Moparts

Converter sprag question .

Posted By: tex013

Converter sprag question . - 10/25/21 08:57 PM

Hi all ,
just another thinking out loud question regards converters .
When using a mechanical diode/sprag has anyone noticed any difference to regular sprags ?
I know the mechanical is considered stronger, almost unbreakable .
Street/strip usage , transbrake .

Tex
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Converter sprag question . - 10/26/21 12:19 PM

My cuda used to kill a "super" sprag every 100 runs or so. Went to a mechanical diode and no more problems.
Last converter I had done we went spragless. Used to be that the spragless converters would slip a lot up top, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
Posted By: cl440

Re: Converter sprag question . - 10/26/21 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
My cuda used to kill a "super" sprag every 100 runs or so. Went to a mechanical diode and no more problems.
Last converter I had done we went spragless. Used to be that the spragless converters would slip a lot up top, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

We were chasing an issue with the car a few years ago. Inconsistent ET's and reaction times. Lost MPH etc..... We changed ignitions, fuel pumps etc..... Finally we started to look at the symptoms of a failing sprag in the converter. Called Transmission specialties and discussed it with them. They convinced me to buy one of there super 8 9" spragless converters........One of the best purchases I have ever made! ET, MPH, Consistency all came back!

Re: Converter sprag question . - 10/26/21 08:58 PM

thanks guys ,
i had been having 60 move around which is why i pulled trans . Only just got it back in last week . When i sent converter back to USA for service it came back with a mech diode and pretty much everything replaced but no explanation . There was some metal in pan , trans builder said it came from converter as rest of trans was good apart from wear on stator support (?) splines .
If it picks up to the 60 i expect i should see better ET maybe a pinch of MPH if sprag was slipping

Tex
Posted By: 67mprfan

Re: Converter sprag question . - 10/27/21 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by tex013
thanks guys ,
iThere was some metal in pan , trans builder said it came from converter as rest of trans was good apart from wear on stator support (?) splines .

Tex

I just went through this metal went through the whole transmission but inside was good, snap ring broke in the converter and destroy it . I have a new converter(actually2 now) and the 1 in the car has a mechanical diode seat of the pants feels great

Re: Converter sprag question . - 10/27/21 03:45 AM

[ [/quote]
I just went through this metal went through the whole transmission but inside was good, snap ring broke in the converter and destroy it . I have a new converter(actually2 now) and the 1 in the car has a mechanical diode seat of the pants feels great [/quote]

Converter was 5700 then with engine top end change 6000 .
Explained this also and had it tightened back towards the 5700 . Definately feels better on street , firmer/tighter like my 5000 vert in spare trans . Now all i need is the sanction legal BS to be done locally so we can get back on track .

Tex
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Converter sprag question . - 10/27/21 06:44 AM

Any time slips to look at yet?
If so what are the 60 ft. times now compare to before?

Re: Converter sprag question . - 10/27/21 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Any time slips to look at yet?
If so what are the 60 ft. times now compare to before?

Cab , there is legal argy bargy going on over track sanction now , after 3 1/2 months closed . I kind of doubt any passes here in Sydney till end of year at earliest fan . I am racing interstate in December so its a long wait to know and 13/14 hour drive to get there.

Tex
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Converter sprag question . - 10/30/21 10:01 PM

Bracket guys like the spragless deal I'm guessing since consistency is paramount. Conventional sprags change as they wear, fluid viscosity ect. The old diode is a ratchet so they're the same even when you screw up a couple elements. I run 9 elements in most, and you can take them apart and inspect them
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Converter sprag question . - 10/31/21 01:47 AM

I don't really know the answer to your question.
But when I built a PG for my "new" Daytona, I asked Ultimate Converter Concepts to use a mechanical diode (and a Turbo style converter).
Here is a picture from the World Wide Web (www) showing different versions of mechanical diodes.

Attached picture Mechanical_Diodes.JPG

Re: Converter sprag question . - 10/31/21 09:07 AM

Well looks like t&t this friday weather permitting .
Sanction body ok'd by state govt , own track , legal argy bargy in court same day .
Crossing my fingers though sure to be a bunfight due to lack of racing , i hope there is a number limit , and as usual the hero time trialists .
I want to try leaving a little lower rpm .

Tex
© 2024 Moparts Forums