Moparts

Best ring pack for pan evac equiped race bb?

Posted By: gregsdart

Best ring pack for pan evac equiped race bb? - 10/17/20 08:32 PM

Curious how thin a ring pack and what tension can be used with a pan evac system? 512 bigblock bracket motor.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Best ring pack for pan evac equiped race bb? - 10/17/20 08:35 PM

Good question. Hook a pressure sending unit up to your data logger and see what the numbers are. Personally I don't trust a pan evac system to do much of anything. If the engine had a vacuum pump then I'd go with a metric ring pack. We've used the Mahle 1/1/3 mm ring packs and they free up some power that is for sure.

Re: Best ring pack for pan evac equiped race bb? - 10/17/20 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
Good question. Hook a pressure sending unit up to your data logger and see what the numbers are. Personally I don't trust a pan evac system to do much of anything. If the engine had a vacuum pump then I'd go with a metric ring pack. We've used the Mahle 1/1/3 mm ring packs and they free up some power that is for sure.

No running motor at this time, just some pistons with .043/.043/3/16 ring pack. I have considered what to do with the megablock that i split a cylinder in. Fix it, or sell it and a potential buyer doesn't use a vacuum pump. The pistons and rings in seven cylinders only have seven runs on them, and could be built pretty reasonably for what he wants if the .043 rings will work.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Best ring pack for pan evac equiped race bb? - 10/17/20 10:09 PM

They'll work with an evac system, just not as well as they would work with a pump.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Best ring pack for pan evac equiped race bb? - 10/18/20 02:07 AM

I bought and used a .043,.043 with a 1/8 inch low tension oil ring for my 518 C.I. 400 block current bracket motor with a vacuum pump up
I'm not sure what current trick racing sizes are available now as I built that motor two winters ago shruggy
I like it a lot, runs good , makes a lot of power boogie
Posted By: R3 Racing

Re: Best ring pack for pan evac equiped race bb? - 10/18/20 02:20 PM

Check you PMs.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Best ring pack for pan evac equiped race bb? - 10/21/20 07:33 PM

Just food for thought here. My son rebuilt a magnum 360. Ball honed , and a standard forged piston. Im pretty sure 1/16 rings. Your standard moly type off the shelf piston/ring.
He put an evac system on it, and a vac gauge on the valve cover. Of course it produced little to no vacum. I told him get rid of all the rubber gromets etc. He fabbed some alum pucks with the centers tapped for 3/8 pipe. He welded these onto the valve covers. Got some -10 AN fittings and hose and plumbed it to the headers. Then he put one with a check valve to a breather tank so if there was positive pressure it could vent. This AN setup produces some vacum ! At idle the gauge just comes off "0" . At 55mph on the freeway it has 3" of vac. At the track depending on the air it produces 3-4" of vacum at the stripe. I was impressed. The key is sealing up the connections at the valve covers , as much as you can

Re: Best ring pack for pan evac equiped race bb? - 10/21/20 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by n20mstr
Just food for thought here. My son rebuilt a magnum 360. Ball honed , and a standard forged piston. Im pretty sure 1/16 rings. Your standard moly type off the shelf piston/ring.
He put an evac system on it, and a vac gauge on the valve cover. Of course it produced little to no vacum. I told him get rid of all the rubber gromets etc. He fabbed some alum pucks with the centers tapped for 3/8 pipe. He welded these onto the valve covers. Got some -10 AN fittings and hose and plumbed it to the headers. Then he put one with a check valve to a breather tank so if there was positive pressure it could vent. This AN setup produces some vacum ! At idle the gauge just comes off "0" . At 55mph on the freeway it has 3" of vac. At the track depending on the air it produces 3-4" of vacum at the stripe. I was impressed. The key is sealing up the connections at the valve covers , as much as you can
Great to know! Thanks.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Best ring pack for pan evac equiped race bb? - 10/22/20 01:28 PM

Call or email Total Seal.

They strongly encourage folks to call before they start a project.

https://www.totalseal.com/
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Best ring pack for pan evac equiped race bb? - 10/22/20 01:33 PM

This last time I went w/ a .043" top, 1/16" 2nd and 3/16" oil ring on my new pistons. New slugs and fresh bores sure seems to have made this old motor run better.
Fresh motor check-out/break-in pass earlier this year it ran 9.73 at 139.6 mph w/ only a 1.43 sixty foot. This was all motor w/ a real tight nitrous converter and 3.54 gear.
Posted By: Dduster

Re: Best ring pack for pan evac equiped race bb? - 11/10/20 04:07 AM

Whose Big Block pistons You use for the 1/1/3mm ring package?

Re: Best ring pack for pan evac equiped race bb? - 11/12/20 01:23 AM

Same Question??: "Whose Big Block pistons You use for the 1/1/3mm ring package?"
Posted By: dvw

Re: Best ring pack for pan evac equiped race bb? - 11/12/20 01:48 AM

I used Diamond.
Doug
Posted By: sr4440

Re: Best ring pack for pan evac equiped race bb? - 11/12/20 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dduster
Same Question??: "Whose Big Block pistons You use for the 1/1/3mm ring package?"

i used .9mm .9mm 3mm the pistons are ross

Joe

Re: Best ring pack for pan evac equiped race bb? - 11/12/20 07:28 PM

Thank You for the information.
Posted By: WedgeFED

Re: Best ring pack for pan evac equiped race bb? - 11/12/20 09:05 PM

ICON will also do any ring pack you want.
© 2024 Moparts Forums