Moparts

Cometic gasket trim with head installed?

Posted By: dvw

Cometic gasket trim with head installed? - 04/08/22 11:22 PM

Figured I'd ask before I remove the heads for the 3rd time. Any way to trim the gasket while assembled? I don't see any way. Should've paid attention to 440 Jim's thread. This is the 3rd pr of Cometic's on this engine. Never had the issue before. #4 and #5 exhaust pushrods hit the center portion of the gasket that doesn't set on the deck itself. Just hangs in the breeze. Any Ideas?
Doug
Posted By: dodger mope

Re: Cometic gasket trim with head installed? - 04/08/22 11:36 PM

with the right tool bend it out of the way
Posted By: INTMD8

Re: Cometic gasket trim with head installed? - 04/09/22 12:53 AM

Not sure how much room you have or how close you need to get to the side but possibly a knockout punch? Or as mentioned bend it (tapered drift)?
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Cometic gasket trim with head installed? - 04/09/22 04:48 PM

Carbide burr. Tape Everything off and let it eat
Posted By: 67_Satellite

Re: Cometic gasket trim with head installed? - 04/10/22 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by FastmOp
While holding the end of the shop-vac hose as close as possible.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Cometic gasket trim with head installed? - 04/10/22 03:16 AM

No way would I get anywhere near that engine with a carbide burr during assembly..... eek

I have 7/16 pushrods and have always trimmed that center piece off that is basically useless with tin snips before I put them on Doug. Just did it tonight on mine. I think that is the spot you are referring too? Lift the pieces apart and do them separately.

Just pull them back off and get out the tin snips.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Cometic gasket trim with head installed? - 04/10/22 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by FastmOp
shock tsk
Take the heads off for pushrod clearance grinding wrenchtwocents

Re: Cometic gasket trim with head installed? - 04/10/22 11:59 PM

Boy am I dumb. Always think simple. Words to live by. I should pay attention to my own words. This is the 3rd pair of Cometics I've used in this motor. Never had an issue before. Pulled the heads trimmed the gaskets. Clamped the gaskets between two pieces of wood and cut off the excess. Deburred all 5 layers. The stainless center layer is tough. The piece I cut off looked symmetrical. Humm? Cleaned off the RTV from the valley plate. Relubed all the studs. Reinstalled and torqued the heads. Number 5 pushrod still looked odd. upon looking further I see the issue. The motor has off set cups in the intake lifters. I had the #5 lifter pair rotated around with the exhaust and intake lifters swapped. Getting old. Should have investigated further. Anyway is all together except the pan and oil pump.
Doug

Attached picture 20220410_133424.jpg
Attached picture 20220410_172703.jpg
Attached picture 20220410_184444.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Cometic gasket trim with head installed? - 04/11/22 12:10 AM

I've never made any mistakes whistling That I didn't regret later realcrazy
Your still human up Glad you caught it up
Posted By: John Burdine

Re: Cometic gasket trim with head installed? - 04/11/22 12:21 AM

Doug, who's mandrel and pulley do you have?

Re: Cometic gasket trim with head installed? - 04/11/22 12:46 AM

GZ mandrel and front Pulley. My friend Paul made the larger rear alternator pulley. It had a GZ alternator pulley that was smaller in diameter.
Doug
© 2024 Moparts Forums