Moparts

How big can you go with after market block?

Posted By: Dragula

How big can you go with after market block? - 07/30/21 05:36 PM

Saw an article the other day, and the guy had a 636 Hemi, Indy block I believe....I thought 605 or so was it, but I guess not. Is that a raised cam and a 5" stroke?
Posted By: Tig

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 07/30/21 05:43 PM

655 ci. 4.840 B/S 4.56 bore x 5 stroke. up

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 07/30/21 06:41 PM

I feel small.....Standard Chevy now is 632....We Mopar folks need a bigger platform.....

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 07/30/21 06:53 PM

4.90" or 5.00" B/S on a Hemi 99. Not sure of Deck height though ??

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 07/30/21 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tig

Yes Todd Goodwin makes those...I have seen those at nearly 700 cubes. And I know there was one by a member on here for sale on RJ...$43k...Looked awesome. Would love to know more about them.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 07/30/21 07:17 PM

When you replace the block, crank, cam, heads, manifold, pan...

what part is still MoPar?

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 07/30/21 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by polyspheric

Well then my current G2 isn't really a Mopar....But it sure looks good in their.
Posted By: GY3

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 07/30/21 07:54 PM

The same can be said for every make out there.

Think the Chevy and Ford guys use only OEM parts?
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 07/30/21 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dragula
Saw an article the other day, and the guy had a 636 Hemi, Indy block I believe....I thought 605 or so was it, but I guess not. Is that a raised cam and a 5" stroke?

.7854 X 4.5bore X 4.5bore X 5stroke X 8=636 Would require a raised cam block.

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 07/30/21 08:35 PM

I see being wrong doesn't affect your interest in criticizing me...
Posted By: cuda499

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 07/30/21 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tig

Yes Todd Goodwin makes those...I have seen those at nearly 700 cubes. And I know there was one by a member on here for sale on RJ...$43k...Looked awesome. Would love to know more about them.

Ive got the goodwin and its 648 cubes, and they use a chevy block. These engines are a 5.0 borespace and mopar doesn't make Its sitting in my shop. I have it listed for 40 with the racepak, carbs, converter etc etc. It'll sell for that or ill keep it on display.

Those 655 hemi's and 636 cube deals arent for me, and id never want to make them over 604.... I mean think about it, there isn't an engine with a heavier piston then a hemi, and when you add stroke you are adding piston speed. If you can get it done with less cubes I would. My last street build was a 572, and my new one will be the same only because its not boosted.

Now if it was a wedge engine, i might take the cubes. This would depend on how serious the build was, cylinder head, cam shaft, etc etc...
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 07/30/21 10:44 PM

Doing a KB 636 hemi right now. Raised cam and 5.1 stroke. hell just call my man Charlie Buck and ask for the Big Buck. 959 CID and they cost Big Bucks to.
Todd
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 07/30/21 10:57 PM

I think there is combination of bore and stroke (as well as all the other parts) of every type of motor we play with that makes the most HP per C.I. twocents work
Finding what exactly it is the hard part whistling grin
I've said it more than once, it is not JUST the motor that makes the car fast, it is every part being the best for the application your making from the front bumper bolts to the rear bumper bolts scope twocents

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 07/31/21 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by cuda499
Originally Posted by Tig

Ive got the goodwin and its 648 cubes, and they use a chevy block. These engines are a 5.0 borespace and mopar doesn't make Its sitting in my shop. I have it listed for 40 with the racepak, carbs, converter etc etc. It'll sell for that or ill keep it on display.

Those 655 hemi's and 636 cube deals arent for me, and id never want to make them over 604.... I mean think about it, there isn't an engine with a heavier piston then a hemi, and when you add stroke you are adding piston speed. If you can get it done with less cubes I would. My last street build was a 572, and my new one will be the same only because its not boosted.

Now if it was a wedge engine, i might take the cubes. This would depend on how serious the build was, cylinder head, cam shaft, etc etc...

I've drooled over that for a while, since it's based on a chevy block I'm guessing the rear bolt pattern is for 'glides / TH type transmissions ? The 655 we have is a pump gas N/A wedge deal.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 07/31/21 01:41 PM

655" is the limit. 4.563"x5". Does not have to be a 4.84" BS block. We have done a 645, 4.530"x5" and a 655 Predator engines. I have a 655 in our Dragster. It is a "low compression" smallish cam makes 1100 pretty easily with a single 4bbl on a cast intake.
Posted By: fbs63

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 07/31/21 01:48 PM

Can I ask why you are so stuck on cubic inch? A 572 built right will make all the HP a stock body small tire car can use. One thing no one talks about with these large cube engines is maintenance. First you need to find a head with a large enough CSA and volume. Then there is valve lift in the 1.00 to 1.30 range. The majority of the 700+ cube motors have Titanium con rods that have cycle life of an aluminum rod. They are not Bracket or street motors. Put a ProCharger on one of your engines and be done.

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 07/31/21 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by fbs63
Can I ask why you are so stuck on cubic inch? A 572 built right will make all the HP a stock body small tire car can use. One thing no one talks about with these large cube engines is maintenance. First you need to find a head with a large enough CSA and volume. Then there is valve lift in the 1.00 to 1.30 range. The majority of the 700+ cube motors have Titanium con rods that have cycle life of an aluminum rod. They are not Bracket or street motors. Put a ProCharger on one of your engines and be done.

Remember the days of running around town in a stock stroked mopar....Then getting your hands on a good running stroker! Having the cubes is awesome.....Those guys are putting blowers on 9:1 632's....I would like to hit 1000hp some day....I will get my street junk back out to the track somtime this year and see how its running and if I found more HP....I envey you guys with the big engines and +1000hp...Would like to hear about some of them...The wedge based one, and the predators are cool...
Posted By: boatracer572

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 07/31/21 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
655" is the limit. 4.563"x5". Does not have to be a 4.84" BS block. We have done a 645, 4.530"x5" and a 655 Predator engines. I have a 655 in our Dragster. It is a "low compression" smallish cam makes 1100 pretty easily with a single 4bbl on a cast intake.

Actually that’s incorrect....... the biggest combo I’ve seen is a world cast iorn block 4.560” bore and 5.120” stroke = 668” with an early cast iorn world block or Chicago connection cast block 4.60” bore and 5.12” stroke 680” is possible........
Posted By: boatracer572

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 07/31/21 04:43 PM

I agree on an earlier post ,no need for that much cid. with out a head to feed that many cubes... the predator head was designed over 20 years ago and hasn't really been updated or the platform built on to another, better head for 2nd gen blocks. i would love to see someone design a head like the hemi 99 to bolt onto a second gen hemi or wedge block, ive been waiting and will be one of the first to buy a set

Attached picture IMG_5646.jpg
Posted By: cuda499

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 07/31/21 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tig
Originally Posted by cuda499
Originally Posted by Tig

I've drooled over that for a while, since it's based on a chevy block I'm guessing the rear bolt pattern is for 'glides / TH type transmissions ? The 655 we have is a pump gas N/A wedge deal.

yes it is, but i have a glide for it as well.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 08/01/21 03:25 AM

I freshened up a Koleno block based 622 ci that Scott Koffel originally built a few years ago. 4.600 bore x 4.6xx stroke(can't remember exactly), w/ B1MC heads and alum Bill Miller rods. Quite crowded in there, everything trying to run into everything else. But yes, it can be done.

Brian
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 08/04/21 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by fbs63

X3000!

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 08/04/21 04:19 PM

Confusion of terms:
"Aftermarket block" means any non-MoPar.
When the bore pitch is extended, these parts cannot be MoPar: block, crank, cam, heads, manifold, pan
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 08/04/21 05:33 PM

Confusion of terms:
When the bore pitch is extended, these parts cannot be MoPar: block, crank, cam, heads, manifold, pan

Mopar Performance Hemi Pro Stock Block - P5153651AB - 2006 Hemi Pro Stock Block legal for NHRA Pro Stock racing and features 4.900-inch bore center
Mopar Performance Aluminum Cylinder Head - P5153447AB – HEMI ProStock Head for the 4.9 block
World HEMI block – has a Mopar part number on it
Callies Mega Block has a Mopar part number on it
KB block used to come with a Mopar part number on it – not sure it still does and the block was available through the parts department at any dealership for years
Then there were all those purple shaft Cams, Pistons, Rods all available through the Direct connection program - which later was Mopar performance
So my point - these are actually Mopar parts – but yes they are all now made for the most part by the aftermarket manufactures – just like most of the Ford and Chevy parts for racing these days

Then there is the whole crate motor program that Mopar has for the Gen3 engines - and how about the whole DragPak FSS car you can order through the parts department and go racing !!!!
Posted By: GY3

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 08/04/21 05:57 PM

Confusion of terms:

Confusion of an individual.
Posted By: GTS340

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 08/04/21 10:24 PM

Confusion of terms:

Uhhh, not quite.
4.840 bore space block, let's see what fits:
Factory crank? Sure, if you decide to
Factory BB cam? Again, if for some bizarre reason you want to
Heads? You got me there
Manifold? It has to match the head, but no different from putting a W2 top end on a SB
Factory pan? Again, if you must

Another attempt to prove your mechanical genius status has backfired!

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 08/05/21 01:23 PM

The same people have, again, displayed their lack of comprehension.
By "MoPar", of course I was referring to OEM parts made for production cars. Duh.

Re: How big can you go with after market block? - 08/05/21 01:31 PM

I like to think we can keep it Mopar based somewhat....rather than other....Heck I think the fact the Hemi 99 or Goodwin that uses a chevy style block to make a Mopar based engine out of it is pretty cool idea. Take an existing high production block and adapt a new set of Mopar based heads for it, not a bad idea really.

I see some Callies blocks hitting the web now. Maybe its time to pull the trigger again....
© 2024 Moparts Forums