Moparts

Valve Spring shims : Are they Ok to use?

Posted By: ragtop

Valve Spring shims : Are they Ok to use? - 01/04/22 02:27 AM

I have hardened valve spring shims that I would like to use on stock 340 heads and springs. I know to put them on the Head side, not the retainer side. My question is, has anyone ever had these shims get pounded out over time, buy the spring? Thanks.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Valve Spring shims : Are they Ok to use? - 01/04/22 02:40 AM

Every shim I buy for every head is a hardened shim. I refuse to use the cheapies. Any shim will wear over time but the hardened ones hold up well
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Valve Spring shims : Are they Ok to use? - 01/05/22 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Every shim I buy for every head is a hardened shim. I refuse to use the cheapies. Any shim will wear over time but the hardened ones hold up well
iagree up
i have used standard shims mixed with the tool steel shims and I make sure the harden tool steel, spring steel shims, are installed next to the springs up scope
Posted By: jwb123

Re: Valve Spring shims : Are they Ok to use? - 01/05/22 04:25 AM

the main issue it that the shim fits snuggly on the valve guide boss, so they don't slide around. I have never seen one fail if it fits the guide boss correctly. I use common spring shims made for engines that have one side with ridges, that helps them from rotating on the spring pad. Available at any source for engine parts. I buy a lot from Goodson tools.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Valve Spring shims : Are they Ok to use? - 01/05/22 05:18 PM

Depending on what you have and trying to accomplish, in some cases you can make adjustments to spring installed height & pressures using +.050" or -.050" locks and/or retainers.
© 2024 Moparts Forums