Moparts

CSR shields

Posted By: bigdad

CSR shields - 05/09/21 04:50 PM

Hard to find apparently, did they quit making them ?

https://csr-performance.com/shop/product.da/csr838-super-shield---chrysler-small-block-904
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: CSR shields - 05/09/21 05:33 PM

Lots of stuff not available right now. Some will start back up and some won't. No idea which category CSR is in.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: CSR shields - 05/10/21 01:17 AM

I vision that CSR waits until they have a few orders.... it took me around 6mos to get one. I first ordered from JEGS before I realized they were lying cork soakers about that print in their ad that says “IN STOCK”. Canceled order and went straight to the source. Called them and got excuses.... they finally charged my card and gave me a shipping date. About that time I was having a discussion with a friend in CA that was in need of one. He called, placed an order and got his within a week of me getting mine. Just a hunch, but I’m betting it’s such a small niche market that I’m correct in my theory. I have a 727 one and a 904. Both are prob out of date (I know the 727 for sure), but at this point I’m afraid to ship for recert.
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: CSR shields - 05/10/21 11:23 AM

I bought one prob 6-7 years ago and I had a little trouble finding one in stock then. I think they make them in small batches so I'm sure it only got worse with Covid.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: CSR shields - 05/10/21 04:41 PM

Be nice if someone made an aftermarket 727 case like the PG or T400.
Posted By: jcc

Re: CSR shields - 05/11/21 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by J_BODY
I vision that CSR waits until they have a few orders.... it took me around 6mos to get one. I first ordered from JEGS before I realized they were lying cork soakers about that print in their ad that says “IN STOCK”. Canceled order and went straight to the source. Called them and got excuses.... they finally charged my card and gave me a shipping date. About that time I was having a discussion with a friend in CA that was in need of one. He called, placed an order and got his within a week of me getting mine. Just a hunch, but I’m betting it’s such a small niche market that I’m correct in my theory. I have a 727 one and a 904. Both are prob out of date (I know the 727 for sure), but at this point I’m afraid to ship for recert.

My thinking is the most deteriorating item with the shield system is the restraint strap, if the shield has no visible/heat damage, and being its not a stressed part in normal use, only re cert item really is just the strap.

Re: CSR shields - 05/11/21 01:33 PM

You’re probably correct JCC... but from what I hear they will only recert the shield ONCE.... either way in the theaters in which I play nobody has ever checked my SFI tag or whether I’m even running one..... and the mass of the smaller 904 doesn’t explode like it’s dump truck big brother (which can also be addressed...). I could probably go to a blanket and that small “flywheel” shield since my floor is removable if the need for current dates ever arose
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: CSR shields - 05/11/21 02:00 PM

Jay you may want to check and see if they even will recert it at all anymore, we have one on the Camaros TH400 and the new car has one on its Proflite. As for an aftermarket case for a TF someone was actually getting ready to produce them but it never happened. Were more aimed at the truck/offroad crowd from what I recall. I would be happy to just have a source other than CSR. Not easy to work with at times for sure.
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: CSR shields - 05/11/21 08:15 PM

Yes,they will only recert one time. They check to make sure it hasn't been modified or cut. I also sent them the belt and all the hardware which was like new. They still sent me back a new belt and new hardware and charged me for it.
Posted By: humpty

Re: CSR shields - 05/13/21 03:08 AM

You might find a used one. I saw a couple while back. If they are less than 10 years old and have never been recertified CSR will recert it for around $50 per sticker. They turned mine around in 1 day back in February.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: CSR shields - 05/13/21 12:12 PM

Do tech inspectors up north actually crawl under the car to look at the cert stickers on things like shields, flexplates, balancers, etc.?
Posted By: dragracedr

Re: CSR shields - 05/13/21 12:27 PM

I run super street at divisional events. never had an inspector look at balancer, shield or flex plate. The do check helmet, belts, chassis cert, fuel cell ground, cut off switch fire suit, neck collar, gloves.. We hand them our tech card with the appropriate SFI numbers and dates for those hard parts not easily inspected.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: CSR shields - 05/13/21 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Do tech inspectors up north actually crawl under the car to look at the cert stickers on things like shields, flexplates, balancers, etc.?

LOL... Yeah right.

Re: CSR shields - 05/13/21 01:13 PM

It seems to me I remember a conversation about Mopar Billy acquiring receipts for a new flex plate for his “tech book” for racing at the divisional level..... that was many moons ago though. Always figured they were a little more stringent about those things at that level.
Not that I’m above that level.... I got four years out of a set of belts once smile
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: CSR shields - 05/13/21 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by J_BODY
It seems to me I remember a conversation about Mopar Billy acquiring receipts for a new flex plate for his “tech book” for racing at the divisional level..... that was many moons ago though. Always figured they were a little more stringent about those things at that level.
Not that I’m above that level.... I got four years out of a set of belts once smile

MoparBilly certainly had a way with the rules lol.

I spent lots of time and money getting a CSR shield to fit my car for drag week 2018 since I was solidly in the tens. Got teched at an NHRA owned track by an NHRA employee and he didn't even look under the car(although you can see it from the top if you really look). He just wanted to point out something I needed to change with my belts that nobody had mentioned ever before.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: CSR shields - 05/13/21 02:12 PM

In D6 and D7 yes they have been knows to crawl under or ask to remove tunnels to check stuff out. My worst experience ever was in Boise at a D6 S/ST race. The guy actually pulled at the seem of one of my gloves with his pinky on the inside until the seam came apart, then tried to bounce me for it! This was just after he let 7-8 cars go without looking at anything, D6 cars. He then wanted me to take out the tunnel to look at the trans case and bell. I said hell know and went off on him and refused to move until they answered why he intentionally destroyed a glove that was fine before he started pulling on it with all his fat little mite. At first I asked "so what does your brother sell safety equipment close by?" Eventually the track owner came over and they let me run as things were. I did have another pair of gloves in the trailer that I didnt really like to use. But they didnt ask and sent me on my way. Later I find another D7 buddy who was there got tossed for the same glove BS by the same little fat guy. Needless to say we had a talk with the D6 tech director and left satisfied.

I have had my battery cut off checked MANY times at national events.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: CSR shields - 05/13/21 08:26 PM

Just sitting here thinking that at one of our local tracks, not only is there no tech, but there's not even anyone putting a number on the car. If it can roll into the water box, you're good to go. The timeslip will have the color of your car (where the car number should be) or maybe some other distinguishing feature about your car on it so the guy at the shed at the end of the track knows what timeslip to give you, lol.
Posted By: jcc

Re: CSR shields - 05/14/21 03:56 AM

I have a like new old CSR shield that has maybe 5? miles on it, that when I get around to it and swap out the tranny, it will go into storage.
Posted By: cudatom

Re: CSR shields - 05/14/21 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by jcc
I have a like new old CSR shield that has maybe 5? miles on it, that when I get around to it and swap out the tranny, it will go into storage.

I have a CSR shield from 2002, it will be going on my current build. It hasn't been recertified and I don't plan on getting it recertified.

Re: CSR shields - 05/15/21 03:51 PM

everything

Attached picture ohpra.jpg

Re: CSR shields - 09/02/21 02:31 AM

USED Chebbie one on CL in Denver .. if anyone is looking

https://denver.craigslist.org/pts/d/chevrolet-kevlar-crs-transmission/7372875899.html
Posted By: scottb

Re: CSR shields - 01/20/22 01:51 AM

I’ve been told she does not have the money to buy the material to make the shields and they are to be prepaid and hopefully you will get one I talked to her 10 wks ago and she told me they were 4 wks out and wanted a CC number I said I’ll call back it’s been 10 wks I called back today and was told it would be 4 wks I said you told me that 10 wks ago so you would have used my money for the last 10 wks and still no shield that’s a [censored] way of doing business to bad know one else builds a carbon shield
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: CSR shields - 01/20/22 04:45 AM

I ended up buying a blanket after waiting a long time back in the early 2000s for a CSR shield, I ended up loving the blanket and sold the shield after getting it six months later up scope
i had a tranny temp gauge and never saw over 210 F on the tranny temps on the street or at the track racing it with a custom built 10 inch drag race street and strip converter from Continental: boogie:
Posted By: Chip

Re: CSR shields - 01/20/22 10:31 AM

I ordered and paid for a big block 727 shield in July of 2021 and still have not received the shield. Last week I called CSR and Christine told me they shipped it to my PO Box in December ... [censored] ...who ships large large packages to a PO Box. Now she said they are waiting for the return and will ship it correctly to my address. Still waiting.

I already missed last race season waiting for parts and this year doesn't look good either. I love my mopar...but my friend told me if you race mopar parts will be expensive and hard to find. He was right. Ordered an engine in June 2021... still waiting for parts to build the engine. Sucks.

Re: CSR shields - 01/20/22 01:05 PM

Yeah, she wanted me to pre-pay also , I said no thanks and bought ALUMINUM one from TCI .. my tunnel is large so no worry about fit
Posted By: moparx

Re: CSR shields - 01/20/22 05:44 PM

the thing about the aluminum shields is the certification.
how does that thing go "bad" after 5 [?] years unless the transmission blows up, deforming it, or it is cut up into chunks.
just as bad as the seat belt fiasco in my opinion. [ya know, grumpy old guy muttering in his oatmeal...... biggrin]
beer

Re: CSR shields - 01/20/22 06:49 PM

I just wanted some level of protection, Not to worried about the cert baloney

Re: CSR shields - 01/20/22 09:23 PM

Just ordered one she said 6-8 wks we will see she did not ask for payment I was shocked

Re: CSR shields - 01/21/22 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by bigdad

Then put a steel drum in it and forget the shield.

Re: CSR shields - 01/21/22 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by GomangoCuda

Then put a steel drum in it and forget the shield.
Steel or aluminum with a steel liner up scope

Re: CSR shields - 01/21/22 02:42 AM

They do already

do you understand what is meant by a level of security?

Re: CSR shields - 01/21/22 02:46 AM

They do already

Do steel drums explode?
Posted By: Hessu

Re: CSR shields - 01/21/22 09:23 AM

I order and paid super shield at 12/15/2021 hope get it for summer
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: CSR shields - 01/21/22 11:04 AM

Yeah, she wanted me to pre-pay also , I said no thanks and bought ALUMINUM one from TCI .. my tunnel is large so no worry about fit

Tunnel better be huge cause the tci shield is pretty much made for dragsters. No way that's fitting in a basic tunnel. Maybe someone can share their success with it, but one look at it and mine went back.

Re: CSR shields - 01/21/22 01:18 PM

They do already

Do steel drums explode?

Anything is possible , just take several safety measures that you can

Re: CSR shields - 01/21/22 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by A39Coronet

Tunnel better be huge cause the tci shield is pretty much made for dragsters. No way that's fitting in a basic tunnel. Maybe someone can share their success with it, but one look at it and mine went back.

prepared for that

Attached picture transtun.jpg

Re: CSR shields - 01/21/22 01:23 PM

Speaking from experience .. Most stock floors will not clear the CSR shield either .. i've owned two cars that I put them on , my current 67 has one

Re: CSR shields - 01/21/22 01:46 PM

Do steel drums explode?

Stock 727 drums definitely have that capability….. smaller mass of the 904, haven’t heard of it happening.
…..and we’re not talking huge hp deals either.
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: CSR shields - 01/21/22 10:32 PM

Speaking from experience .. Most stock floors will not clear the CSR shield either .. i've owned two cars that I put them on , my current 67 has one

Agreed, had to bash my 67 to get mine in as well, and that is basically a direct overlay design.
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: CSR shields - 01/22/22 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by scottb
Just ordered one she said 6-8 wks we will see she did not ask for payment I was shocked

Summit has a similar eta.

Attached picture csr shield.JPG
Posted By: Tig

Re: CSR shields - 01/22/22 07:19 PM

I heard that there is a global shortage of processed Kevlar and the Military have priority so raw materials are scarce at the mo. Luckily, over here we can apparently get these re-certified more than twice. This is the sort of stuff puts me off going quicker, I just can't be done with the hassle.
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: CSR shields - 01/22/22 10:08 PM

Anyone know what CSR's recertification policy is, given the absence of new product to sell?
Posted By: SCDaytona

Re: CSR shields - 01/23/22 03:01 AM

They just re-certified mine for my pro-flite and it has
been done more than twice now. They said since the supply of materials for new ones are not available, they would recertify mine.

Re: CSR shields - 01/23/22 03:37 AM

Ahhh... I need to call CSR and ask 'em about doing a re-cert on my original shield. The wouldn't do it some years ago when I wanted it done ("too old"?) and I ended up buying a new one. And it took so freakin' long to finally get the engine & trans in the car that the "new" shield's certification is expired and the car hasn't even moved under its own power w/ it. This sh!t drives me f***ing nuts...

Re: CSR shields - 01/23/22 10:27 PM

I heard it’s a money problem more then a material shortage
Posted By: joes68340s

Re: CSR shields - 01/23/22 11:43 PM

I ordered a shield direct from CSR that was 5 months ago. They don't call back when they say they will and tell me it's gong out and to expect a tracking number. Still waiting.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: CSR shields - 01/24/22 12:27 AM

Boycott these dorks. They either can supply it or not. The one I bought in 1999 sucked. P.O.S. What has changed in 23 years? See a pattern? Use a blanket. Bend up a shift linkage protector. It’s not that difficult.

Re: CSR shields - 01/24/22 05:10 AM

Blankets no prob…it’s that pesky flex plate shield that sucks for 9sec guys with stock floor pans.

Re: CSR shields - 05/02/22 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Hessu

Send few e-mail and and now got this info:
Your shield is on nest week run for production. Once the guys bring it over to me I will send you your tracking information.

Re: CSR shields - 05/02/22 12:32 PM

wow, well hope you do get it

Re: CSR shields - 05/02/22 01:42 PM

When they were still out of materials a couple of months ago, I e-mailed CSR about having an older previously-recertified shield recertified again... never saw any reply. I have a perfectly good old shield, too. rolleyes

Re: CSR shields - 05/02/22 05:06 PM

I've never seen any drag strip tech inspector crawl under any car to look at the tag on the tranny shields or blankets work
The flywheel shield on my S/P car has the tag where you can see it, it is mounted on the top of the shield, the tranny shield tag can't be seen from outside the car, it is on the top of the shield also shruggy
if your racing a stock type torque flite without aluminum drums and the other good internal race parts you need a good shield or blanket up
If it is out of date do you care work
You can send them back to the maker for recertification or use it and say you thought it current on the date whistling

Re: CSR shields - 06/03/22 12:32 PM

Send few e-mail and and now got this info:
Your shield is on nest week run for production. Once the guys bring it over to me I will send you your tracking information.

Looks very looooooong week. Send 5 or6 e-mails. No aswer no shield no tracking info.

Re: CSR shields - 07/21/22 12:32 PM

No shield no tracking number and csr have no web Page at any more? Last sunday send email To Credit company and ask my money back
© 2024 Moparts Forums