Moparts

1968 Charger pass

Posted By: CSK

1968 Charger pass - 01/07/22 10:04 PM

well I finally made it to the track, SAME FRIGIN fuel pressure problem as before GERRRRRRR, BUT I pulled 3 wheelies LOL, MPH was down at least 4mph because of fuel pump problems, still ran a best of 10.93,,,,,,,,1.51 60 ft, also got to race a new Super Stock Challenger, he kicked my a$$

Attached picture 269819320_4775514652507206_8421647548221275267_n.jpg
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/07/22 10:07 PM

Nice going Charlie!!

First 10 in that thing?

What does the fuel pressure drop to?

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/07/22 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
Nice going Charlie!!

First 10 in that thing?

What does the fuel pressure drop to?

I cant duplicate it on the street, will post video & you can hear it, on the data log it spikes very fast through out the run from 20 psi back up to 50, in a 1 second veiw in the log it does it about 4 times Yes 1st 10 smile ,, and I remembered to shift LMAO

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/07/22 10:15 PM

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/07/22 10:46 PM

You can def hear it cutting out on the top end.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/07/22 11:05 PM

Congrats again. Car looks crazy cool now with the wing on it.
Was most of the improvement from 60 foot, or where did you pick up the most?

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/07/22 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
Congrats again. Car looks crazy cool now with the wing on it.
Was most of the improvement from 60 foot, or where did you pick up the most?

Thank you !!! , its hard to say, with the fuel pump issue , but I did leave at 3200 rpm foot brake this time, usually off idle or about 2k
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/08/22 12:36 AM

Great news on the 10! It looks cool with the injection stacks.

Can you log voltage to the pump? That might help narrow it down.

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/08/22 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
Great news on the 10! It looks cool with the injection stacks.

Can you log voltage to the pump? That might help narrow it down.

I will do that 1st, BUT I rewired it after the last time with a HD relay now in the trunk, its just hard to test on the streets now that my Used to be small town has exploded & is now basically Houston. traffic is REALY bad now.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/08/22 11:03 AM

Congrats on the new best! That is always a good feeling, especially when breaking a barrier like 11.00.

What is your fuel tank vent setup like? I wonder if you have a problem there under max demand(like high gear on a dragstrip lol). Just a though!

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/08/22 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish
Congrats on the new best! That is always a good feeling, especially when breaking a barrier like 11.00.

What is your fuel tank vent setup like? I wonder if you have a problem there under max demand(like high gear on a dragstrip lol). Just a though!

I had thought that from before & put a 3/8 vent tube, thanks for the suggestion
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/08/22 05:44 PM

Congrats! There's more in it for sure because to me it's laying down more than just near the end based on sound. Again congrats!
Posted By: moparx

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/08/22 07:52 PM

way to go ! up boogie bow
as others have said, there is more in it for sure, after you get the fuel issue sorted.
and the wheelie pic is FANTASTIC ! punkrocka
beer
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/09/22 03:38 PM

I love the launch pic! Car definitely not happy on the back half, though.

How fast was the Super Stock Challenger?

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/09/22 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Brad_Haak
I love the launch pic! Car definitely not happy on the back half, though.

How fast was the Super Stock Challenger?

Thanks guys for the positive responses, even with all the problems I have had with this car this day made me VERY happy & felt it has all been worth it, did I tell Y'all I remembered to shift LOL !!!! smile That pass was a 10.20ish, 1st time out for it, later ran 10.teens, with worse air. it pulled the wheels also

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/24/22 02:58 PM

I was sent another picture, Had to share with Y'all, it made all the work on my street car worth it, puts a big ole smile on my face even though I still have the fuel pump issue

Attached picture Charger5.jpg
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/24/22 03:07 PM

Looks like that engine is hard against the retaining strap!!LOL

Joe

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/24/22 03:38 PM

Awesome pic!! up

Is the point where the engine starts to have the misfire issue the highest rpm on track to that point?
And what is the rpm where it starts acting up?

I’m just wondering if it’s possibly a valvetrain issue, and the fluctuating fuel pressure is just a by product of the EFI chasing the fuel curve around after the valvetrain gets unhappy.

What I think/recall you had for springs and RR seemed to me like it might be on the edge for high rpm control considering the weight of the lifters.

To test it, you would see if you could duplicate the misfire in 2nd gear, and if it does....... see if shifting into 3rd made the misfire go away.

Just spitballing....... since the fuel system work has to this point been unsuccessful.
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/24/22 03:49 PM

Awesome picture, Charlie.

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/24/22 04:37 PM

Awesome pic!! up

Is the point where the engine starts to have the misfire issue the highest rpm on track to that point?
And what is the rpm where it starts acting up?

I’m just wondering if it’s possibly a valvetrain issue, and the fluctuating fuel pressure is just a by product of the EFI chasing the fuel curve around after the valvetrain gets unhappy.

What I think/recall you had for springs and RR seemed to me like it might be on the edge for high rpm control considering the weight of the lifters.

To test it, you would see if you could duplicate the misfire in 2nd gear, and if it does....... see if shifting into 3rd made the misfire go away.

Just spitballing....... since the fuel system work has to this point been unsuccessful.

It might have a spring issue also, BUT on the data log the fuel pressure problem starts right away, I can feel it laying down & then pick back up through the intire run, it starts banging in high gear at about 5500 rpm, but it will pull 6300 rpm in 1st & second without banging BUT I can feel it surging as the pressure comes & goes in 1st & second , that said I do think my springs are going away like you said.

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/24/22 04:42 PM

This is what I have

Attached picture Screenshot (6).png

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/24/22 04:53 PM

That’s what I thought you had.

1.6 rockers?

I guess you could pull off a couple intake springs and have them tested.

Personally, I’d like to see more open load....... especially since with the lifters you have, and the way you have them set up, there is no worry about bleed down.

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/24/22 05:00 PM

That’s what I thought you had.

1.6 rockers?

I guess you could pull off a couple intake springs and have them tested.

Personally, I’d like to see more open load....... especially since with the lifters you have, and the way you have them set up, there is no worry about bleed down.

I really need to freshen up the engine, BUT if I do that I think its time for an aftermarket block, would like an alum low deck, its all about the lack of money & not sure I could physically do all that by myself anymore, if I take it apart will it EVER run again LOL smile

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/24/22 05:03 PM

on the springs I agree 100%, I was looking at the conical springs with more rate & seat pressure , yes 1.6 T&D

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/24/22 06:03 PM

SUPER picture ! up bow
i wish mine could do that, but i know it will never happen.
beer
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/25/22 03:12 PM

Nice car, check fuel cell Vent
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 01/25/22 05:14 PM

maybe its the 4 turns of lifter preload you run..... whistling I my experience if you want a hydraulic to rpm, you run as little preload your ears can stand.

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 02/14/22 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by B1MAXX
maybe its the 4 turns of lifter preload you run..... whistling I my experience if you want a hydraulic to rpm, you run as little preload your ears can stand.

The lifters are made to be run like I have them, if you have .020 or .070 preload & the valve springs are to weak the lifter will still pump up & hold the valves open, the problems I have start at below 5500 rpm in HIGH gear and fuel pressure drops off & on, it is NOT because of my lifter preload, running them loose so it will RPM is just a bandaid for the wrong valve springs.
That said I pulled the fuel pump & found nothing wrong with the wiring or pump, went ahead & got a larger volume pump & drilled out the sending unit pump line connection as it was much smaller id than -6 should be at the recommendation of Member INTDM8 as he was correct on that info for the Tanks Inc set up,I also was using a stock 3/8 steel line that has all the tight bends in it, I already had some new -6 efi hose so I replaced the factory steel line with it so no more bent up steel tubing,did a volume test @ 50 psi & it flows about 120 GPH now @ 12volts ,will make it back to a track rental soon.

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 02/14/22 05:31 PM

will be waiting to see the results. up
beer
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: 1968 Charger pass - 02/14/22 05:38 PM

/\ x2
Just my opinion. up A liquid hydrauliced doesn't know/care how stiff the spring is. But it's all good. We've got different opinions.
© 2024 Moparts Forums