Moparts

Great article

Posted By: blue_stocker

Great article - 07/28/22 04:59 AM

Great guy and his dream and he's still at it!

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/a-unique-engine-building-time-capsule-the-larry-ofria-story/
Posted By: gremlinsteve

Re: Great article - 07/28/22 02:27 PM

Awesome read
Posted By: stroked470

Re: Great article - 07/28/22 03:32 PM

300by500 just made a post a couple days ago with dyno numbers for his 496 street engine. The picture with the guy in the dyno cell is Larry's son Frank. He works at a local machine shop in Springfield TN. He does all my machine work.
Posted By: topside

Re: Great article - 07/28/22 03:39 PM

Ofria was a big deal in the San Fernando Valley back in the day.
"Valley Head Job" - as a lot of racers called it - was a busy place.
Posted By: stroked470

Re: Great article - 07/28/22 03:44 PM

I remember all the articles in the car magazines about Valley Head Service. There was a local guy here that ports heads that worked for Larry in the 90's but here finally screwed me over so I have to find someone else to do them for me. Frank is a great guy also.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Great article - 07/28/22 06:10 PM

wow. i haven't heard of valley head service in a long, long time !
there used to be articles about them all the time in the hot rod magazines.
beer
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Great article - 07/28/22 08:50 PM

I had his shop do a set of early 383 heads adding big valves and some minor porting in 1971, they were nice up
I went back in 1973 when he was going through a divorce (that I didn't know about then) and got sheety work on a set of Hemi stocker heads and the same 383 heads that had suffered from the cam pin coming out of the Isky single bolt roller cam bending a bunch of valves.
I learn later he had gotten better after his divorce, but I had switch to another head company in San Fernado Valley, Air Flow Research and never went back to VHS.
I had friends and fellow racers who use his shopafter 1978 and they had excellent work done in the in his new shop where he is still at now: up:
© 2024 Moparts Forums