Moparts

Time to Retire?

Posted By: gregsdart

Time to Retire? - 04/16/09 01:01 PM

Seems like the best choice at this point, everything I have is posted in the race section. It does leave me with some regrets, like not driving it with the improvements I have in the works. My goal was to have the fastest 3000 lb car with 440-1 heads, and I think it just might have been. But an early retirement at work and financial considerations, not to mention less desire to work at racing, have helped me come to a conclusion. I will not leave this sight, as my heart is hear, and always will be. Some of my best memory's over the last thirty two years involve this car and racing!
Posted By: Rodney

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/16/09 01:15 PM

When one door closes another will open!
Sorry to hear your leaving your passion.
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/16/09 02:13 PM

Hang in there, buddy! Looking forward to a real good conversation with ya this weekend! Sure has been a while!

Wes

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/16/09 02:26 PM

Rodney, I agree. I do like to help others in the automotive sports, and Wes, the chance to help on your car is one of my best memorys! Can't wait to chew the fat this weekend and find out what ya been up to.
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/16/09 02:43 PM

An ocassional tuner is always needed somewhere to satify the itch.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/16/09 03:03 PM

I know a guy who needs loads of help He
lives in a great tourist area and in one of the best places on earth to ride Harley's too
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/16/09 03:59 PM

Quote:

I know a guy who needs loads of help He
lives in a great tourist area and in one of the best places on earth to ride Harley's too

You left out, golfing, but really, when did you move back to Arizona, Al?

Wes
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/16/09 04:06 PM

Thinking the same thing myself. The Model A is almost completed and racing just isn't as much fun as it used to be.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/16/09 04:07 PM

Life is full of changes....some good some bad but, you do what ya gotta do. I`ve considered selling/trading my dart for years but just can`t let it go yet and hopefully NEVER because "then what?". You`ll make the right decisions and your cars is bad a$$. By the way; I have the fastest purple dart w/rpm`s on my street.
Posted By: 72blubird

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/16/09 04:22 PM

Greg don't know you but have seen you and the car. Sorry to hear of your decision. Like seeing your posts and hope to see you run again sometime.

Life is but a breath
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/16/09 04:53 PM

Greg, I sure have enjoyed your posts over the years. Your car has always been one of my favorite cars on the site. But more than that, you yourself are one of the best guys in the hobby.( I say that, not actually "knowing" you but I am confident its true). Best of luck to you in all that you do.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/16/09 05:07 PM

When you think your ready to retire it is time to do it You can always unretire I've done it two or three times so far

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/16/09 11:08 PM

Al, it would be great fun to help out! Sandy and I are planning our winter warmth trip, may have to consider going west rather than east!
Wes, golf sounds like a great idea. Maybe a trip to the track, Texas roadhouse, this retirement is beginning to sound better!
Dominic, love your dart! Anybody that has a 9 second street ride gets my vote!
Glen, David, Cab, Guys like you all have made this sight a great place to hang out. Not only great people, but the ET you see in my sig is in large part to info gleaned from the gang here!. Nobody ever does it alone! That is why i will be on the board for some time, enjoying your good company!
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/16/09 11:48 PM

these threads are worse than last years carnage threads. i'm sorry to hear this, i always loved reading your posts and IMO,your car was one of the baddest A$$ cars on this board
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/16/09 11:52 PM

You have to do what is best for you and your family. I know I've learned a lot from all the help you have given me over the years I've been on this site.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/16/09 11:59 PM

good luck Greg , I know what your talking about as far as the desire goes. I really don't think I have it anymore either.
Posted By: cgall

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/17/09 12:33 AM

Sell your drivetrain and all your junk. Put a pump gas motor in the Dart and do a burnout in front of your house once in awhile.
Posted By: cudabin

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/17/09 12:48 AM

I guess you gotta do what you gotta do...

Your car is insanely fast for 3,002 #'s and 528 cubes! Definitely your example helped make my decision to switch to Alcohol this year.

Glad to hear you are going to stay on the site, because I for one appreciate your advice and ideas.

Cheers,

Arnie
Posted By: StrokerPost

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/17/09 01:10 AM

From another "moving on to other things" guy, I wish ya the very best in whatever ya do. Been fun reading about your car.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/17/09 02:15 AM

Hey Greg. You know you'll miss it. We both have this deal in our blood. You need to find a fit to allow you to pursue a less $$ demanding program. Keep the stuff, and use it when you feel like it. Maybe John can conform to front distributor land! Greg, you're the best. Take care, man. Leigh
Posted By: Lil Demon

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/17/09 03:02 AM

Take it easy and take it slow. Best of luck. Wish my turd would run close to what yours does.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/17/09 03:10 AM

Golf.....We have this placde called Pebble Beach just down the road, I hear they play golf there
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 04/17/09 03:49 AM

Posted By: quickd100

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/17/09 10:01 AM

Golf???.....What do you use on a golf....a shotgun or a rifle?
Hate to hear you getting out Greg, but whatever makes you happy is whats important. Hope you and Sandy don't forget where Intersate Dragways is located, you can always come up and bracket race that mustclang. Dave
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/17/09 10:37 AM

Quote:

Golf???.....What do you use on a golf....a shotgun or a rifle?
Hate to hear you getting out Greg, but whatever makes you happy is whats important. Hope you and Sandy don't forget where Intersate Dragways is located, you can always come up and bracket race that mustclang. Dave

Someone tried that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MApJnyk1PV8
Posted By: nhramark

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/17/09 07:22 PM

Sorry to hear that Greg. Let me thank you now for the pm's you have sent me in the past. (I still have some of them)You took the time to send some well thought out opinions, and suggestions. Considering how well your car runs, I value and appreciate anything you have to offer.

Good luck in retirement, that's the only time I wish I was a little older!
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/17/09 08:07 PM

Quote:

Not only great people, but the ET you see in my sig is in large part to info gleaned from the gang here!. Nobody ever does it alone!

Well stated!
Lots of people on this board have taught me things that have made my car what it is today.

I have recieved some good advice from you over the years, and just recently with the alcohol injection. I love it, and with everyone's advice, the transition went better than I could have hoped.

If you can, store the race car for at least a year. Just in case you want to make a few passes at either your regular track or some "special" fun event.

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/18/09 01:08 AM

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Ya, it is tough to contemplate not having a car I have owned and raced since 1978! What a transition, from a beat up streeter with a 340 that had the cam in a tooth advanced(it did sound rather funny!) to a hopped up smallblock, a backhalfed bigblock at 535 cubes, a 475 cube 440, 499/400, and then what it is today. It has been great fun!
This pic is from 1985, at Interstate, by Fargo/Moorhead. It was either this pass or one the next day that I hit the brakes hard in the lights, just as it went over the famous "dip" at the finishline. Got so sideways they couldn't see my car for the tire smoke!

Attached picture 5171111-9.jpg

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/18/09 01:12 AM

Another, about 1983 after pulling the rear axle forward six inches. That helped a lot, but it was still a leafspring car with too much torque for em!

Attached picture 5171120-7.jpg

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/18/09 01:16 AM

The day in 1997 when it was completed as a fully caged car, 17 inch engine setback, 106 wheelbase, still 6 inches forward of stock for the rear axle.

Attached picture 5171131-10.jpg

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/18/09 01:19 AM

Is your axle still 6 inches forward? Just wondering..mine is 4 inches.

Re: Time to Retire? - 04/18/09 01:21 AM

Quote:

The day in 1997 when it was completed as a fully caged car, 17 inch engine setback, 106 wheelbase, still 6 inches forward of stock for the rear axle.

lol..you musta just read my mind, Greg..thanks! lol
© 2024 Moparts Forums