Moparts

Six pac pistons

Posted By: cudaman1969

Six pac pistons - 07/22/20 07:04 PM

Pick up a set of six pac pistons, 70 style. I have the later low compression ones ? (In the hole about 1/4) on the six pac rods and internally balanced crank. My question should I have it all rebalanced again? Just for street use and occasional blast. Opinions needed
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: Six pac pistons - 07/23/20 01:48 AM

hi

weigh the two types and that will tell if the pistons need adjusted !
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Six pac pistons - 07/23/20 01:52 AM

Pic of piston top?

There is only ONE style of 6p piston
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Six pac pistons - 07/23/20 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass..
Pic of piston top?

There is only ONE style of 6p piston

Me thinks he is talking about the low compression pistons in his motor now with that low deck height work
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Six pac pistons - 07/23/20 12:33 PM

I don't completely understand the question, but if your swapping out stock low compression pistons and rods for 6pak pistons with the big rods you'll definitely need a re-balance. going from lighter to heavier parts makes balance a little more complicated. weight will have to be added to the crank, or dampner, or converter or maybe all.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Six pac pistons - 07/23/20 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by cudaman1969
Pick up a set of six pac pistons, 70 style. I have the later low compression ones ? (In the hole about 1/4) on the six pac rods and internally balanced crank. My question should I have it all rebalanced again? Just for street use and occasional blast. Opinions needed

Why don’t you explain what you have in the motor now (pistons, rods) and what you just bought.
What damper do you have, what converter, etc.

You’ll get better information that way.

Re: Six pac pistons - 07/23/20 06:41 PM

Ok here goes, have only a clue which engine the ones I have came out of. No valve notches, the ones I’m getting do. I have a motor home block (1974 or later?) with what looks like same pistons and big rods. They could also be just regular 70-71 hp pistons-big rods too.
But I’ll do what one suggested, weigh both, how much difference can I get away with?
I know what regular balancing is, I have shapers that turn two pieces of steel 7000 rpm but haven’t delved into the science of engine balancing the reason I ask on here. The assembly I have has been internally balanced before. Enough info?
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Six pac pistons - 07/23/20 06:51 PM

weight will have to be added to the crank counterweights, or removed from the cheek close to the crankpins.
Choose one: Mallory tungsten @ $$$ per gram, or lots of machine work.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Six pac pistons - 07/23/20 06:55 PM

In the OP you state the pistons are 1/4" in the hole. I can't think of any stock combo that would be deeper than around .180" down.

Generally, if an engine is shop-balanced there will be stampings on one of the crank counterweights.

Re: Six pac pistons - 07/23/20 07:01 PM

It was a guess but I can measure if you need an exact measurement.
As for stampings how about a piece of mallery
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Six pac pistons - 07/24/20 03:36 AM

I don’t recall ever seeing any 440 steel crank big rod motor being internally balanced or any cast crank being internally balanced, you mention that in your first post.
But, if what you had running ran without vibration you could match the new piston weight to the old. I will assume the six pack piston is heavier since it has more CD.

I would just weigh the piston sets you have and lighten the new (hopefully heavier) piston to match the old.

Re: Six pac pistons - 07/24/20 04:45 AM

Isn’t the blueprint spec on these pistons ABOVE the deck ... .010 or so.

And as far as REAL LOW down the hole .. that has to be the 413 industrial motor.... near 250 ... IIRC.

Then there was a huge dish in the piston AND THEN the huge combustion chamber in the head .. like 100 cc PLUS !
Posted By: metallicareload

Re: Six pac pistons - 07/24/20 07:14 AM

Speed-Pro/TRW L2355F has a compression height of 2.061", so around 0.021" down depending on whats been done.

What's the compression height of the new pistons? I don't know what actual factory six pack pistons have, but it must be close.

How much does balancing cost? Easy for me to spend your money, but I wouldn't think twice about having it balanced, provided that it wouldn't require adding weight and there was a "significant" difference in weight between the pistons.

Re: Six pac pistons - 07/24/20 12:26 PM

i can see where putting heavy pistons and rods on a cast crank could be an expensive balance. it's easier to balance for lighter parts than for heavier parts. there may be better alternatives.

Re: Six pac pistons - 07/24/20 03:37 PM

Ok got them today, both measured up
SP piston is +- 2.085 comp height with a 10.72 deck that comes up zero deck height
Other on is .110 lower or 1.97 ch
crank is steel and has plugs welded in so internally balanced
Pins on SP are thicker so to adjust the weight I could do some lightweight tapered pins
But, I don’t see any signs of balancing on the rods or pistons so just as well get it all rebalanced again
Now I’m torn between putting the pistons in an already good running 440 or use the 70 block I have with perfect standard cylinder bores
And rework another set of 452s. But then I’ll have two extra 440s and no cars to put them in.
Thanks for your help guys

Re: Six pac pistons - 07/24/20 04:26 PM

another question; do you want to run pump gas?
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Six pac pistons - 07/24/20 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Transman
I don’t recall ever seeing any 440 steel crank big rod motor being internally balanced.

'72-later big rod forged crank 440's were internally balanced because the lighter smog piston compensated for the rod weight.

Re: Six pac pistons - 07/24/20 05:16 PM

That would explain the motor home engine I have, straight balancer with a chamfered edge.
I will run 93 gas with the right dist curve, just a pro street tubbed 73 cuda, not a daily driver.

Re: Six pac pistons - 07/25/20 05:33 AM

They are REAL HEAVY pistons.... EZ pull weight out of them with big end mill OR EVEN a big drill bit using a good drill press.
Posted By: Roughbird72

Re: Six pac pistons - 07/25/20 01:18 PM

They are REAL HEAVY pistons.... EZ pull weight out of them with big end mill OR EVEN a big drill bit using a good drill press.

I remember getting my balance card back when I used a set of the SP 6pk pistons my first build eek
Posted By: mopower440

Re: Six pac pistons - 01/01/21 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Roughbird72

I remember getting my balance card back when I used a set of the SP 6pk pistons my first build eek

is there enough 'meat' on the 2355 pistons that can be removed to lighten them to a decent level? Asking because i also use them..
Posted By: randavis

Re: Six pac pistons - 01/01/21 04:23 PM

Years ago, I had .125" milled off the top of some Sealed Power 2350P pistons to lower the compression. After milling, those pistons weighed 1023 grams with pins. That engine ran for about 30,000 miles. I don't know how much different the 2355's are.
I'm finally retiring that engine. I am having a 499 built.
Posted By: mopower440

Re: Six pac pistons - 01/01/21 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by randavis
Years ago, I had .125" milled off the top of some Sealed Power 2350P pistons to lower the compression. After milling, those pistons weighed 1023 grams with pins. That engine ran for about 30,000 miles. I don't know how much different the 2355's are.
I'm finally retiring that engine. I am having a 499 built.

what happened at 30,000 miles? Did it give out or was it still going fine?

Re: Six pac pistons - 01/01/21 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by mopower440
Originally Posted by Roughbird72

is there enough 'meat' on the 2355 pistons that can be removed to lighten them to a decent level? Asking because i also use them..

I lightened a set meself and had a set Bridgeported ... dont remember the weight saving but it was substantial

Re: Six pac pistons - 01/01/21 06:58 PM

Which one is more the culprit, the heavy rod or piston. I’ve been advised to use the reg rod with a big weight savings.
Sox did the drag test in a 69 lift off (stock 440 with six-pac intake and cam) but did anyone do a test in a 70 with the hc pistons and big rods to see which was faster?
Posted By: rb446

Re: Six pac pistons - 01/01/21 06:59 PM

Back in 1988 we internally balanced my 1968 factory six-pck block with std. damper. replacement +.030" Pistons weighed 900gms and the rods 1100, is all I remember...was race use only...
Posted By: randavis

Re: Six pac pistons - 01/01/21 10:57 PM

It had a miss the last time I drove it. Checked the passenger side compression and 2, 4, and 6 had 90#, 8 had 150#.
I put a Sniper on the car last year and I think that experimenting with AFR and timing, I may have broken some rings.
The car seemed to rev quicker with the lightened pistons. Almost like a small block.
© 2024 Moparts Forums