel) going into aluminum solves the issue of galvanic corrosion
© 2024 Moparts Forums