Moparts

Burnt crankshaft

Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Burnt crankshaft - 02/28/22 02:08 PM

I have 2 crankshafts that were stored in a building that burned to the ground. Both had been machined and were ready to use.
Obviously they need cleaning, machined again, etc.

My question is are they useable if they can be turned again (not bent)? I'm no metallurgist, but would the heat from the fire have caused any irreparable damage?
They are a forged 440 crank and an old crank from a mid/late '50s Chevy 283.

Attached picture crankshafts.jpg
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 02/28/22 02:32 PM

Meh, that'll buff-out. Honestly though, hard to know what kind of temperature conditions they were subject to including possible rapid thermal shock from a extinguisher. That said, if it checks out at the crank shop....good to go! I'd tap it and see if they 'ring' before delivering for machining FWIW.

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 02/28/22 03:32 PM

I don't know how hot it got, but there was nothing left of that building but metal and concrete. Anything aluminum was reduced to a puddle on the floor.

Guess I'll clean them up and see how they look. up
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 02/28/22 03:54 PM

Probably junk.
They can be thermally normalized , and re-treated for temper.
Then re-machined.
By the time you spend that money , you are pretty close to a decent new piece.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 02/28/22 04:49 PM

Toss them in the scrap bin...
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 02/28/22 05:12 PM

I bet there warped.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 02/28/22 05:17 PM

Probably no good anymore. Sorry man.

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 02/28/22 05:44 PM

Thanks yall, I'll scrap them along w/ everything else. Fires suck.
Luckily this was the worst damage to a car...

Attached picture road runner.jpg
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 02/28/22 05:45 PM

way too close for comfort....................someone up there digs MoPars too.

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 02/28/22 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda

Is that your car?

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 02/28/22 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX

Is that your car?

Yes. This is the first car my Dad and I fixed up. I put the old Indy headed motor that used to be in my cuda into it. Just never completely finished it to race, but it does run and drive.
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 02/28/22 05:50 PM

Those cranks are way to easy and cheap to come by to take a chance. Just my two cents.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 02/28/22 06:47 PM

Is there a shop nearby that can test them for hardness?
If so I would have them check before tossing them twocents wrench
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 02/28/22 07:02 PM

Is that your car?

Yes. This is the first car my Dad and I fixed up. I put the old Indy headed motor that used to be in my cuda into it. Just never completely finished it to race, but it does run and drive.

That hurts. I'm so sorry that happened.

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 02/28/22 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY

Is that your car?

That hurts. I'm so sorry that happened.

Darn right that hurts. Chip i HOPE that is the only car damage you received? Demon, and Cuda good?

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 02/28/22 08:52 PM

Thanks yall. It could have been a LOT worse. My dad's house wasn't damaged at all. His '69 road runner (the 4 speed 6 pack car) was parked at his house, so it is fine.
The cuda and the Demon were in the shop and they are perfectly fine...as is the shop. The fire burned around it...somehow.
We had 3 trailers all parked side by side, right beside the shop. My enclosed car trailer only had one tire damaged by fire, my open car trailer burned completely (all 4 tires burned to the rim, leaf springs flattened, deck plates buckled, etc.), and my dads smaller utility trailer suffered the same fate.
The '73 new yorker and the "old" '69 road runner were parked at the barn. The taillights will need replaced on both cars and the paint blistered on the road runner, but that's it.

Lawnmowers, three Honda 300 fourtrax 4 wheelers, and a bunch of car stuff got burnt up in the barn. Game room is a complete loss...pool table, weight set/workout equipment, more car stuff, etc.
My old Ford tractor and Case backhoe are fine. One front tire burnt up on the backhoe.

Luckily a family friend saw it and called me at work. I had that big Duramax running down the highway that afternoon! I work about 25 miles from home and I'm not sure how I didn't get a speeding ticket. I saw the smoke from about 8 miles away and my heart sank. You can't imagine the relief I felt when I saw the shop was ok.

Attached picture trailers.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3780.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3785.jpg
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 02/28/22 09:29 PM

[quote=an8sec70cuda]Thanks yall, I'll scrap them along w/ everything else. Fires suck.

Is that your car?

Yes. This is the first car my Dad and I fixed up. I put the old Indy headed motor that used to be in my cuda into it. Just never completely finished it to race, but it does run and drive. [/quote

Tell the insurance company they were both Windbergs
Posted By: dvw

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 02/28/22 11:55 PM

What started the fire?. Sorry there was stuff lost. Glad there was stuff that survived.
Doug
Posted By: gearhead01

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 03/01/22 01:52 AM

It does not take a lot of heat to warp a crank. I spun a rod bearing (#3) on my 440, which is close to the center main/thrust cap. Crank is discolored at this journal area.

In disassembling, there was a tight spot when rotating the crank. I pulled the center main cap, and the thrust bearing inserts. Tight spot when away.

I left the front and rear caps on, and put an indicator on the center crank journal. I had 0.010 run-out on the center journal.

I have not had it checked out yet, but my thought is it will probably take as much to fix it, than buy a new crank.

John

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 03/01/22 01:35 PM

B3422W5...LOL, it's a shame my "spare" aluminum block was right beside these cranks and melted! laugh

DVW...possibly from a battery tender that was on a lawnmower.

Gearhead...you're probably right. Cost prohibitive.
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 03/01/22 01:45 PM

Holy C Chip, I didn't realize this was your families property. Very sorry to hear and glad that some critical stuff suffered very little.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 03/01/22 02:45 PM

Chip I am so sorry for your misfortune....i hope no one was hurt. I wish i was closer and i could help out with any paint you going to need.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 03/01/22 04:00 PM

Awww. Chip..I am sorry to see this happen.. Good luck and thank goodness nobody was hurt..
Posted By: second 70

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 03/01/22 04:14 PM

Chip, Sorry for your loss and glad to hear no one was hurt. Mike
Posted By: Neil

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 03/01/22 04:39 PM

Sorry to see this.

Fires generally don't hurt cast iron blocks and heads. Cranks I don't know. Could be ok if you have someone look at them.
Posted By: LAD 524

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 03/01/22 11:26 PM

Damn Chip sorry to hear about that and what was lost.

That is one of my worst nightmare - a garage fire.

Glad your Dad/family are OK man.

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 03/02/22 04:33 PM

Thanks yall. No one was home at the time. Dad was at a doctors appointment and I was at work...my house is on the other side of the property.
Investigators came out yesterday and concluded the fire started in the gameroom...likely from the battery tender that was on the lawnmower parked under the lean-to.

So if any of you use a battery tender on anything, keep an eye on them. scope
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 03/02/22 05:48 PM

Sorry to hear about the damage but I guess it was just limited to the shop which is good. We had a house burned to the ground a number of years ago. Lost everything we owned. We were young and wife was in college at the time. I even got fired from my job for leaving work during my shift when my father in law called and told me the house was ablaze. Glad your damage was somewhat limited.
Posted By: jcastle1

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 03/05/22 12:05 AM

What kind of battery tender, if you don't mind me asking?

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 03/08/22 01:44 PM

Al...that's ridiculous they fired you for that!!!!

jcastle...it was from Autometer. Probably at least 10 years old.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 03/08/22 02:17 PM

Battery chargers and tenders scare me. Glad your loss was limited, that is scary stuff.

Really sorry about the pool table!
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 03/08/22 02:44 PM

Unbelievable. First Rhinodart loses his garage to a cordless drill battery and now you lose yours due to a battery tender. I'm seriously considering putting all of my cordless tool batteries in a fireproof paint locker when I'm not at the shop. Battery tender....don't know yet.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 03/08/22 03:27 PM

cHIP
I hate to see that.
A few stories of building fires in the last year. Now I am going to buy a bigger fire extinguisher for my garage/shop.

There may not be a way to know, but I doubt the battery tender alone caused the fire. Perhaps the wind or an animal knocked the clips off and gasoline fumes caught fire, then oil, etc.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 03/08/22 03:37 PM

Sorry Jim but a battery tender is known to cause fires. Had a friend's dad loose some cool old ford's to a garage fire caused by a tender. I'll never use one in my shop. I put a race car power switch on my junk and the battery never goes down
Posted By: jcastle1

Re: Burnt crankshaft - 03/09/22 01:20 AM

Thanks. Glad it wasn’t worse
© 2024 Moparts Forums