Moparts

Rear shocks

Posted By: dodgefarmer

Rear shocks - 02/09/22 07:33 PM

Looking for OEM application of SS rear shocks.

Thanks
Randy
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Rear shocks - 02/09/22 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by dodgefarmer
Looking for OEM application of SS rear shocks.

Thanks
Randy

Which year body?
I remember the Mopar drag seminars (in 1977 and 1979) recommending using the 1971 Imperial rear shocks on the old sets of SS drag leaf springs. That was before gas shocks had come out shruggy work
That was a long time ago and there are a lot better choices today, I've seen a lot of ET improvements with a good pair of adjustable rear drag shocks up scope
Posted By: GY3

Re: Rear shocks - 02/09/22 09:37 PM

I've always read station wagon and pickup truck applications.

Mainly for their length?

They made shock extensions for this reason, too.
Posted By: topside

Re: Rear shocks - 02/10/22 02:39 AM

Imperial - fuselage era - and I've also heard D100 pickups, but not sure which era.
Last time I bought some for a street deal was at O'Reilly's but they had them listed incorrectly.
We had to look up extended length to get the right ones, because their datbase was goofed up.
May have fixed that issue by now.
Posted By: Smoparmike

Re: Rear shocks - 02/10/22 03:11 PM

I used late 70's early 80's dodge truck shocks. Mostly for length but they are stiffer
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Rear shocks - 02/10/22 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Smoparmike
I used late 70's early 80's dodge truck shocks. Mostly for length but they are stiffer

This is what I use. Have used Monroe and Gabriel. Usually ask for a '79 1/2 ton.
Posted By: BigBlockGTS

Re: Rear shocks - 02/10/22 03:55 PM

How much more for the tried and true Rancho 9 way adjustables? I'm ridiculously nostalgic but shocks can really make or break a combo.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Rear shocks - 02/10/22 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by sixpakdodge
Originally Posted by Smoparmike

This is what I use. Have used Monroe and Gabriel. Usually ask for a '79 1/2 ton.

myself as well. my charger is nothing special, so i don't need special shocks, other than being a tad stiffer.
the car is about a +1 1/2" higher in the rear, so i unhooked the shocks and jacked the car up, letting the rear and springs hang free. i then measured the length between mounting points and added 1" or so to make sure the shock couldn't top out.
i ended up using the monroe heavy duty gas magnum 2. #34832 for 89-93 3/4 ton trucks.
14.750 compressed, 24.375 extended. these have the correct mounting eyes as the B-body. 1/2" steel bushing at the top, and the 11/16" rubber bushing on the bottom.
the imperial shocks are only 22.5 extended, 12.75 compressed.
[specs from my monroe master catalog. i measured the truck shocks i installed, and the measurements were spot on to what the catalog stated.]
beer
Posted By: dodgefarmer

Re: Rear shocks - 02/11/22 12:33 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated. The car is a buddies 68 340 Dart street car with Cal-Tracks. Not too concerned about time slips. Just trying to get a working suspension.

Thanks Again
Randy
Posted By: GY3

Re: Rear shocks - 02/11/22 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by dodgefarmer
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated. The car is a buddies 68 340 Dart street car with Cal-Tracks. Not too concerned about time slips. Just trying to get a working suspension.

Thanks Again
Randy

With Cal-Tracs you need an adjustable shock. The single adjustable Cal-Tracs shocks work (I've gone 1.36 60 ft. with them) but double adjustables are well worth the price.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Rear shocks - 02/12/22 03:59 PM

Something to consider;; if you buy enough shock to make things work in your current setup, you may need to upgrade sooner than you think. If you buy a good enough shock for a higher level of power, then you may save time and $$. I am on my fifth set, each an upgrade.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Rear shocks - 02/13/22 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by gregsdart
Something to consider;; if you buy enough shock to make things work in your current setup, you may need to upgrade sooner than you think. If you buy a good enough shock for a higher level of power, then you may save time and $$. I am on my fifth set, each an upgrade.

I learned this lesson on my manual trans, 4.10 geared, drag radial wearing big block street car. Slowing down the hit or chassis separation out of the hole finally led me through a series of rather pricey shocks until I ended up with a pretty stiffly valved, high quality double adjustable shock, which had to go back for revalving several times to boot. The car would literally let the rear tires jump off the ground when the suspension topped out on launch until I got the right shock in there.

The difference in how it rides and hooks up is remarkable with the right shocks, springs and traction devices in it. I have a lot of nearly new suspension components collecting dust in my basement as a result of the search for the holy grail of the proper balance of very good ride quality, effective traction and decent handling.

Attached picture IMG_0059~2.jpg
Posted By: Tig

Re: Rear shocks - 02/14/22 12:43 PM

What he said iagree
© 2024 Moparts Forums