Moparts

Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars?

Posted By: Quicksilver440

Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 12:21 AM

You see carbs sealed to hoods...but almost never a remote cold air box on a carb (when you have no scoop)...why is this? You see them all the time on fuel injected cars.

I know 600 hp LS1 based cars that run these setups...but wouldn't you think stock hooded carb'd cars would benefit from the same setup?

I know they arn't pretty...but if it's functional in acarb'd situation....it would be worth running to me. Would the cooling effect of the atomizing fuel in a carb'd application make this less effective than in a dry intake fuel injected application?

What do you think?
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 03:01 AM

welcome back, we will look foward to reading your testing results regarding this matter

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 03:13 AM

Quote:

welcome back, we will look foward to reading your testing results regarding this matter

Thank you... Every few years I get so wrapped up in my other hobby (firearms and hunting) that I take a break from the car. But I'm trying to get motivated again...lol.
Posted By: G_bob

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 03:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you... Every few years I get so wrapped up in my other hobby (firearms and hunting) that I take a break from the car. But I'm trying to get motivated again...lol.

Hey Rob, how's this for motivation....

10.21 @ 132..... IN VEGAS.

Posted By: topfueldart

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 03:17 AM

IMHO, I dont think it will help ET wise... unless its ducted directly to fresh air off the front of the car. Even then it will probably be minimal..
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 03:17 AM

Quote:

You see carbs sealed to hoods...but almost never a remote cold air box on a carb (when you have no scoop)...why is this? You see them all the time on fuel injected cars.

I know 600 hp LS1 based cars that run these setups...but wouldn't you think stock hooded carb'd cars would benefit from the same setup?

I know they arn't pretty...but if it's functional in acarb'd situation....it would be worth running to me. Would the cooling effect of the atomizing fuel in a carb'd application make this less effective than in a dry intake fuel injected application?

What do you think?

We use to have it on cop cars
Posted By: 67Charger

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 03:19 AM

Hey Rob... I guess we have more in common than I thought. I have the same hobbies and tend to go towards one or the other, rarely both. You've got some catching up to do... The Charger went 11.4 at Infineon, and since then I've upgraded to real slicks, Cal-tracs and now an 8" converter. Can you say 11.2?

I've been wanting to funnel cold air in from under the car or in the grille area for some time now, just haven't fabbed anything yet.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 04:05 AM

rvoyles, the main reason they run the boxes and ducting(in my opinion)is packaging and fitment and of course some modern cars don`t have scoops so it`s the only logical solution. And being computer controlled, they need to put the mas airflow sensors in the ducting to read incoming air and adjust acordingly.
Posted By: dave571

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 04:33 AM

I've made cold air intake tubes on my motor home. It's a carbed 440. I did find it helped economy. Not sure on power.

I think it is definately a good idea on a non scooped car.
Posted By: 68Fastback

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 04:50 AM

Seen this on Two Guys Garage today, they worked on the Chevy truck. Looked pretty interesting how it was plumbed.

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 05:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Rob, how's this for motivation....

10.21 @ 132..... IN VEGAS.

Aww man...I've got my work cut out for me to catch up with you and Dan... Which means more $$$. Of course, going to the track more than once a year would help too..lol

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 05:31 AM

Quote:

IMHO, I dont think it will help ET wise... unless its ducted directly to fresh air off the front of the car. Even then it will probably be minimal..

yeah...thats what I'm wondering...it would have to come off the front of the car to have a chance at helping anything.

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 05:33 AM

Quote:

rvoyles, the main reason they run the boxes and ducting(in my opinion)is packaging and fitment and of course some modern cars don`t have scoops so it`s the only logical solution. And being computer controlled, they need to put the mas airflow sensors in the ducting to read incoming air and adjust acordingly.

You are probably correct there....it only makes sense for them to do it this way.

But what about the old musclecars like Ford thunderbolts, etc with Ram air boxes and hoses running to the front of the car?

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 05:40 AM

Quote:

Hey Rob... I guess we have more in common than I thought. I have the same hobbies and tend to go towards one or the other, rarely both. You've got some catching up to do... The Charger went 11.4 at Infineon, and since then I've upgraded to real slicks, Cal-tracs and now an 8" converter. Can you say 11.2?

I've been wanting to funnel cold air in from under the car or in the grille area for some time now, just haven't fabbed anything yet.

Your killing me....lol. I have trouble focusing on both hobbies at once....I think my car may actually be the cheaper hobby...lol (not really).

I need to get my act together and get to the track while it's still cool out....I havn't started my car since last april or may....

...I may try one.
Posted By: 67Charger

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 06:00 AM

To be honest, lately the car HAS been the cheaper hobby. stocking up "just in case" has been misery on my hobby fundage. I actually got back into the Charger for some $$$ releif.

Fontana should be rather educational. Brian (OU812) swears up and down the first step towards getting my car to reach 10.999999999 is an 8" converter, followed later by some head work and when I get the $$$ a roller cam. The car was begging to leave harder, but my converter said no.

If I had just 1/2" to spare, I'd slip my nitrous plate on there and play in the mid 10's...

maybe I should drop off my super restrictive $19 Summit mufflers and just let it breathe...

I wonder if I could pull air OVER the core support with a wide funnel...
Posted By: 68Fastback

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 07:55 AM

On the show today they used a 4" hole saw and put an air horn with a K&N filter in the core supprt
Posted By: wildcargo

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 11:53 AM

I have an air box and 2, 4 1/2" inlets when 1 of the tubes comes off I slow a tenth, I have never had bouth come off so

Attached picture 5152953-10.08A.JPG
Posted By: actionange

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 12:23 PM

Here's the setup on my old car

Attached picture 5152989-Image004.jpg
Posted By: patrick

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 12:25 PM

the biggest reason you see it more on newer EFI cars and not so much on older iron is packaging--efi cars typically have a side-mounted throttle body at the end of a manifold, vs. a carbed car where it sits on top. and once you get into taller aftermarket intakes on a carbed car, you start running out of room real quick with a flat hood....but I think the results would be similar to running a scoop. biggest thing would be making sure the carb hat is designed to maximize flow, as it has the downside vs. a hood scoop in that it requires the air to make a pretty drastic turn into the top of the carb, vs a straighter shot with a top mounted scoop.
Posted By: Dabee

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 02:16 PM

I had the same Idea for the 511 ci wedge going in my Super Bee. I have limited hood space with the big Indy single plane intake I’m using. I called K&N and talked to one of their tech guys to see if they had the components to rig up one of their tapered filters to work on my car. He told me the bonnet restricts air volume above the carb. He said the carb mounted air cleaners provide the volume needed for big cub engines. Kind of like the plenum volume in an intake.
Posted By: patrick

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 03:26 PM

if you did it, I'd use one of these:

http://www.ramairbox.com/
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 03:48 PM

rvoyles, After reading my response I realized I didn`t answer your question. The ducting you are talking about has to work better than a plain ol air cleaner suckin hot engine heat but probably not as good as a sealed scoop+ they look horrible to me. Get a glass hood, paint it body color and scoop it and enjoy your new found power.

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 07:57 PM

Quote:

if you did it, I'd use one of these:

http://www.ramairbox.com/

I bid on one of those last night on ebag....I wasn't the high bidder though. I still have the Battery up front so I'm not 100% sure if I can route both hoses to the cowl. I guess I could try and use one big hose like the old Camaros did (I think it was a Camaro). It would likely flow better that way too.

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 07:57 PM

Quote:

I have an air box and 2, 4 1/2" inlets when 1 of the tubes comes off I slow a tenth, I have never had bouth come off so

got a pic? Sounds like it did work....

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/09/09 11:39 PM

Quote:

rvoyles, After reading my response I realized I didn`t answer your question. The ducting you are talking about has to work better than a plain ol air cleaner suckin hot engine heat but probably not as good as a sealed scoop+ they look horrible to me. Get a glass hood, paint it body color and scoop it and enjoy your new found power.

I could...but I really like my Glass (AAR fiberglass) rallye hood. I wouldn't mind making the scoops functional.....it wouldn't have a scoop affect...but it should at least provide cold air.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Why no remote cold air boxes on Carb'd cars? - 04/10/09 03:30 AM

put the cool box on the ouside of the car

Attached picture 5154806-car3007.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums