Moparts

What ever happen to this car?

Posted By: racerx

What ever happen to this car? - 11/08/20 01:15 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EffTDznWuQ4
It was suppose to be built for drag week shruggy.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/08/20 02:31 PM

It was cool
Posted By: Dragula

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/08/20 03:18 PM

Last I knew the heads were leaking water and were ported too far....Never heard what the plan was, and never saw it again.

I loved the car, but would have done two things differently....Would own it in a heart beat if I could. Its a drag week car and is one of my life goals.
-I would have only run one procharger and saved on the weight and complexity
-I would have switched to Predator heads
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/08/20 04:02 PM

I know at one time he worked overseas which i am sure made things more difficult.

It would be nice to have an update.
Posted By: Edge

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/08/20 04:36 PM

[i][/i]

Last information I recall was that car had been switched to hemi power ? That was years ago. Good chance car is sitting ( they tend to cost less money that way ) and hopefully we will see it making passes again in the future. Got to give the guy credit he took this project a long ways a really big undertaking.
Posted By: doggs330

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/08/20 05:32 PM

Looks like he hasn't posted here on Moparts in a long time. I was really looking forward to seeing that car make a statement on dragweek over the turbo cars. Seems like he never got through the issues of the new build but I believe he does still spend the majority of his time overseas. It's been a few years since the twin F2 setup was sold and there was talk of turbos. He is still active on FB but not a lot of updates on the car. https://www.facebook.com/dusterdj572/

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/08/20 06:13 PM

Thanks for the FB link now i'm a follower....Lol
Posted By: Dragula

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/08/20 06:30 PM

I see he switched to a Hemi in the FB link.....
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/09/20 01:45 PM

Another high profile build that never even got its feet wet. rolleyes
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/09/20 02:30 PM

Apparently he left this site because of the negative flack. Very nice build on the car.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/09/20 02:38 PM

A lot of people get in over their heads with some of these builds. I may be mistaken but I think I saw this one for sale on Facebook
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/10/20 01:22 AM

There was huge “hype” around that ride at one time.... almost like when Wes built that BA tan 73ish Dart.
Posted By: doggs330

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/10/20 01:42 AM

After looking at his website, DusterDJ, I see the car was built by Jake's Performance. He was the one murdered over a craigslist deal a few years ago. Not sure if that has anything to do with the car being successful but worthy of noting, I think.
Posted By: ksj

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/10/20 04:35 AM

Miss Jake. DJ would have me go get pics of the progress when it was being built as Jake kept forgetting to.LOL.Last I knew the twin prochargers were ditched and it was going to be Hemi powered and a set of twins. DJs B-day was yesterday and hes still in Europe working. I "think" it went to Abel Performance(?) to be re done.I have no idea what the status is on it. FYI Jakes Performance Fabrication is still in business cranking out awesome craftsmanship worthy of his name.

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/10/20 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by J_BODY
There was huge “hype” around that ride at one time.... almost like when Wes built that BA tan 73ish Dart.

iagree laugh2 Yep. Big talk of making a statement on DragWeek, but year after year after year it never showed.
Must be a grudge racer thing...a whole lotta talk, but at the end of the day there's nothing but crickets. laugh2
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/10/20 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda

iagree laugh2 Yep. Big talk of making a statement on DragWeek, but year after year after year it never showed.
Must be a grudge racer thing...a whole lotta talk, but at the end of the day there's nothing but crickets. laugh2

Nothing against anyone that has taken on one of the high end builds, but it's no where near the same as building a 10.00 car. Even after the car is built, the money flow, is just starting. Dialing in a combo like that is not easy, nor cheap. It also requires a LOT of help from other people. If you do not have a couple competent people helping you, it just doesn't get to a point of where you are happy with your investment. The money drain just burns people out.

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/10/20 02:44 PM

Or you keep plugging away at it and enjoy the journey.

I wish I had help. It would have been easier.

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/10/20 02:52 PM

I just don't get all the hype, making claims, and then never backing anything up. All the "look at me" build posts and then bam...nothing.
Posted By: one bad fish

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/10/20 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
I just don't get all the hype, making claims, and then never backing anything up. All the "look at me" build posts and then bam...nothing.
like they said its not easy im sure things came up life work and stuff but this site aint easy on people either
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/10/20 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX

Nothing against anyone that has taken on one of the high end builds, but it's no where near the same as building a 10.00 car. Even after the car is built, the money flow, is just starting. Dialing in a combo like that is not easy, nor cheap. It also requires a LOT of help from other people. If you do not have a couple competent people helping you, it just doesn't get to a point of where you are happy with your investment. The money drain just burns people out.

AMEN!!! Kinda right where I am at right now.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/10/20 05:24 PM

I believe he is in military , he has been in Germany for some time I know .. he posts on Facebook a bit
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/11/20 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by bigdad
I believe he is in military , he has been in Germany for some time I know .. he posts on Facebook a bit

I thought he was a contractor but could be active duty. Being a contractor to the military pays WAY better. Ask me how I know smile
Posted By: bigdad

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/11/20 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
Originally Posted by bigdad

I thought he was a contractor but could be active duty. Being a contractor to the military pays WAY better. Ask me how I know smile

Well, not sure but .. he posted a picture in his dress uniform .. Happy Birthday too by the way
Posted By: astjp2

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 11/15/20 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Superfreak
Apparently he left this site because of the negative flack. Very nice build on the car.

He would have never survived the OLD Pirate 4X4 for more than a day, those guys were brutal!
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 01/18/21 04:31 AM

Come on man, it was a '72 brother LOL. And for the record, if there was any hype about my old car, it didn't come from me. All I did was share the build on here. Had some fun and made some passes, then onto the next, and the next and next. I don't get attached to nuts/bolts. Love 'em n leave em for the next adventure..........50 cars later over the years.
Posted By: John Burdine

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 01/18/21 04:44 PM

Long time, no see...how you doing Wes?
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 01/18/21 05:12 PM

[u][/u]
Originally Posted by 493_john

Doing well, John. I'm about 90% recovered from a really bad MX accident I had 1 Aug 2019.

- C2 neck fracture
- Broke right clavicle
- Broke left shoulder really bad
- Broke 9 ribs
- Cracked pelvis/vertical shear (usually kills people)
- Broke 2 left fingers
- Fractured right foot
- A lot of nerve damage

I was in the 3 different hospitals for 3.5 months. Thankfully no TBI complications. Lol, it’s been crazy man, but I’m recovering faster than anticipated because I was in great physical condition. Lucky though and all thanks to God.

Give me a call to catch up or I'll hit you up today. Hope you and family are doing well.
Posted By: LA360

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 01/18/21 11:38 PM

I don't see managing a build from another country being particularly easy or straight forward, especially if you're in different time zones. Sometimes people's lives get in the way as well, and cars become less important.

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 01/20/21 11:29 AM

Anyone hear from DusterDJ ?

I hope he still ownes it.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 01/20/21 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by FastmOp
Anyone hear from DusterDJ ?

I hope he still ownes it.

I think the car still resides in the OKC area. I know it got a hemi and zoomies but that has been some time ago now. I think the shop Abel Performance had done some work on it.

When that car was first built I actually saw it make some very short shake down passes. It was brand new and lots of teething pains but it ran did burnouts and made it back to the pits on its own best I remember. That twin pro charger setup was pretty wild sounding.

I think he had the funds and the right people lined up at one time. I think the whole living in Germany part made things tough lol, sometimes I have a hard time getting out to work in the garage attached to my house, I couldn't imagine travelling across the world.
Posted By: GY3

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 01/20/21 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by EvilB1Dart
[u][/u]
Originally Posted by 493_john

Doing well, John. I'm about 90% recovered from a really bad MX accident I had 1 Aug 2019.

- C2 neck fracture
- Broke right clavicle
- Broke left shoulder really bad
- Broke 9 ribs
- Cracked pelvis/vertical shear (usually kills people)
- Broke 2 left fingers
- Fractured right foot
- A lot of nerve damage

I was in the 3 different hospitals for 3.5 months. Thankfully no TBI complications. Lol, it’s been crazy man, but I’m recovering faster than anticipated because I was in great physical condition. Lucky though and all thanks to God.

Give me a call to catch up or I'll hit you up today. Hope you and family are doing well.

Holy cow!

Hope you are doing better. That's crazy!
Posted By: HOTMOPR

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 01/21/21 06:30 AM

His name is Darryl Johnson. He is working in Germany. I believe he does IT for the military has a fancy BMW over there. He does some roll racing with. The duster is about done I think. His dad has been handling it while hes been gone. It is hemi now and I am pretty sure he went to turbo in the same location. He was having problems with the dual drive eating itself. It does have a Abel racing banner on the windshield..
Posted By: Benforsp

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 01/21/21 10:09 PM

I think the dual pro charger setup is for sale on Facebook.

Attached picture E6834833-639F-47A1-9CC8-1BD6A721EC55.jpeg

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 01/21/21 11:16 PM

I also seen that i thought i read somewhere that the pic was for attention only.

Re: What ever happen to this car? - 01/25/21 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by racerx
I also seen that i thought i read somewhere that the pic was for attention only.

iagree

Never understood the dual procharger deal. Why spin two of em when one will make all the power you need? Unless it's just a show poodle and you're trying to wow people w/ looks b/c the performance doesn't back it up.
© 2024 Moparts Forums