Posted By: theraif

Willys Gasser and A990 dodge - 02/13/21 08:23 PM

drive
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Willys Gasser and A990 dodge - 02/13/21 11:28 PM

Thank you for that story...
Posted By: A/MP

Re: Willys Gasser and A990 dodge - 02/14/21 04:10 AM

Nascar running drag racing? I wonder if they would have done a better job than Wally?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Willys Gasser and A990 dodge - 02/14/21 04:27 AM

In the mid 1960s you had AHRA, NHRA and several other sanctioning groups fighting each other. for races and race tracks.
Larry Carrier(SP?) started IHRA and Don Garlit and several other pro racers started PDA to get racers paid more for winning in the early 1970s up
When I first started racing NHRA in stock class in 1973 we didn't win any money for winning our class at the Winternationals , no contingency money either whiney
Did I mention NHRA back then was really cheap on paying any and all racers rant
Still the same today I think shruggy
NASCAR did the drag racing sponsoring thing for several years and quit whiney shruggy
I'm sure the crowds down south like longer races than short drag races work shruggy
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Willys Gasser and A990 dodge - 02/14/21 05:26 PM

Here are a couple pics from a Local track ( "Niagara" closed in '74) with NASCAR sanctioning. Just noticed that two of the cars pic'd have been here in my shop, Gene Schwartz - tires, Kohler Bros for some tin work, looooong after these pics were taken.

Attached picture nascar Niag-2.jpg
Attached picture nascar Niag.jpg
Posted By: Handygun

Re: Willys Gasser and A990 dodge - 02/14/21 05:47 PM

The Gene Schwartz car used to come to Beech Bend for the Hot Rod Reunion. I don't know what his launch rpm was but it was astronomical
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Willys Gasser and A990 dodge - 02/14/21 10:42 PM

Geneo Likes to spin them fast +10K RPM...
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Willys Gasser and A990 dodge - 02/14/21 11:29 PM

Where the heck did that 990 wind up I wonder ?
Cool story , and I do get it.
My first car was a 1970 Chevelle that I puked the motor and left sitting behind a gas station after taking the cowl induction hood and rally wheels off of it.
The significance of a Dodge 990 when it was new wasn't near what it is today.
Looking back , you wince.
But there was no Barrett Jackson to guide us. laugh2
© 2024 Moparts Forums