Moparts

what dist. for crank trigger?

Posted By: Chris Vanover

what dist. for crank trigger? - 04/06/09 02:23 PM

what kind of distributors are you guys using w/ a crank trigger on a bb? i know u have to lock them down and really dont see the need to messing up a good msd dist. if i dont have to.
Posted By: 446acuda

Re: what dist. for crank trigger? - 04/06/09 02:27 PM

You could use a lean burn distributor since they are already locked out and you could get one for next to nothing
Posted By: AndyF

Re: what dist. for crank trigger? - 04/06/09 02:50 PM

Nobody makes a crank trigger distributor for a BB Mopar for some reason. You can lock out a MSD fairly easy and it doesn't mess it up. The lean burn idea is also a good one if you can find an old distributor that is in okay shape. I use a belt drive distributor on my 505 but in order to do that you also need the Jesel belt drive set up.
Posted By: Chris Vanover

Re: what dist. for crank trigger? - 04/06/09 02:58 PM

can i see some pics of the belt drive set up? i have a jesel belt drive... and where u get em and what do they cost?
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: what dist. for crank trigger? - 04/06/09 03:34 PM

I use a Jesel front mouont distributor as well. but the Hemi uses a locked out MSD distributor. The only con about the front mount is the space it takes up and it limits water pump choices, I use a Meziere reverse flow unit in my car. Not a lot of room up front with it for me but it works.

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: what dist. for crank trigger? - 04/06/09 04:20 PM

Call Jesel for the prices and kits
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: what dist. for crank trigger? - 04/06/09 04:54 PM

Quote:

I use a Jesel front mouont distributor as well. but the Hemi uses a locked out MSD distributor. The only con about the front mount is the space it takes up and it limits water pump choices, I use a Meziere reverse flow unit in my car. Not a lot of room up front with it for me but it works.

Al, can you turn the dist around and have the cap
facing the engine... would that allow for the clearance
thats needed to clear the pumps

Re: what dist. for crank trigger? - 04/06/09 05:14 PM

Quote:

can i see some pics of the belt drive set up? i have a jesel belt drive... and where u get em and what do they cost?

I've posted a lot of stuff on belt drive distributors. Check in the best of area and/or the archives. I've posted some pictures showing how to use the Jesel distributor with a regular electric pump as well as a reverse flow unit.

Re: what dist. for crank trigger? - 04/06/09 05:17 PM

Here is one solution that I designed for a customer with a remote water pump. This setup works great and looks very professional when used with a custom radiator that accepts the dual #16 AN lines.

Re: what dist. for crank trigger? - 04/06/09 05:23 PM

Here is one way to use a standard electric pump with a belt drive distributor.

Posted By: defiance

Re: what dist. for crank trigger? - 04/06/09 07:05 PM

seconded on the MSD - it's made to be lockable, you just pull out the retainer pin, flip it around, and put the pin back in - done. Takes about 10-15 minutes and can be reversed just as quickly. I've switched mine back and forth a couple of times playing with ECU timing control vs. normal mechanical advance.
Posted By: rebel

Re: what dist. for crank trigger? - 04/06/09 07:33 PM

if you don't want to go to the expense of buying an MSD to mod you can lock a Procomp dizzy just as easy & they're cheap to buy as well. thats what i did.

Attached picture 5146690-Picture632.jpg
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: what dist. for crank trigger? - 04/06/09 07:54 PM

I use a stock distributor thats welded up on my small block. Works well.
Posted By: B1HEAD_USER

Re: what dist. for crank trigger? - 04/06/09 07:59 PM

I use a lean burn dist on mine works great.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: what dist. for crank trigger? - 04/06/09 08:29 PM

just a pain ole dist locked out/
Posted By: Ari440

Re: what dist. for crank trigger? - 04/06/09 09:28 PM

Quote:

Here is one way to use a standard electric pump with a belt drive distributor.

what size is the lines ?

pm me a price on the plates , ANDY

Re: what dist. for crank trigger? - 04/06/09 10:30 PM

I usually make those plates with #12 AN o-ring fittings but I've also used 1 inch NPT and #16 AN o-ring.

The black anodized plates in the previous picture are a standard part number and pricing is on the webpage. The natural aluminum ones in the lower picture are a semi-custom part. The last pair I built was about $100 but it depends on how pretty a person wants them. I have a design that I think would work for most people but I just haven't built any parts for inventory yet. Shoot me a PM telling me what you need and I might have it on the shelf.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: what dist. for crank trigger? - 04/07/09 12:29 AM

I use a offset one from predator performance in Jersey.

© 2024 Moparts Forums