Moparts

Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft?

Posted By: 408strokerdart

Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/01/09 06:48 PM

I found out that my aluminum driveshaft is to long now that I added a thick mid plate and was going to just send it back to Mark Williams to be shortened. They said they can't shorten aluminum drive shafts??? I know I should have asked, but can anyone here tell me what the reason might possibly be that they can't shorten it?

Guess I will just have to sell what I have and get another then. Someone will get another screaming deal in the parts section.
Posted By: DRDart

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/01/09 06:51 PM

Quote:

I found out that my aluminum driveshaft is to long now that I added a thick mid plate and was going to just send it back to Mark Williams to be shortened. They said they can't shorten aluminum drive shafts??? I know I should have asked, but can anyone here tell me what the reason might possibly be that they can't shorten it?

Guess I will just have to sell what I have and get another then. Someone will get another screaming deal in the parts section.

As far as I have been told you can shorten them once but after that you need a new one for strength & reliability which gets expensive
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/01/09 06:56 PM

Never heard of such a thing cant see why
you couldnt have it shortened multiple times if you
have the material
Posted By: Gumbydammit

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/01/09 06:56 PM

Call Dynatech or Inland Empire and get a second opinion.

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/01/09 07:00 PM

Quote:

Never heard of such a thing cant see why
you couldnt have it shortened multiple times if you
have the material

They said that it weakens the aluminum or it could just be a 700.00 sales pitch But I could see the logic in that though
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/01/09 07:09 PM

They said that it weakens the aluminum or it could just be a 700.00 sales pitch But I could see the logic in that though

If that was the case... why didnt it weaken it the
first time.... its going to the same temp

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/01/09 07:13 PM

I cannot see the logic in this either. I just wanted to get others opinions here. If it was a sales pitch, then it doesn't work when everyone elses comparable shafts are $200 less than yours across the board.

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/01/09 07:26 PM

Quote:

If that was the case... why didnt it weaken it the
first time.... its going to the same temp

maybe someone with more knowledge on the subjuect will help with this topic just sharing the info that was give to me

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/01/09 07:29 PM

Quote:

I cannot see the logic in this either. I just wanted to get others opinions here. If it was a sales pitch, then it doesn't work when everyone elses comparable shafts are $200 less than yours across the board.

well no need to be like that now just trying to share info??? you don't even know what my drive shaft is so how can it be comparable

Good luck with your situation
Posted By: CJK440

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/01/09 07:33 PM

Is it welded or bonded???

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/01/09 07:35 PM

mine is welded

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/01/09 08:43 PM

Quote:

Is it welded or bonded???

Welded.
Posted By: Edge

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/01/09 08:44 PM

I am getting an aluminum driveshaft shortened two inches tommorow. No concerns were raised by the driveline shop.
Posted By: G_bob

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/01/09 08:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

well no need to be like that now just trying to share info??? you don't even know what my drive shaft is so how can it be comparable

Good luck with your situation

I think he was refering to the driveline shop's product with the "yours". Their's is $200 more than everyone elses, not your's.

At least, that's how I read it.
Posted By: deaks

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/01/09 09:06 PM

Apparently, the bonded ones cant be shortened, an experienced chassis guy over here tried welding one and it wouldn't take, he said that Mark Williams were not very forthcoming with the type of alloy they are made from.
I have got a welded one which i'm having shortened, so i'm interested in the outcome here.
Mike
Posted By: The Shadow

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/01/09 10:24 PM

Denny's built mine and shortened it after I put a dana in. There were no issues as they cut the end off and tossed it. They welded a new one on.It cost nearly as much as a whole new shaft to have it shortened.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/01/09 11:05 PM

Now I'm confused.
I can understand why the staff was told to say "it can't be done", because of legal issues, etc.
If the ends are deeply inserted and mechanically locked (spline/flute) in the tube before welding I'd think it would be a nightmare to try to un-do or re-do this.

But.. why would a weld cutting only the tube itself not be possible?
Can't be strength - if you move down the tube 6" so the area hasn't been heated at all, a simple sleeve or stub insert makes the new joint far stronger than the original tube with only a few ounces lost.

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/02/09 03:49 AM

Quote:

Apparently, the bonded ones cant be shortened, an experienced chassis guy over here tried welding one and it wouldn't take, he said that Mark Williams were not very forthcoming with the type of alloy they are made from.
I have got a welded one which i'm having shortened, so i'm interested in the outcome here.
Mike

It is their welded version and the tube is clearly marked 6061 T6 aluminum. I am sure that the tube has a short register in it to maintain concentricity and then is welded. I don't believe that it can't be shortened. It might be cost prohibitive to do, but not possible?

Anyone need a shaft for a 727/Dana 60 111" A-body?

Guess I will post up in the classifides and get a new one on order.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/02/09 04:10 AM

Dont give up yet! The only problem I see with shortening a shaft is the amount of change in the length. Under a 1/2" may not be possible because of the previous welds width that needs to be cut out to get to fresh tube. mike
Posted By: G_bob

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/02/09 04:36 AM

Quote:

Dont give up yet! The only problem I see with shortening a shaft is the amount of change in the length. Under a 1/2" may not be possible because of the previous welds width that needs to be cut out to get to fresh tube. mike

If the need to shorten it is caused by just the thickness of the mid-plate, that is probably the case.
Posted By: wheelsup68dart

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/02/09 06:02 AM

I can't believe that your midplate added so much extra length to the assembly that now the driveshaft is to long.Is it truly binding or are you just worried about it binding? Give the measurements. Do you have 3/4" clearence with the car down on the ground? I would like to know this info. BTW they are full of it, I am positive you can weld it multiple times.
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 04/02/09 06:10 AM

Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/02/09 12:10 PM

Cutting the spline will do no good since it doesn't bottom out in the trans.If your a ladder bar car can you adjust the bar lenght to get the distance or if your running springs put a spacer between the front spring perch and the body.We have shortened aluminum shafts before with no problems.We chuck the shaft in a lathe and turn off most all the old weld,cut the correct length and re-weld.

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/02/09 12:21 PM

The length of the drive shaft is not my only problem. I have also changed engine combinations and the new engine will put out 100+ more hp and the shaft is only a 3 1/4" dia shaft. Nobody I have talked to recommends it for my application that I have now. This is the reason behind my switch from wanting to shorten it to just replacement. If the car was lighter I could get away with it. Everyones comments tell me that they were simply full of it though.
Posted By: Ben Holt

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/02/09 12:50 PM

Who did you talk to at MW? Travis is always a big help to me over there.... I am surprised that's what they told you, but they also may not like the 3 1/4" shaft. Everything we use from them in AL is 4". Just a thought
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/02/09 12:51 PM

Quote:

The length of the drive shaft is not my only problem. I have also changed engine combinations and the new engine will put out 100+ more hp and the shaft is only a 3 1/4" dia shaft. Nobody I have talked to recommends it for my application that I have now. This is the reason behind my switch from wanting to shorten it to just replacement. If the car was lighter I could get away with it. Everyones comments tell me that they were simply full of it though.

I must have misunderstood the question.What is the issue of application?I see many big tire,hi hp cars running a similar 3-1/2 aluminum shaft even a few at #3400?We also have many heavy duty,hi torque trucks in our construction fleet with aluminum and aluminum/composite shafts.

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/02/09 04:04 PM

Quote:

Who did you talk to at MW? Travis is always a big help to me over there.... I am surprised that's what they told you, but they also may not like the 3 1/4" shaft. Everything we use from them in AL is 4". Just a thought

Ben,

It might have been Travis that I spoke to. I hadn't even mentioned that the shaft was 3 1/4" dia. before he told me that they can't shorten it. Nobody that I called recommended a driveshaft smaller than 3 1/2" and about half of them suggested 4". I want as small as possible though since I have little space in the tunnel with my tubular driveshaft loop.
Posted By: rdrmod6

Re: Can't shorten aluminum driveshaft? - 04/02/09 09:09 PM

I thought that I would put in my 2 cents on the welding aluminum issue. 6061 t6 is heattreated and artificaly age hardend from my understanding this process will need to be redone. If this is not done you could, and proably will see a rreduction in service life due to cracking. If the original builder had the driveshaft heat treated and then sold them to the vendor the vendor would have to arrange for welding and heat treating and on a single piece this might cost more than you want to spend. just an idea
© 2024 Moparts Forums