Moparts

Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad

Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/22/22 04:03 PM

What if you had your own little chunk of drag strip at home, maybe 150 ft or so and then some shutdown area? You could really get the chassis dialed in. Has anyone done this? If so, how did you build it, how did you prep it?
Posted By: furious70

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/22/22 06:20 PM

you mean not the county pavement in front of the house? drive

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/22/22 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by furious70
you mean not the county pavement in front of the house? drive

That would work for the no prep guys! I'm thinking something that could be prepped like a typical drag strip starting line. That a guy could do unlimited launches to test every possible combination to see what the effect is on the 60 ft.

My driveway's a half mile long and it's gravel. I could potentially pave a stretch of it for this purpose. The site is secluded enough that I don't think I would be bothering anybody.

Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/22/22 07:49 PM

always thought about doing my gravel driveway (21 telephone poles long) was going to do first 60 ft concrete, then maybe 100 or so feet asphalt, but know my ex-wife lives there
Posted By: topside

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/22/22 11:09 PM

For 20 years or so I've wanted a water box and maybe 150 feet, just for 60-foots.

Bet you could charge admission, say $10 a burnout laugh2
Posted By: furious70

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/23/22 12:14 AM

hot tires off the end into the gravel would be a mess of picked up rocks though? It's always been bad for me coming off the highway onto the drive after tomfoolery at least and that's at the end of 1/8mi or so

It would be very helpful to have though!
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/23/22 12:22 AM

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. realcrazy
Posted By: dart games

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/23/22 12:43 AM

through out the years ive seen pics of private test area,if you have the land.money and all you do is race why not

Attached picture 1268362_527270167349714_568374704_o.jpg
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/23/22 04:28 AM

I test in my driveway before we head out to an event. Maybe 150-160 ft of asphalt. You definitely pick up some stones but that happens everywhere with m5 or whatever flavor of sticky tire you run.

The main problem with these driveway antics are trees, buildings and power poles.

If your road is clear of hazards I say go for it. In fact, make at least 660' of it 14ft wide.

If you build it, they will come. Would you have a tree and some sort of timing system?
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/23/22 01:07 PM

I had one. Concrete with a broom finish. Was great for testing.
Posted By: moparjohn

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/27/22 07:59 PM

So I live out of town on 8 acres.
The first 150 feet of my driveway is blacktop.
This is where I do my tire tests and transmission and trans brake tests.
Then I have another 400 feet of almost straight cement.
This is good for testing shift points and braking.
MJ

Attached picture IMG_9947.JPG
Attached picture IMG_9948.JPG
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/27/22 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by topside
For 20 years or so I've wanted a water box and maybe 150 feet, just for 60-foots.

Bet you could charge admission, say $10 a burnout laugh2

Would be fun to have. Without a timing system though, hard to tell by seat of the pants even a few hundreds regards 60 foot
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/27/22 10:11 PM

Those "Dragy" GPS based systems do some pretty amazing things so I am sure you could use one of those. I have seen lots of people post real time slips next to a dragy app view and they are pretty damn close.

https://dragymotorsports.com/products/dragy-gps-performance-box

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/27/22 10:13 PM

Good stuff, thanks for the replys. I'd need a timing system to test the effect of changes. My driveway has trees and drop offs on both sides. So I'd need so concrete barriers, or else build it out in the field where there are no hazards.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/27/22 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish
Those "Dragy" GPS based systems do some pretty amazing things so I am sure you could use one of those. I have seen lots of people post real time slips next to a dragy app view and they are pretty damn close.

https://dragymotorsports.com/products/dragy-gps-performance-box

Cool. Looks neat!

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/27/22 11:37 PM

You could just go to the local 1/8 track that is 45 minutes from your house…
Posted By: Wirenut

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/28/22 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
What if you had your own little chunk of drag strip at home, maybe 150 ft or so and then some shutdown area? You could really get the chassis dialed in. Has anyone done this? If so, how did you build it, how did you prep it?

We have all dreamed about this .

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/28/22 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX

the opportunities are so few.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/28/22 12:21 PM

My driveway is about 1/4 mile long and mostly straight. Hay fields on both sides. Only the portion close to the house is paved w/ asphalt, the rest is recycled asphalt...so it isn't nearly as hard/durable.. Always wanted to do a 100' stretch of it in concrete and then pave the rest of it, but $$$$.
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/28/22 02:57 PM

I live on a "dog bone" where each end of the street is a cul de sac and the neighborhood has cookouts and get-togethers on our end of the dog bone on occasion. My wife and I were going out for dinner the other night when there were a bunch of people hanging out; one of the local Dad's yelled "Do a burnout!" The old expression "Be careful what you wish for..." came to mind, but I slooooowly pulled out of the driveway and drove carefully through the crowd of kids and adults.

These are the same people who think of the 1320 as "the loud car", when the fact is most didn't even live here when the '73 Chally was last running. They have no idea... wink

If I turned our cul de sac into a 60-ft practice pad, people would totally freak. drive

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/28/22 03:15 PM

You do know you can rent the track. Doesn't have to be a race day. Would be cheaper than trying to set up your own.

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/28/22 04:51 PM

Stop it with your level headed, logical ideas. We are building backyard drag strips over here lol.

(Jeff is probably right)
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/28/22 05:06 PM

You do know you can rent the track. Doesn't have to be a race day. Would be cheaper than trying to set up your own.

I bet Jeff would even split it with you, 90/10!

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/28/22 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
Stop it with your level headed, logical ideas. We are building backyard drag strips over here lol.

(Jeff is probably right)

I’m one of the very few on this board, that has ever been to Joel’s house. Trust me, it’s an accident waiting to happen, and don’t encourage him… Why spend the time and money on this, when the car isn’t running until Drag Week anyways?

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/28/22 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish

I bet Jeff would even split it with you, 90/10!

99/1… I’m poor.

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/28/22 07:36 PM

Think big!

Attached picture the-magic-of-thinking-big.png
Posted By: R3 Racing

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/28/22 09:14 PM

I believe it would be possible to build a business around providing dyno services (both chassis and engine) along with actual on track testing for sixty foot launches. The launch testing could include video of all angles above and below. Reaction time tuneing with suspension setups would be available. The ability to include technical services for fine tuning various configurations of fuel injection, grid, turbos, Pro Chargers, and traction control software would be essential. Sales and installation of performance parts could also be iincluded. It could be a must "go to" for both the rookie and the serious racer.

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/29/22 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jeremiah

(Jeff is probably right)

I’m one of the very few on this board, that has ever been to Joel’s house. Trust me, it’s an accident waiting to happen, and don’t encourage him… Why spend the time and money on this, when the car isn’t running until Drag Week anyways?

lol you make several good points sir!

Re: Has anyone ever set up their own starting line/launching pad - 04/29/22 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by R3 Racing
I believe it would be possible to build a business around providing dyno services (both chassis and engine) along with actual on track testing for sixty foot launches. The launch testing could include video of all angles above and below. Reaction time tuneing with suspension setups would be available. The ability to include technical services for fine tuning various configurations of fuel injection, grid, turbos, Pro Chargers, and traction control software would be essential. Sales and installation of performance parts could also be iincluded. It could be a must "go to" for both the rookie and the serious racer.

I agree however in practice most people are unwilling to spend the money for services like you listed above. At $100/hour for the dyno and $140/hour for a tech you can burn 5k worth of time up pretty quickly. Most of the cars we see on the chassis dyno are finished projects that the owner couldn't get to run right, always blaming the carburetor. About 50% of the time the problem will electrical/ignition , 25% of the time it's because the engine dyno guy "tuned it" only at idle and WOT, nowhere in between and the other 25% are installation errors and manufacturer quality control issues. It's really a good reason to have a guy like Dominic from Thumper Carbs go through your carb (s) before hitting the dyno. The machining is all over the place and assembly line (wet flowed) must be done without a human present. The AED 950 I have shot fuel straight up out of both squirter screws because the top gaskets were missing. It was marked "tested" or something like that on the spec card which makes it even more hilarious to me. If the car needs a $1000 or better carb/ignition/wiring rehab, 3-4 hours on the wheel dyno ($400 + 560) and then 3-4 hours of chassis tuning ($560) you have about $2500 into a days worth of work at the shop. Most people I know are too cheap or their lust for automotive knowledge keeps them from spending money like that when parts could be funded. Just one guys opinion..
© 2024 Moparts Forums