Moparts

Speedmaster DNA rocker arms

Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/12/22 07:25 PM

Has anyone here used or seen these DNA rocker arms? They look better than most of the other "cheap" rockers on the market today. I might get a set to try with a very small roller cam 528/242 with some street roller springs. I would think they might live in a mild combination like this shruggy
https://www.speedmaster79.com/Mopar...atio-DNA-Aluminum-Roller-Rocker-Arms-Set
Gus beer
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/12/22 11:14 PM

This is what I say about Chinese roller bearing rockers

https://youtu.be/A732Cuuo2tI
Posted By: forphorty

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/12/22 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

This is what I say about Chinese roller bearing rockers

https://youtu.be/A732Cuuo2tI
I gots ta know!
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/13/22 11:32 AM

Yes, they LOOK nicer than they used to... but if it's the same quality of materials as before --> shake_head
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/14/22 02:52 AM

I’m using them. After having good luck for years with a set of their bushed Stainless rockers, I decided to give the DNA rockers a chance. I found the same exact thing as I had with the steel set, and that is that the adjuster hardware is junk. When I first installed them, I found the lash increasing and upon inspection the ball ends on the adjuster studs were wearing down ridiculously fast. Like visible wear in 10 minutes run time. I called Speedmaster / Procomp and to their credit, they did work with me and were willing to own the issue. I bought some name brand (comp if I remember correctly) adjuster hardware, and installed it. I’ve no problems with them since. Been 4 years on a solid flat tappet and they have been near perfect with respect to lash checks. I’m about to run them on my new engine which will feature a solid roller with 600 lbs of open pressure.

Picture is of the junk adjuster studs after 1 warm up. Zero wear or issue with my Manton pushrod cups, but balls were going away fast!

Attached picture 7D00BC08-A20E-4ED0-B8BC-DCC5F6B87C06.jpeg
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/14/22 01:16 PM

StealthWedge67 - Have you disassembled them after long-term usage to inspect the shaft for wear, the bearings for freedom of movement, etc.?

600 lbs open pressure... luck
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/14/22 05:22 PM

Those tip rollers look small, or is it just my failing eyesight?
If yes, they oscillate over a greater range than "normal" rollers, which means more needles are loaded*. Bad: has fewer rollers.

* The roller arc (degrees of rotation before reversal) is a function of its diameter and net lift. 10" rollers will move 1 degree with .500" lift, and the entire load will land on a few needles at 12 o'clock position.

Needles where you don't need them make me nervous. Ever seen a Harley that lost a lifter? The loose needles get between the cam gear teeth, which blows the right case into junk.
Posted By: BCFKody

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/14/22 05:50 PM

Unlike all the other Chinesium aluminum roller rockers, there are no needles bearings on the DNA rockers, they ride on bronze bushings.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/14/22 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by BCFKody
Unlike all the other Chinesium aluminum roller rockers, there are no needles bearings on the DNA rockers, they ride on bronze bushings.

Really?

Attached picture Screenshot_20220914_142416.jpg

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/14/22 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by GomangoCuda

Really?

He had me double checking myself too. Hmmmm

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/14/22 08:32 PM

Yes, really. Took delivery of a set last week. Bushings not needle bearings. Want a pic?

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/14/22 08:43 PM

Got these last week.

Attached picture 8F59FE9F-C0B0-45B5-AB6A-FC6442303828.jpeg
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/14/22 08:59 PM

Cannot argue with that…..are there 2 options?

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/14/22 09:13 PM

No. Only one option, apparently redesigned.

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/14/22 09:17 PM

I wonder why. Lol 😂

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/14/22 11:44 PM

That bushing deal makes me very happy up Put some premium hardware in them and they will be fine with 430 on the nose.

Gus beer

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/15/22 12:31 AM

Fourgearsavoy. I bought them for exactly that kind of application…a mild solid street roller with .600 net lift and around 450# over the nose. I also plan to replace the adjusters with premium hardware. (a must!)
Posted By: B1duster

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/15/22 12:35 AM

These mopar/ proform are now bushed also
https://www.proformparts.com/produc...unt-mopar-black-fits-bb-chrysler-engines
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/15/22 12:50 AM

I wonder if they are made at the same factory work

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/15/22 01:03 AM

The speedmasters look beefy. The new Black Proforms look like the blues with bushing added. https://www.proformparts.com/cache/images_ePIM_original_440-468_arms_w1000_h1000_q80.jpg

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/15/22 01:11 AM

B1duster. Yeah, I thought the design looked beefy too. I like the “girder-like” ribs supporting the roller axle and the extra meat around the shaft that previously had been reduced by the needle bearings and bearing cage.

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/15/22 02:41 AM

What diameter springs do you have ?
Have you mocked them up yet ?
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/15/22 03:20 AM

Got these last week.

This is really interesting. Mine are full roller, and their website describes a full roller unit.

I currently have my stuff apart. I’ll check the shafts for wear next time I’m in the garage.

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/15/22 04:18 AM

1.54 diameter springs; I haven’t mocked them up yet. I don’t anticipate any clearance issues, but I’ve been surprised before.

Re: Speedmaster DNA rocker arms - 09/15/22 11:21 PM

I've never built a street engine with aluminum rockers before so I'm a bit nervous about the aluminum. These rockers look really beefy though and with the bushings I think I would be safe. Putting my order in tonight so I can get it done before the cold weather sets in.

Thanks for all the responses up

Gus beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums