Moparts

An old cylinder head, but a dandy!

Posted By: gregsdart

An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/06/22 05:19 PM

I went to Rock Falls Raceway last Friday, and spotted a duster , mini tubbed, caged , parachute, full interior. Then watched it rip off an 8.91 at 150 mph. I talked to the owner, and he asked if I knew what heads he had. I figured stage 6, and was right! Stage 6 Chapman ported, 540 cubic inch low deck aluminum block, single dominater on gasoline, 3340 lbs race weight. With an 8/10 mph 3/4 head wind and DA of about 2000 I was thoroughly impressed!
My 2019 mustang gt 10 auto didn't t fair as well, got sideways at 200 to 300 feet out ( street tires, e85) and had to lift! Best I could muster was a wheel spinning 12.23, 2.04 60 ft, at 118.6 mph. I quit trying after the 12.23 pass, just too squirrelly and didn't want to crash the car.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/06/22 05:46 PM

Any picture of the car?

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/06/22 07:17 PM

Sorry, no.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/06/22 08:45 PM

That was a decent head for the time for sure. For that weight thats close to 850-75HP...Alot for that head but doable..

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/06/22 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
That was a decent head for the time for sure. For that weight thats close to 850-75HP...Alot for that head but doable..

Al, that corolates to R&Rs dyno, where he said it made over 900. Figure the loss of hp with wind and DA, those heads are delivering. Also I recall he was leaving at 2500? Radials. So there is a bit more in it.
Posted By: old_racer

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/06/22 11:25 PM

If it was green , it was Josh with his demon. lives in Eau Claire area, great guy. fast car, he's stood it on the bumper a few times also.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/07/22 12:19 AM

Lot of power for those heads, must have the correct cam and compression and everything else is sorted out nicely.
Posted By: John Burdine

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/07/22 12:23 AM

Didn't Dulcich use these heads for an engine masters deal years ago?
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/07/22 03:18 AM

Wonder if they were originals “ported by Chapman”, or the “Chapman Stage VI”? The latter were an expensive set of heads!
Posted By: CokeBottleKid

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/07/22 03:57 AM

Still gots my chapman stage 6s I got from John Ah-ah laugh

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/07/22 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by old_racer
If it was green , it was Josh with his demon. lives in Eau Claire area, great guy. fast car, he's stood it on the bumper a few times also.
yes. Josh, green duster.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/07/22 09:57 AM

This is the car:

Attached picture 000C67FF-EEB4-4430-9128-510513EB036E.jpeg
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/07/22 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by 493_john
Didn't Dulcich use these heads for an engine masters deal years ago?

Yes , even though Parkhurst told us they were not legal because I could not call and order a set on the day the contest started .
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/07/22 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by CokeBottleKid

I couldn't remember who I sold them to , are you using them yet ?
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/07/22 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by JohnRR

I still got pics from when you showed them to me at Carlisle, but I opted not to purchase them. Does that count for anything? laugh2
Posted By: AndyF

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/07/22 02:17 PM

Nice looking car, has a very aggressive look about it. Not surprised it runs hard.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/07/22 05:14 PM

That's a bad ride! Very nice looking and runs really strong! Looks like it has the longer chevy length leaf springs under it judging by the length of the Cal-Trac bar.
Those heads can obviously make power, but they always seemed overpriced and required so much work to be useable.

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/07/22 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
That's a bad ride! Very nice looking and runs really strong! Looks like it has the longer chevy length leaf springs under it judging by the length of the Cal-Trac bar.
Those heads can obviously make power, but they always seemed overpriced and required so much work to be useable.

I thought Chapman made them race ready?

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/07/22 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by J_BODY
Wonder if they were originals “ported by Chapman”, or the “Chapman Stage VI”? The latter were an expensive set of heads!

Stage 6
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/07/22 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by gregsdart

I thought Chapman made them race ready?

I was referring to the Stage VI heads from MP. They were garbage as delivered from MP. For the amount of money you'd have in them to make a decent head, you'd have been better off to start w/ something from Indy.
The Chapman Stage VI heads were supposed to be good to go, but were really expensive from what I remember. Expensive enough that I'd rather go the B1 route and have more power potential.
Posted By: dvw

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/07/22 09:01 PM

I made a deal to get a pair of max wedge port window Chapmans. For my N/SS car. All that was available at that time was standard port window. So that's what I ended up with. I sold them to a member here around 2012. Took the money and bought the used pair of -1s I have today. For sure this Demon runs very well.
Doug
Posted By: CokeBottleKid

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/08/22 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by JohnRR

Long story... they're mounted on the haze motor but I got 1.5 rockers for them... big mistake

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/08/22 05:06 AM

These Chapmans kinda resemble a smaller version of a Brewer head? Raised port, hi velocity, excellent power for their size. The nice thing is they will use an RB intake on a low deck block. That allows a lot of choices.
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/11/22 04:39 PM

I remember seeing that car surfing Youtube...impressive performer!!!
Posted By: tubtar

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/11/22 06:07 PM

It certainly does.
I bought his old set up with the MoPar front segments.
I don't know him well . but he seemed pretty sharp as we discussed different approaches to making a car work.
Does his own fab work and it looks as good as it works.
Posted By: PETE@BESTMACHINE

Re: An old cylinder head, but a dandy! - 10/12/22 05:00 PM

We built the engine for Josh, He had all the major parts . We pushrod oiled it, our piston design and ring pack, machined everything and put it together like we do. It made good power on our dyno and he used his local shop to dyno it when he got back home and it made more on there's lol . There are pictures of the build and a dyno video on our Facebook page
© 2024 Moparts Forums