Moparts

Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue

Posted By: dizuster

Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 05/26/21 05:14 PM

Does anyone know if Tranzact of Indy is still open?

I have what I suspect is a valvebody issue that I was hoping I might get some tech help with.

Very strange... but when you fire the car up and put it into gear, it just rev's like it's in neutral. Then if you hold it at 2,000 RPM or so for say 5 seconds it will start to move. It almost feels like you're letting the clutch out.

I took the trans apart yesterday and everything looks FLAWLESS inside. Not one hint of any gear slipping anywhere.

I can send the converter back to be looked at too, but thought I'd start with the valvebody.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 05/26/21 05:30 PM

Are you starting the engine with the shifter in Park or Neutral?

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 05/26/21 05:37 PM

Both... lol It's a pushbutton.

I should note a couple more things also.

1) It never did this before. This is a new issue that shown up in the last year or so.

2) The last time the car was raced was 2 years ago, and ran 6.22 in great air with a 1.37 60ft. This past weekend, the car went 6.30, but with only a 1.51 60ft. Still had great MPH though, which made me thing the stator might be broken. But PTC told me it should be a spragless converter, so I'm waiting for a call back from them to confirm based on the serial number I have now.

Not sure how that might effect this issue where it feels like it is slipping after start up.

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 05/26/21 06:55 PM

Check both band adjustments twocents
Take a hard look at the front drum also scope

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 05/26/21 07:00 PM

Good advice Cab. I did that already... both are good, and there isn't a sign of hot spot anywhere on the drums, bands, steels, or clutches.

I talked to PTC. They think it is probably a hung Torque Converter Control Valve in the valve body. I'll get that apart next and start looking at it.

The other symptom that I talked to PTC about, was that on the 2nd pass, the shift light came on right away off the transbrake release. They said that's a symptom of the converter not being full also.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 05/26/21 08:07 PM

Should’ve checked line pressure first, that would pointed u in the right direction. 2cts.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 05/26/21 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by dizuster
Good advice Cab. I did that already... both are good, and there isn't a sign of hot spot anywhere on the drums, bands, steels, or clutches.

I talked to PTC. They think it is probably a hung Torque Converter Control Valve in the valve body. I'll get that apart next and start looking at it.

The other symptom that I talked to PTC about, was that on the 2nd pass, the shift light came on right away off the transbrake release. They said that's a symptom of the converter not being full also.

With those symptoms the first thing to do is see where the fluid level is before starting it.
If very high, above your full/hot mark, then start the engine and once you get a good engagement check the fluid again.

If lower, then the converter drained down.

Two things usually cause that. A stuck/sticky TCCV or excessive pump rotor face clearance. If a recent occurrence for you then likely not the pump clearance.
Age old issue.
Posted By: Wirenut

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 05/26/21 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Transman

With those symptoms the first thing to do is see where the fluid level is before starting it.
If very high, above your full/hot mark, then start the engine and once you get a good engagement check the fluid again.

If lower, then the converter drained down.

Two things usually cause that. A stuck/sticky TCCV or excessive pump rotor face clearance. If a recent occurrence for you then likely not the pump clearance.
Age old issue.

I had a sb pushbutton that did this if it sat for more than a few hours. Was told it was common . Just converter draining back

Posted By: dvw

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 05/27/21 12:20 AM

This isnt normal converter drain back. When he pulls away in the pits it sounds like its leaving in high gear. And that's after it's been running a while. Not saying the converters full. That could be the issue. But its run plenty long enough for a normal fill.
Doug
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 05/27/21 12:39 AM

There was a TSB, for the reaction shaft turning in the support. One of the symptoms was no forward engagement, due to misalignment of the feed holes. If you can compare the reaction shaft support to another, just to rule it out. I remember that fully blocked feed holes would slip the rear clutch dramatically. Doesn’t sound like you’re seeing it, though.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 05/27/21 01:42 AM

I can't help but this is why I stay here.

Good to see IDEAS THAT CAN HELP

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 05/27/21 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by rickraw
Should’ve checked line pressure first, that would pointed u in the right direction. 2cts.

That was the FIRST thing I said to DVW when I called him after I took it apart and didn't find any issues!!!!

Thanks to all of those who've given ideas. We have family plans this weekend, but I'll report back next week after some further investigation!

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 05/27/21 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by rickraw

That was the FIRST thing I said to DVW when I called him after I took it apart and didn't find any issues!!!!

Thanks to all of those who've given ideas. We have family plans this weekend, but I'll report back next week after some further investigation!

Line pressure is unaffected by converter fill. Doug said it moved under it’s own power and you said no burnt clutches.

Low line would have wounded clutches.

Look at the valve body - corner by the spring retainer bracket. There is a small long skinny spring next to the reg valve.
That’s the TCCV and spring. That’s your likely culprit. That valve should be all the way in it’s bore. And it should fall out once that bracket is removed.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 05/27/21 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by FastmOp
I can't help but this is why I stay here.

Good to see IDEAS THAT CAN HELP

you bet ! up bow
and as an added benefit, these guys "remind" us that are a "tad" older, [as in ME] stuff we have forgotten. biggrin
beer

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 05/27/21 08:33 PM

Transman for the win... TCCV was stuck (I had to bang the side of the valve body a bunch of times to get it to finally come out).

Not sure why, but it is very corroded!!! I'll get it cleaned up and put back together. Thanks for the help Lou!

Attached picture TCCV.jpg
Posted By: CCG

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 12/01/21 01:55 PM

Hello Moparts forum.
I wish I did not have to post this. However, Tranzact of Indy, Race Parts Wholesale Indianapolis, Joe Chrisman is not responding to any of my messages after I sent him a deposit for one of his Ultraflite transmissions on May 10th, 2021. We spoke on the phone several times, however over the last four months he will not answer the phone at (317) 846-4933, emails to tranzactracing@aol.com, or certified letters sent to his address 503 North Arthur Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46280. Does someone know how to contact him? I hope he is not trying to keep this money without doing his job. I also do not want anyone in this community to have this happen.
Thanks for any help!I
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 12/01/21 02:20 PM

You have at least 25 posts on this subject. You should be contacting the Better Business Bureau,your credit card company or filing a claim in small claims court. Good luck as I hate to see somebody ripped off on race parts.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 12/02/21 12:50 AM

I’m just surprised that nobody seems to know anything about him?

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 12/02/21 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by J_BODY

Maybe call TCI and see if they are back ordered on the Brake he makes for them.

If so maybe he is out of commission.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 12/02/21 03:56 AM

That doesn’t excuse him from not picking up the phone

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 12/02/21 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Did I say to excuse him?

If TCI is behind then could be something besides him being a bad businessman.

Can’t pick up them phone or make product if he is in the hospital or worse.

I had a customer that got the same runaround from him on a gearset he makes that failed. He fixed it and said it would last all season. Failed in two passes.
Wouldn’t return the guys calls.

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 12/04/21 02:08 PM

Thanks Transman.

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 12/04/21 02:10 PM

Thanks J Body.

I was hoping someone would know how to get in contact with him as well.

Merry Xmas.

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 12/04/21 02:13 PM

Thanks Pittsburgracer.

I’m trying multiple avenues.

Merry Xmas.

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 12/04/21 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by tboomer
You have at least 25 posts on this subject. You should be contacting the Better Business Bureau,your credit card company or filing a claim in small claims court. Good luck as I hate to see somebody ripped off on race parts.

Thanks Tboomer.

Points taken.

I don’t want this to happen to anyone in this community either.

Merry Xmas.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 12/04/21 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by CCG

Thanks Pittsburgracer.

I’m trying multiple avenues.

Merry Xmas.

Sorry that was aimed at Tranzact. They could pick up the phone and call YOU and explain why such a long delay.
Posted By: HR3128

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 12/05/21 01:52 PM

Look at the valve body - corner by the spring retainer bracket. There is a small long skinny spring next to the reg valve.
That’s the TCCV and spring. That’s your likely culprit. That valve should be all the way in it’s bore. And it should fall out once that bracket is removed.

Do you have a pic of the TCCV and spring location? I have a transmission with the same problem & thought I may mess with it over the winter. Thanks.

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 12/05/21 02:21 PM

Smack in the center of the picture - looks like a dumbbell. Has a skinny long spring holding it in.

Look for the black line to the left of the valve and spring.

Attached picture C84490AB-1E30-4403-9EEE-591E113A7D28.jpeg
Posted By: HR3128

Re: Tranzact of Indy Valvebody Issue - 12/05/21 02:41 PM

Got it. Thanks. I appreciate the help.
© 2024 Moparts Forums