Moparts

assembly lube

Posted By: lancer493

assembly lube - 02/20/21 05:59 PM

I'm assembling a big block for race only application.Am mainly interested in piston/cylinder/ ring assembly lube.What have you used in this specific area of assembly when the engine won't be run immediately. It will sit for a while before firing up, as I haven't put the trans together yet. Thanks, Bill
Posted By: dOc !

Re: assembly lube - 02/20/21 06:05 PM

Yo Bill ... last one I did was with a straight 30 weight oil with high zinc ....,

Kendall I believe...
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: assembly lube - 02/20/21 07:52 PM

STP . My favorite
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: assembly lube - 02/20/21 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass
Yo Bill ... last one I did was with a straight 30 weight oil with high zinc ....,

Kendall I believe...

Ya that was probably 30 years ago. Lol 😂
Kendal oil changed names at least twice since then. Brad Penn and now Penn Grade. Still great oil.
Posted By: ek3

Re: assembly lube - 02/20/21 08:10 PM

nothing but wd 40 here. never failed

Re: assembly lube - 02/20/21 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Kendall I believe...

Ya that was probably 30 years ago. Lol 😂
Kendal oil changed names at least twice since then. Brad Penn and now Penn Grade. Still great oil.

That Puttsylvania oil can’t be beat !

I still have HALF A CASE of oil that has followed me around the last THIRTY? years ......

Me thimks It came from my grandpa !
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: assembly lube - 02/20/21 11:23 PM

Scheafer 20w-50 racing oil. It looks kinda greenish. That is some sticky stuff.

Brian
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: assembly lube - 02/21/21 12:30 AM

You guys put some pretty heavy stuff on the rings(except the WD40 guy) I use Castle brand lube called Thrust on all my ring/piston assembly jobs. It's a little thicker than WD40 so it should hang in there longer until you fire it up. twocents
Gus beer

Re: assembly lube - 02/21/21 12:51 AM

Lots of ideas here.I'm sure they all work well. My main concern is what will remain effective if I store it for a while before I fire it up. Thanks, Bill
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: assembly lube - 02/21/21 03:02 AM

I use 5W20Wt on all the bearing ,pistons and rings, cylinders walls get lube off of the residual oil on the rings and piston skirts and I wipe the cylinder walls several times to get the excess oil off of the cylinder walls with a clean white rag to get them as clean as possible after thoroughly cleaning them before assembling the short block. No assembly lube for me, the motor runs on oil, correct work thumbs
I use the cam lube call for by the cam maker on the lobes if it is flat tappet type cam and not a roller cam and lifter up wrench
you can not keep the motor to clean while prepping it and assembling it.
I do prime the motors and rotate them over on the engine stand with the spark plugs out and again before starting them in the car or on the engine dyno with the starter with the plugs out wrench up
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: assembly lube - 02/21/21 03:13 AM

I have been told by guys who build a lot of serious engines not to make the rings and lands sloppy wet as the oil creates issues, coking, etc on start up. In the old days, guys used to dunk the piston in a bucket of oil before installing it. Not good.

I use motor oil on the cylinder walls, rings, skirts, etc. Not dripping wet, just lubed. Bearings, cams, rocker gear, etc. gets GM EOS. I have some of the good old high zinc stuff that has followed me around over the years.

Pre-lube just before starting is also done.
Posted By: wyoming

Re: assembly lube - 02/21/21 05:42 AM

Total Seal recomends using a powder they sell on rings, seats the rings faster, I used it and appears it works ok.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: assembly lube - 02/21/21 07:00 AM

I've never had a ring seal problem even when I use to dip the complete piston in oil and never wipe the cylinder walls down to remove the excessive oil shruggy
I have also tried installing the rings and piston dry using the old Total Seal recommendation on their zero gap rings back in the mid 1970, only once though realcrazy shruggy
Posted By: dvw

Re: assembly lube - 02/21/21 11:38 AM

A few drops of oil in the ring grooves, wipe some oil on the skirts. WD40 on the cylinder wall after they have been thoroughly cleaned with ATF.
Doug

Re: assembly lube - 02/21/21 02:01 PM

How about the famous Lubriplate ? I have two cans of that that I inherited up

But use it sparingly tsk

NOT like some old fart here that use and aBuSe smilies !
Posted By: madscientist

Re: assembly lube - 02/21/21 03:11 PM

Nothing on the rings. Ever.

Wipe the bores with a white lint free cloth and Marvels Mystery oil, ATF or even WD-40 until the cloth comes out clean. Then put NOTHING on the cylinder walls unless you are using Total Seal’s powder or paste or whatever it is.

Then you use a QUALITY assembly lube and just put a light coating on the skirts. Real light. It should just cover the skirts and that’s it.

As you assemble the short block, you will notice that the lube on the skirts will migrate all around the bores, the rings will be LIGHTLY lubricated by that and there isn’t a bunch of oil loaded behind the rings. The engine will fire quickly, won’t smoke and the rings will be 99% seated before the engine runs 5 seconds.

You can see this on the dyno. Instead of the first 10-12 pulls showing big power gains as the rings come in, the power will be relatively stable as you begin your dyno work.

I use Torco assembly lube for everything. I never use oil. There is a separate cam lube and engine assembly lube. I don’t like assembly lubes that look like grease or pastes except for flat tappets.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: assembly lube - 02/21/21 03:31 PM

STP on bearings. Oil on everything else
Posted By: 440_Offroader

Re: assembly lube - 02/21/21 03:53 PM

How about the famous Lubriplate ? I have two cans of that that I inherited up

But use it sparingly tsk

If you don't run your engine right after assembly, it turns yellow and hardens. So much for lubrication there. I haven't used lubricate in years...

Re: assembly lube - 02/21/21 05:09 PM

LUBRIPLATE ? turns yellow and hardens ??

Re: assembly lube - 02/21/21 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by madscientist
Nothing on the rings. Ever.

Rings go on the pistons dry. But I do make the face of them wet while doing the same to the skirt just before dropping it in the hole. I just don't want anything to be dry as a popcorn fart while assembling, rotating or on start up.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: assembly lube - 02/22/21 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by ek3
nothing but wd 40 here. never failed

iagree
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: assembly lube - 02/22/21 09:31 PM

The OP was specifically asking about what would be OK sitting around for potentially an extended period of time without being started. Are people saying what they have suggested will last months/years on an engine in storage?

Or if not, what would have the best chance to last a long time just sitting in storage?
Posted By: MoonshineMattK

Re: assembly lube - 02/22/21 10:23 PM

I had a freshly overhauled engine lock up 10 or 15 years ago. It had sat for maybe a year (had been stored in the office of the shop). Its hard to remember exactly how long it sat around. I would recommend turning it over from time to time. Maybe every 3 months. If you can turn it monthly so much the better.

Fresh hone on the cylinders is different than the polished surface after the engine is broken in. If I recall the rings had slightly (very slightly) rusted to the cylinders

Re: assembly lube - 02/23/21 12:25 AM

Exit1965, you are correct in stating that the engine may sit in storage 3-6 months after assembly before being fired up.All of the suggested ideas would probably be effective for engines fired up soon after assembly, but I would like to protect the fresh cylinder walls while it sits. Funding due to retirement and a couple surgeries a while back have slowed the progress of this total car build. I still have to build the trans before I can can fire up the motor. I've built many engines before but most were fired very shortly after the build. Just looking to cover my bases. You all know how much time and MONEY you can tie up in a race motor. Thanks again, Bill
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: assembly lube - 02/23/21 09:00 PM

Maybe I'm old, but I've used Lubriplate for fifty years, and I don't spare it. After inititial fire up I change oil pretty much right away. It's always worked well for me.

Re: assembly lube - 02/23/21 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Exit1965
The OP was specifically asking about what would be OK sitting around for potentially an extended period of time without being started. Are people saying what they have suggested will last months/years on an engine in storage?

Or if not, what would have the best chance to last a long time just sitting in storage?

Purely for protection while stored? JB80. And most important, stored in a location that is climate controlled.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: assembly lube - 02/24/21 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by n20mstr
STP . My favorite

iagree Since the early 80's
© 2024 Moparts Forums