Moparts

Indy valve covers

Posted By: cl440

Indy valve covers - 03/31/09 01:12 PM

Looking to install the breathers that came with my header evac kit into our new Indy cast Aluminum covers. What is the best way to go? A rubber grommet with built in baffle? A screw in baffle?

Attached picture 5131408-Duster7-3.jpg
Posted By: cudabunch

Re: Indy valve covers - 03/31/09 01:25 PM

Screw in as the rubber ones leak and end up getting torn and such.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Indy valve covers - 03/31/09 01:26 PM

Quote:

Looking to install the breathers that came with my header evac kit into our new Indy cast Aluminum covers. What is the best way to go? A rubber grommet with built in baffle? A screw in baffle?

We have done them with the grommets and they work find as long as you keep the hole tight and the fit good.Don't forget to baffel the breather.

Re: Indy valve covers - 03/31/09 01:32 PM

I found these at Summit. I may try them

Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Indy valve covers - 03/31/09 02:09 PM

Loose the breathers and get a vacuum pump
Posted By: FY1TA

Re: Indy valve covers - 03/31/09 04:14 PM

Quote:

I found these at Summit. I may try them

Thats what I put in mine and they work great .
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Indy valve covers - 03/31/09 04:30 PM

If you decide to go with screw in baffles + rubber grommets, try OEM Mopar grommets PN 2946079 instead of the wimpy/thin generic aftermarket stuff. The OEM grommets are way better and they don't tear easily.

Re: Indy valve covers - 03/31/09 07:31 PM

Quote:

If you decide to go with screw in baffles + rubber grommets, try OEM Mopar grommets PN 2946079 instead of the wimpy/thin generic aftermarket stuff. The OEM grommets are way better and they don't tear easily.

Those grommets look HD! But I would then need to have a plate type baffle to screw to the underside of the Indy cover. Similar to my cast MP covers correct?

Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Indy valve covers - 03/31/09 07:59 PM

Yep, will most likely need an add-on baffle.

About the only bummer w/those grommets is the hole has to be opened up bigger than the generic 1.22-1.25 size. I forget the exact dimension but it's a skosh larger. But they're so much better than the generic aftermarket grommets it's worth it

Re: Indy valve covers - 03/31/09 08:17 PM

Quote:

Yep, will most likely need an add-on baffle.

About the only bummer w/those grommets is the hole has to be opened up bigger than the generic 1.22-1.25 size. I forget the exact dimension but it's a skosh larger. But they're so much better than the generic aftermarket grommets it's worth it

Found a set on ebag and they say:

These grommets fit in a 1 1/2 inch hole in the valve cover. They have a 1 inch opening for the vent breather tube.
Posted By: Lime446

Re: Indy valve covers - 03/31/09 09:23 PM

I just got my valve covers back from Mark Martin aeicnc.com they did an awesome job BTW are indy covers and I've been wondering now what I'm going to do for baffle and breathers too.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Indy valve covers - 03/31/09 09:42 PM

Quote:

And the breathers stay put
Posted By: mbogina

Re: Indy valve covers - 03/31/09 11:30 PM

The Summit bolt in style fit into a 1 3/8" hole, the same size as the Mopar grommet. I just replaced my Mopar grommets w the Summit style in my Indy Hemi Valve covers.
Posted By: Bubba

Re: Indy valve covers - 04/01/09 01:24 AM

Anyone know of a Oil Fill Setup that could be used without a bung being welded in? I also have Indy Covers but didn't put a provision in for the Oil Fill when the Vacuum Pump fittings were installed.

Re: Indy valve covers - 04/03/09 01:05 AM

Got the baffles from summit today. I have to say I am very impressed with them. They look great and seem to be very well designed. We installed them in the covers and all looks well! Hopefully we will have them "track tested" soon.

Posted By: FY1TA

Re: Indy valve covers - 04/03/09 01:16 AM

You should put a drop of locktite on them . One of mine came loose .

Re: Indy valve covers - 04/03/09 01:47 AM

Quote:

You should put a drop of locktite on them . One of mine came loose .

Yes, Good point. Thanks

Attached picture 5138577-Duster6-4-06.jpg
Posted By: nhramark

Re: Indy valve covers - 04/03/09 12:38 PM

Quote:

I just got my valve covers back from Mark Martin aeicnc.com they did an awesome job BTW are indy covers and I've been wondering now what I'm going to do for baffle and breathers too.

Glad you are happy with them Dustin!

Attached picture 5139351-lsaltmoparvc021.jpg
Posted By: 72Challenger

Re: Indy valve covers - 04/03/09 01:18 PM

I used K&N breathers with the rubber in past but they leaked a bit and spit some oil drops every now and then. I then got 2 pieces of gaspipe w/ thread which I screwed in the covers. The K&N breathers happened to fit tight in these pipes without any lock or whatsoever. Still running it that way without any problems.

That summit solutions does look goo though...

Re: Indy valve covers - 04/23/09 01:38 PM

Baffles worked good. Didn't suck or leak any oil on our 4 test passes.

Attached picture 5183235-Duster4-19-09.jpg
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Indy valve covers - 04/23/09 02:48 PM

Bubba, I have the same problem as you. The only thing I could come up with was pull one valve cover off and use a trans funnel from Advance to pur the oil down into the lifter galley. Maybe not the best idea but it beats spending 20 mins. trying to pour the oil in the small hole in the breather.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Indy valve covers - 04/24/09 12:55 AM

i just drilled & tapped the covers to fit -8 fittings. this way theres no oil dripping on the headers & making a mess. the valley plate also got drilled & put a capping fitting in there for adding oil. trying to get oil in thru the open covers is a pain as you know the oil is going leak out at the back of the head.

Attached picture 5184485-Picture623.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums