Moparts

Aftermarket street/strip car ignition

Posted By: Uncle Barry

Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/12/21 09:36 PM

Who today makes a good ignition system for my car. I think I may retire my old MP ECU and want something that is dependable and will make some RPM's. No crank triggers.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/12/21 09:47 PM

I like the MSD 6al 2
Nice street strip ignition, that is what i use it for
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/12/21 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Barry
Who today makes a good ignition system for my car. I think I may retire my old MP ECU and want something that is dependable and will make some RPM's. No crank triggers.

For a race car the standard setup of a MSD billet distributor and a MSD 6 box seems to work for most people. If it is a street/strip kind of deal where you want vacuum advance then the choices are a little tougher.

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/12/21 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF

For a race car the standard setup of a MSD billet distributor and a MSD 6 box seems to work for most people. If it is a street/strip kind of deal where you want vacuum advance then the choices are a little tougher.

I guess I should have added that I don't run vacuum advance. It's a recurved distributor and is at full advance around 2500 rpm. Just curious if there was anything out there other than MSD. Just seeing what other options there are.
Posted By: carnut68

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/13/21 12:02 AM

I guess I should have added that I don't run vacuum advance. It's a recurved distributor and is at full advance around 2500 rpm. Just curious if there was anything out there other than MSD. Just seeing what other options there are.
Check out Progession Ignition.
Posted By: 65Fury440

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/13/21 02:30 AM

Progression Ignition stuff sure is nice.
I would buy another in a heartbeat.
Posted By: cdwmotorsports

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/13/21 02:56 AM

I agree, I've had the 6AL and my billet dist for 22 years with no issues
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/13/21 04:11 PM

If you are looking for something other than MSD then that is the question you should ask. You'll get better answers if you ask that question.

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/13/21 05:16 PM

If you are looking for something other than MSD then that is the question you should ask. You'll get better answers if you ask that question.

I'm open to MSD ignition. Just seeing other options too. I don't really know about aftermarket ignition systems so I asked that question. I don't even know what distributor, such as an MSD pro billet, will clear an Edelbrock Victor Jr Hemi head and stamped steel valve cover and a factory air cleaner base. I'm just testing the waters and I'll probably ask more questions before I make a choice. Thanks for all the responses.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/13/21 05:24 PM

why don't you want to run vacuum advance ? race only engine i can understand, but if you do any street miles at all, vacuum advance is your friend.
it will take a little tuning of the advance curve inside the distributor, plus adjusting the can [and possibly changing it for a different unit] through the hose nipple, but it will be well worth it in the end.
see the article by e-booger on the "mopar action" magazine site for the how to.
beer

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/13/21 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
why don't you want to run vacuum advance ? race only engine i can understand, but if you do any street miles at all, vacuum advance is your friend.
it will take a little tuning of the advance curve inside the distributor, plus adjusting the can [and possibly changing it for a different unit] through the hose nipple, but it will be well worth it in the end.
see the article by e-booger on the "mopar action" magazine site for the how to.
beer

We just always run mechanical advance on our stuff for years and worked flawlessly with no issues street driving. shruggy
Posted By: moparx

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/13/21 05:50 PM

i'm not implying your combo[s] did not work good as you had them set up, it's just that they could have had the potential to work better, especially in gas mileage at light cruise conditions.
and when sorted out well, the vacuum advance does not take anything away from whatever mechanical setup you currently run. at WOT, the vacuum is practically nil, so it has no effect on a race tune.
i'm a fan of vacuum advance, so this is just my opinion. your mileage will vary.
beer
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/13/21 08:09 PM

I have been using a Crane Ignition box with a MP race Hemi tach drive distributor in my Hemi and I would buy the Crane box again. No problems. Mine is the Fireball Hi 6 purchased in the late 90s IIRC.

Mark
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/14/21 03:25 AM

MSD 6AL is your friend.
Posted By: MichaelF

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/14/21 06:01 AM

I used the msd streetfire box with good results.....a little cheaper than the 6-AL, has got a rev limiter too and performed flawlessly.

Michael
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/14/21 12:23 PM

MSD 6AL-2 programmable. (6530)
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/14/21 02:13 PM

Used 6AL's for years and still do on my Barracuda, and have a 6AL2 on my Dart.
Posted By: krautrock

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/14/21 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by MichaelF
I used the msd streetfire box with good results.....a little cheaper than the 6-AL, has got a rev limiter too and performed flawlessly.

Michael

I have a powerwagon that overheated the coil a few times with stock Electronic ign setup. Switched to a streetfire (atleast 6 years ago) and it has been perfect.

Bought a used 6AL to run on the hot rod with a electronic chrysler distributor and it has been fine too.
Posted By: bee1971

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/14/21 02:57 PM

What’s considered Some RPMs ?

What are you shifting at now ?

I love the Firecore distributor with vacuum advance - Adjustability is awesome and easy , ported vacuum - Use factory distributor cap and decent wires

Older Direct Connection Mopar Chrome ECU or the Older Standard LX101 ECU ignition modules

I considered upgrading to a MSD Streetfire module or Pertronix Digital HP when I was chasing RPM issues until

Coils and Ballast

But on a 500 HP Street car , in all honestly what would I gain ?

Starts awesome , idles awesome , destroys the tires awesome , shift around 5400 RPMs with my cam and valve train

Putting together a great quality Factory Stock Type Performance Mopar Ignition System is a little harder today with all this Chinese junk
I guess in reality that’s the biggest issue

I found all my new old stock ignition components on EBay and swap meets

The Firecore distributor, so far so great on the street
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/14/21 04:46 PM

I wouldn't buy and try to use a MSD 6AL digital, I know to many people who had them fail down twocents I've never used the MSD street # 6 series boxes but I know a lot of racers that use them on their bracket cars shruggy
I still like and use MSD race ignitions on my race cars, 7AL2, 7C, grid and so on up
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/14/21 05:06 PM

I have switched both my racecar and my street/strip machine to the Pertronix Digital hp box from the digital 6 boxes They are great boxes... study the features, output , and price. They are capable of 187 mj (also have a 135 setting in case you have lesser coil that could over heat with continuous duty at full power output), have three steps of rev limit, start retards that are programmable in terms of rpm, and degrees, shift light trigger, all built in. Just one note if your using a mopar electronic dist. set the trigger to falling.

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/14/21 06:13 PM

[quote][/quote]
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I wouldn't buy and try to use a MSD 6AL digital, I know to many people who had them fail down twocents I've never used the MSD street # 6 series boxes but I know a lot of racers that use them on their bracket cars shruggy
I still like and use MSD race ignitions on my race cars, 7AL2, 7C, grid and so on up

Me either. I like the new style 6al with built in two step.... not the Digital 6
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/14/21 08:05 PM

The only issue I've had with my Digital 6 is the rev limiter. My car developed a pop immediately after the gear changes at the strip. After changing the plugs, wires, cap, rotor button, pickup and coil, resetting the rev limiter to 0 stopped it.

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/15/21 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by bee1971
What’s considered Some RPMs ?

What are you shifting at now ?

I love the Firecore distributor with vacuum advance - Adjustability is awesome and easy , ported vacuum - Use factory distributor cap and decent wires

Older Direct Connection Mopar Chrome ECU or the Older Standard LX101 ECU ignition modules

I considered upgrading to a MSD Streetfire module or Pertronix Digital HP when I was chasing RPM issues until

Coils and Ballast

But on a 500 HP Street car , in all honestly what would I gain ?

Starts awesome , idles awesome , destroys the tires awesome , shift around 5400 RPMs with my cam and valve train

Putting together a great quality Factory Stock Type Performance Mopar Ignition System is a little harder today with all this Chinese junk
I guess in reality that’s the biggest issue

I found all my new old stock ignition components on EBay and swap meets

The Firecore distributor, so far so great on the street

I shift 6300-6500. I'll never buy another Firecore distributor again. Firecore wires are great. These newer ECU boxes are unreliable and I usually get misfires around 5800-6000 rpm. I'm not into buying used electronic devices. You usually are buying someone's trash that should be thrown away. Stock ignition works great but it has its limits. And I figure it's time for me to upgrade. up

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/15/21 12:41 AM

Thank you everyone for your input. It's greatly appreciated up

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/15/21 12:24 PM

FWIW...I ran the old school MSD 6AL box for a LONG time. Still have them on both B bodies we have and I'm putting one on the Demon.
The only reason I went to the 6530 on the cuda was all the extra features it has helps w/ the nitrous.

I had problems years ago w/ the first MSD Digital 6 Plus boxes. They seemed great, until I couldn't get rid of a high RPM misfire. Swapped the old 6AL back in and it was gone.
I think the early digital boxes were plagued w/ issues the newer ones don't have. twocents
Posted By: boomerodell

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/15/21 12:38 PM

Anyone familiar with ICE ignition?
https://www.iceignition.com/

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/15/21 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by boomerodell
Anyone familiar with ICE ignition?
https://www.iceignition.com/

I've heard good things, but really expensive from what I recall.

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/15/21 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
FWIW...I ran the old school MSD 6AL box for a LONG time. Still have them on both B bodies we have and I'm putting one on the Demon.
The only reason I went to the 6530 on the cuda was all the extra features it has helps w/ the nitrous.

I had problems years ago w/ the first MSD Digital 6 Plus boxes. They seemed great, until I couldn't get rid of a high RPM misfire. Swapped the old 6AL back in and it was gone.
I think the early digital boxes were plagued w/ issues the newer ones don't have. twocents

Good to know. Thanks Chip. I'm kind of leaning toward the 64253 6AL and get the coil and a pro billet distributor to match. Not sure if this would be a mistake or not. I'm just naturally aspirated with my hemi.

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/15/21 01:09 PM

Good to know. Thanks Chip. I'm kind of leaning toward the 64253 6AL and get the coil and a pro billet distributor to match. Not sure if this would be a mistake or not. I'm just naturally aspirated with my hemi.

I like the 6421

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/15/21 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by B3422W5

I like the 6421

Is there a big difference? I get lost in all of their products lol

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/15/21 01:40 PM

Either of those should be just fine. The 6530 just has a lot of extra features (needs a laptop to set it up), which really aren't needed for your car IMO, but is nice if you plan on doing something different in the future.
The one you're looking at is just the new digital version of the old school analog 6AL.

Re: Aftermarket street/strip car ignition - 06/15/21 02:52 PM

Either of those should be just fine. The 6530 just has a lot of extra features (needs a laptop to set it up), which really aren't needed for your car IMO, but is nice if you plan on doing something different in the future.
The one you're looking at is just the new digital version of the old school analog 6AL.

I'm just a test and tune a few times a year guy with no plans to run nitrous. I'm willing to go this route (I think). I'm just not up on these newer style ignition systems and you folks know the ins and outs of what's out there.
© 2024 Moparts Forums