Moparts

Track Day Tuning With Caltracs

Posted By: moparniac

Track Day Tuning With Caltracs - 04/09/09 11:46 AM

When i do get to the track and if the track isnt prepped well should I turn the ranchos down.... I am gonna start on 9 cause thats where a9sec70cuda has his 3800lb ebody at... but lets say turning them to 5 will help the rear squat more right.. also suspension is set for starters at 1 flat preload on dr side and 1 1/2 on pass side...

Now when I launch and the car kicks left lets say which caltrac bar do I adjust to straightened car out First time using caltracs... thx

Thx as always

Oh yea.... Im gonna try the ET street radials out first but I do have slicks.....
Posted By: cudabunch

Re: Track Day Tuning With Caltracs - 04/09/09 02:10 PM

I would start out with 5 on the rear if this is your first time and see if the tire is going to hook.Yes adjusting the bars will pull the car left or right, but take someone with you so they can adjust with you in the seat.Once you get the car in the air and if its going to high adjust the front shocks to slow the front end down and that should give you the best 60 foot times.If you dont have front adjustables,try more air in the rear to spin them to slow down the front end.

Re: Track Day Tuning With Caltracs - 04/09/09 03:02 PM

thx. all advice is helpful and appreciated.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Track Day Tuning With Caltracs - 04/09/09 03:47 PM

FWIW, here's the suspension setup on my Challenger:
- 6-cylinder torsion bars
- Upper control arm bumpers cut down
- Front suspension set up for approx. 5 1/4" extension from static ride height
- QA1 R-series front shocks
- Front shocks on 1 of 12 (lightest extension setting; fixed firm compression damping)
- CalTrac split monos w/ 20" A-body front segment & stock ride height
- CalTrac bars for 20" A-body front segment
- AR Engineering front spring hangers for SS springs
- Rancho 5-way adjustable shocks (#9116)
- Rear shocks on 3 of 5 (middle extension setting)
- Pinion angle 3.5 degrees
- Link bar in lower hole
- 1/4 turn preload on driver side; 1/3 additional turn preload on passenger side

Re: Track Day Tuning With Caltracs - 04/09/09 04:22 PM

Thx brad........ Ive only been to 1 track so I dont know how to compare it to other tracks..... I have calvert front 90/10's and .960 bars....

Posted By: Tig

Re: Track Day Tuning With Caltracs - 04/10/09 09:45 AM

Don't forget the front end, achieving over 5 inches of upward travel had the most effect on my set up.

PS. As far as I'm aware (on our combo anyway) the rancho shocks only adjust extention damping. The higher the number means less rear rise. On our combo to get more squat we loosen the front extention which = more/earlier weight transfer. IMHO the front end is at least just as important as the rear on a Caltrac set up.
If you can get it, the rear end likes to sit low.
HTH's
PPS I've remembered that a stiff sidewall or radial slick works well too. If I remeber rightly a member on here made big improvements going from a bias slick to a drag radial. Those bars can hit hard. Have fun
© 2024 Moparts Forums