Moparts

Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads.......

Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 12:14 AM

Here are some pics of my 15° W2 heads for a 48° lifter bore block.
I'm using an early R1 48° block. Going to be a nice little 360, all iron I guess to be different
Flow #'s to follow.
I think the 15° valve angle would work better if the port was raised more. But they work good enough for what I want out of the engine.

Chamber will be 48cc when finished.
Brian

Attached picture 5151833-w2heads001.jpg

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 12:15 AM

Intake on the head after flowing.

Attached picture 5151840-w2heads002.jpg

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 12:15 AM

One side of chamber:

Attached picture 5151842-w2heads010.jpg

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 12:16 AM

Other side of chamber:

Attached picture 5151845-w2heads009.jpg

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 12:16 AM

Exhaust port:

Attached picture 5151846-w2heads005.jpg

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 12:17 AM

You can see the ex. ports don't need to be huge to flow well:

Attached picture 5151847-w2heads006.jpg

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 12:17 AM

Difference between ported intake port and OOTB:

Attached picture 5151850-w2heads007.jpg

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 12:22 AM

And....flow #'s.

2.08 intake x 1.60 exhaust
28" 4.030 bore

Lift Int. Ex.
200 145 108
300 218 158
400 261 206
500 295 229
600 316 240
700 327 240

Just some pics for fun. I'll post more pics of the build as things get done. Block is done except for drilling the lifter bores.
Crank is balanced, etc....
Think I have my engine sold, so hopefully I'll have this in by the end of summer!
Brian
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 12:33 AM

Did you use templates? If so do you have any you could loan me?

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 12:38 AM

Quote:

Did you use templates? If so do you have any you could loan me?

Uh....this goes waaaaay beyond templates...LOL!
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 01:11 AM

Quote:

I should have flowed it on a 4.250 bore

I got it.

Posted By: hilbillyconquest

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 01:18 AM

cool pics brian, i will look forward to see how much power it makes and how fast it runs.
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 01:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I should have flowed it on a 4.250 bore

I got it.

Finally,an inside joke that I get !!!!
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 03:04 AM

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 03:36 AM

Actually I wasn't joking, a buddy of mine bought a set of heads just like yours and is looking for some help in doing a home port job, he's asked me for help (templates) if they exist? At any rate, the 4.25 bore/flow deal went right over my head as well, please enlighten me?

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 04:05 AM

Quote:

Actually I wasn't joking, a buddy of mine bought a set of heads just like yours and is looking for some help in doing a home port job, he's asked me for help (templates) if they exist? At any rate, the 4.25 bore/flow deal went right over my head as well, please enlighten me?

I figured you were joking, cause template porting won't get you anywhere close to this kind of flow.
Anyhow, if they are the 15° head, I would leave the 2.02 valve for now, and do some chamber work around the valves and a good 4 angle valve job.
Use a nice fat 30° back cut on the intake valve and call it good.
Look at the pics closely, you'll see there is a ton of work in the intake ports that I did.
Plus, alot of sb's will not want this size of port.
You can also slim down the guide boss some...
Brian

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 04:21 AM

That's cool, I'm not a head porter so don't have much of a clue, but to my credit didn't expect to reach those numbers with simple porting templates either Just looking to give my buddy something of a guideline so he doesn't make an expensive mistake. Thanks for the suggestions.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 04:23 AM

I actually have a set of the old w2 templates...
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 04:40 AM

looks well......yummy, no wonder you get such good #'s, i look at those ports and i look at my eddys and no wonder im hy heads are lacking

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 04:49 AM

Let me take a stab at the 4.25 joke....It's because your heads flow like a decent set of big block heads

*If you do have the templates that would be cool
Posted By: CRIKEY

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 12:49 PM

Is the floor at the entrance flat there Brian or a little scooped out, as it were?
Also is that INT valve guide boss square??

any numbers you will share
MCSA?
ST speed?
throat %

cheers
Posted By: RyanJ

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... *DELETED* - 04/09/09 01:31 PM

Post deleted by RyanJ
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 01:44 PM

Thats 20cfm more than my old set, I have a new set of
W-2s that I will play with .... later on. Looks good

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 03:04 PM

Quote:

Brian, That 360-3 Manifold will be the last INDY part you'll be buying through me. I "got" it too..

You have a PM. So what the hell is everyone "getting"??
Is it me, or is this getting thrown waaaaaay out in left field??

That 4.250 bore crack was aimed as a joke conscerning porting templates, and as you can see by the pics, I went way beyond that.
I figured scottsmith harms was just joshin' me and so I figured why not "josh" him back.
As I see, he wasn't joking....so???

You know it's funny on here, when I think guys are serious, they aren't and just the opposite, when I think guys are kidding, they aren't!!

Anyone else have this happen? I can't be the only one????
So anyone care to share the "inside joke" with me??????????
Cause you guys got me on this one...and now it seems others are disturbed by it. Ofcourse.
Maybe this is why so many of the engine builders/machinists have left here because of crap like this!

Maybe the MODS should just scrap this post...

Brian
Posted By: DRDart

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 03:11 PM

I don't get but it might just be age setting in
Posted By: 6bblRoadrunner

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 03:30 PM

Brian...those heads look awesome! What's the flow increase over what you've been running? If you don't mind me asking...what headers will you be running?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 03:40 PM

Quote:

That's cool, I'm not a head porter so don't have much of a clue, but to my credit didn't expect to reach those numbers with simple porting templates either Just looking to give my buddy something of a guideline so he doesn't make an expensive mistake. Thanks for the suggestions.

I think the best guideline to give your buddy is to send his heads to Brian or some other professional head porter that has a good reputation for results on those type heads. As he indicated it is very easy to grind a good head into being a bad head BTW, don't ask me how I know about results from home porting
Posted By: RyanJ

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 03:41 PM

Don't worry about it Brian. you have some PM's

BTW that is a pile of iron to move on a W2 intake port, looks good, now you have to finish the other 7.... 1 port is always fun to do, it's the last 7 that suck

They should run real well, I really like that 47 CC chamber in those heads, excellent shape to it & depth. The 55 & 65 CC Closed chamber 18* stuff is an OK chamber shape but way too DEEP, the 47 is real nice depth & overall shape, much better on the plug side wall than the 18* stuff.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 04:06 PM

I hear ya Brian and that`s part of the reason I only respond to certain posts and havn`t posted myself. After Mr. Chris C ran his mouth and PRETENDED to be a tough guy on hear and call me out only to hide and not return my call,it changed my "trust factor"on here. I don`t like people very much and crap like this confirms my "aggressive" approach to certain BS. Nice porting by the way.

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 04:24 PM

Quote:

Brian...those heads look awesome! What's the flow increase over what you've been running? If you don't mind me asking...what headers will you be running?

My current pig only has a solid FT cam. So I'm only lifting the valve .580 off the seat. So I'm accessing around 260cfm now.
The new engine will have .750 at the valve, so I'll access around 300-310cfm.

This is with the intake manifold+carb on.

If this head had the intake port raised another .500, and the roofs were taller and valves longer, I'd say the 15° valve angle would really shine!!
But your right Ryan, the chamber is far superiour to ANY other cast iron W2 head out there.

Tony: Port speed at .650 lift (where the engine will access flow) was average 285fps. from flange to bowl.
MCA is 2.625.
Throat is 90.5% on intake.

I have 3 ports done on that head, one more and that head is done. Each intake port takes almost 3 hours of work!
Luckily the exhaust ports don't take nearly as much time!!

Thumperdart: Are you going to Fontana's bracket race the 25th???
Brian
Posted By: 11secaarcuda

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 04:37 PM

Quote:

I actually have a set of the old w2 templates...

How much do the porting templates help flow vs. an as cast head?

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 04:40 PM

Quote:

I think the best guideline to give your buddy is to send his heads to Brian or some other professional head porter that has a good reputation for results on those type heads. As he indicated it is very easy to grind a good head into being a bad head BTW, don't ask me how I know about results from home porting

Well that's what I did myself (sent them out) and also reccomended to him already. He prefers to do things himself and learn in the process (mistakes being accepted as paying his dues). Frankly I don't see it as a big deal as long as he accepts all possibilities going in, afterall, even the best porters out there had to do thier "first" set.

Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 04:55 PM

"I got it" the first time Brian. I'm glad everyone worked it out so, this post stays alive. That is in-line with some of the best W-2's I have seen. You do some nice work!
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 06:51 PM

Wow, very impressive! I wish I would have made time at MATS to visit with you. Your car looked good.

Attached picture 5153623-JZ_Dean-TM.jpg
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 09:45 PM

Quote:

Well that's what I did myself (sent them out) and also reccomended to him already. He prefers to do things himself and learn in the process (mistakes being accepted as paying his dues). Frankly I don't see it as a big deal as long as he accepts all possibilities going in, afterall, even the best porters out there had to do thier "first" set.

You know, I have to say that I am absolutely fascinated by cylinder heads. Port shape, port speed, mach index, CSA, the fluid dynamics part of it, etc...all really interests me. But what I figured out pretty quick is that even though I'm very interested in it, I don't have the time or practice to be good at it.

What's the chances that the first set of W9's I port will be nearly as good as someone like RyanJ who has probably ported 50 sets of them?

Too expensive and HP dependent of a part for me to "learn on". I'll do machine work, trans builds, rear gear setups, etc... but when it comes to heads, you couldn't spend your money any better then to send it to someone who really knows what they are doing.

My ...

Nice work Brian. By the way I find it funny that the guy who finally came up with a good 59 degree roller lifter still has a flat tappet cam
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 09:51 PM

No I wont be racing(t&t`n)for a long time.....I got my 9 and that`s all I really cared about +I don`t bracket race as I suck on the tree and am just not into it. I need to make a few changes to the car and after summer maybe I`ll t&t again. Have fun and good luck.

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 10:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You know, I have to say that I am absolutely fascinated by cylinder heads. Port shape, port speed, mach index, CSA, the fluid dynamics part of it, etc...all really interests me. But what I figured out pretty quick is that even though I'm very interested in it, I don't have the time or practice to be good at it.

What's the chances that the first set of W9's I port will be nearly as good as someone like RyanJ who has probably ported 50 sets of them?

Too expensive and HP dependent of a part for me to "learn on". I'll do machine work, trans builds, rear gear setups, etc... but when it comes to heads, you couldn't spend your money any better then to send it to someone who really knows what they are doing.

My ...

Nice work Brian. By the way I find it funny that the guy who finally came up with a good 59 degree roller lifter still has a flat tappet cam

Yeah...LOL! I get that sometimes.
I had just freshened my engine when we were starting the design phase of those lifters. Plus to change to a roller, I would have had to go with different rockers and I just didn't want to throw more $$$ at my current engine because of the new engine sitting around the shop in pieces.

My engine is for sale by the way...made 560HP, econo W2's etc....
The new 360 should be on the dyno maybe mid May...
unless I win some $$$ the 25th at Fontana...but I won't be holding my breath! LOL!!

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/09/09 11:48 PM

Quote:

Slim to none is the answer, but he's not a total rookie, he's ported a few sets of J heads and 906's, just no W2's
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/10/09 12:31 AM

Quote:

Difference between ported intake port and OOTB:

Wow , hope your shop has lots of air pressure and a chair! Nice work
Posted By: Gavin

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/12/09 09:24 PM

Scott, Nov 2001 Mopar muscle had an article on porting W2's (IIRC written by Dulcich, and yielded over 300cfm), you could point your friend in that direction, might give him some handy info.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/12/09 10:01 PM

Id love to build a small block with a set of those heads...oops did I say that out loud..

Good info here
There seems to be some many versions on the W2 series head though, and not much info about them, I mean they all seem to carry similar parts numbers. I have seen some good deals at the swap meet, but don't know crap about the head.

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/12/09 11:10 PM

Quote:

Scott, Nov 2001 Mopar muscle had an article on porting W2's (IIRC written by Dulcich, and yielded over 300cfm), you could point your friend in that direction, might give him some handy info.

Thank you Gavin

*Any links? I can't find it on thier site
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/13/09 01:00 AM

I wish you were closer, id like to see what these run on your bench, they are one race set petty ent. 1976 W2-s, an old wise W2 fella told me these were sold and used by petty ent. but were farmed out to crane at the time for the port work.?????

With 2.06`s they were a hair over 300 on one bench and the ports all seem too equal to of been done by hand.

Id like to get a valve job done on these, if you have time let me know please..im serious.

If you like to play with heads these are some very diff, old school heads.

Attached picture 5160662-DSC07200.JPG
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/13/09 01:02 AM

Maybe you can explain these stampings...both heads have the same.....I sent you an email...

Attached picture 5160668-DSC07203.JPG

Re: Some pics of my ported 15° W2 heads....... - 04/13/09 04:51 PM

All you have to do is box them up and ship to address on my website.
PM for pricing. W2's have a nice bit of history behind them, very cool stuff!!

As always, these heads are being ported and worked for my application. I've done a bunch of W2's that had much smaller ports for various reasons.

MP should just do these in aluminum and be done. But....???????
Brian
© 2024 Moparts Forums